Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default The hottest of hot takes in ISH history

Lebron is a less aggressive Cory Maggette

Jahil Okafor is a less ball dominant Magic Johnson

Steph Curry is a Chris Jackson

Default Re: The hottest of hot takes in ISH history

Derrick Rose is a shiftier Stephon Marbury with way better intangibles but worse playmaking.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

The Chris Jackson comparisons are always taken the wrong way. They aren’t generally even made by people who have any dislike of curry. The other two you post, it would be somebody making a joke or being a diabolical hater but the people making the Chris Jackson comparison are saying it in praise. A lot of people who don’t remember him look at the numbers and think someone is hating on curry trying to compare him to a bum when it’s just pointing out one of the only players, even slightly reminiscent of his play style from those days.

That’s what field Jackson was doing. Not making a direct comparison saying they’re the same level of clear. It’s the same thing Steve Kerr was doing:

“The only guys I can think of that are close would be Mark Price, Steve Nash and Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf,” Kerr said. “He had a lot of that, but didn’t have the same range that Steph has. Nash didn’t have the speed. But Mark Price, Steph’s very similar to price. Price had that package, but not to the extent Steph has it.”

And he obviously isn’t trying to downplay Steph at all. There just weren’t many people who come to mind before him that even gives you a place to start making comparisons. And its natural when you see something amazing to try to describe what it’s like. He obviously doesn’t play like anyone would have been allowed to play 35 years ago.

The reference a lot of people who remember college Chris Jackson have makes them make this comparison with the upmost respect. Like this saying, I haven’t seen anything like this since then. It doesn’t mean they literally think they’re the same.

The numbers from having to play in a league that absolutely did not want somebody doing what he was doing just skews the numbers so much that when you say it people take it the wrong way.

Guys really do say it with respect it just doesn’t feel that way to people who don’t understand how much Rauf was respected by the people saying it. And even they aren’t saying they’re the same. It’s a “Reminded of” thing.

And really what might make it even tougher to understand is that people making the comparison aren’t necessarily even talking about the NBA. College ball is so much less popular and less culturally significant these days young fans don’t understand the iconic status guys like him had from college.

If you weren’t there, it’s hard to explain why so many older fans feel like head to head hakeem just got even with Ewing in the 94 finals because Ewing beat him for the title in college. For fans who were in that time where college was more of your basketball legacy than the nba in a lot of cases this guy:

Is a legendary figure.

Nobody who reps that guy compares anyone to him with hate in mind.

College legends held their status longer than nba stars back then though that was near the end of it. Now nobody gives a shit what you did in college. You’re either an NBA legend, or a nobody. That guy was a God to a lot of basketball fans before that changed

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Lebron is a less aggressive Cory Maggette

Jahil Okafor is a less ball dominant Magic Johnson

Steph Curry is a Chris Jackson
    I know where the Cory Maggette reference comes from - 3ball.

Where do these other bangers come from?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

I think we got to give a shout out to Mark Price. Aka mark "the price is ****ing right!".

You have to be a tough and smart white boy to dominate in this physical entertainment league.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    I know where the Cory Maggette reference comes from - 3ball.

Where do these other bangers come from?
    the corey maggette one is mine actually

@kblaze, I get it. you’re good.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    the corey maggette one is mine actually

@kblaze, I get it. you’re good.

I didn’t take it as if you were talking specifically to me. It’s been a pretty common discussion because of comments like Kerr, Phil, and I think both Dale and Laphonso ellis. It got to Steph and he responded:

I actually went and watched YouTube highlights of (Abdul-Rauf) at LSU. I really never watched his game before. It helped my basketball knowledge a little bit. There are some similarities for sure. I watched one game – he had 40-something on the road. He had that thrust in transition, pulling up from 3, getting in the paint. I didn't know much about his game.

Which is fundamentally what people have been saying.

in any era comparison going either way, there’s always gonna be that element that takes it too far. But generally I’d say people mean the comparison as praise. Like “I haven’t seen a little guard this nasty since…” and because of it the negative reactions are met defensively. Just a general misunderstanding outside the trolls being trolls.

I assume when people use the Chris Jackson analogy with Steph, they're referring to stuff like this:

I remember watching this as it happened. I mean, it's kind of obvious? The same way people say if you want to see a beta version of MJ, watch some David Thompson. It's not meant to say they're equals as players, or even close to it. Steph basically took some of the above, a bit of Mark Price, Nash, Reggie, throw in a blender and turn the dial up. Not difficult to figure a mix of the best aspects of those players gives you what Steph does.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 08-25-2023 at 11:49 AM.

Westbrook is the worst player in the NBA

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Andrew tony 6'er guard

Jimmy Butler

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Andrew tony 6'er guard

Jimmy Butler
    What about them?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Derrick Rose is a shiftier Stephon Marbury with way better intangibles but worse playmaking.
    This is... actually accurate.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    Don't have much in common. Marbury could shoot. He had the whole package other than the intangibles

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Don't have much in common. Marbury could shoot. He had the whole package other than the intangibles
    I think it is. Similar size with enough of the same athletic attributes. Where they differ is intangibles, playmaking, and in certain physical qualities, like lateral movement, change of direction speed, change of pace, etc. Marbury was much more of a line-drive type of athlete while Derrick could go sideline to sideline better and contort his body.

I'd describe those physical differences as shifty.