Default What could've resulted from Rookie Magic signing with Rookie Nike

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/h...as-nba-rookie/

Adidas offered more money, but Nike offered money & stock.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: What could've resulted from Rookie Magic signing with Rookie Nike

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/h...as-nba-rookie/

Adidas offered more money, but Nike offered money & stock.
    All Nike's I had before Air Jordan I sucked. Adidas and Converse made a better shoe at the time. Might have ended up with a broken foot like MJ did?

NBA rookie of the year

It really isn't that relevant, if Nike had Magic, then Jordan probably signs with Adidas or Converse, part of the appeal of signing with Nike and part of the reason they went so hard after him was because they wanted to build a product line entirely around him. If they had Magic, they probably don't do that.

The Air Jordan I and II to be honest aren't that great of shoes anyway, there's a reason Jordan was thinking of leaving Nike after the Air Jordan II. As much as people mythologize the Air Jordan I, I really think the Air Jordan III is the first "real" Air Jordan (first one with the Jumpman logo, first one with an actually decent design). That is where Nike's fortunes really started to shift and their marketing also started to become more unique.

Gimme the Air Jordan III over the I any day.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Magic would be seen as the GOAT by more fans.

NBA rookie of the year

Nike would just be ... Converse today if they had Magic.

You can't equate two totally separate things ... Nike is only Nike (in basketball terms) because of Jordan.

If there's no Jordan, they're likely just another shoe brand ... like Converse.

It's not like Magic didn't get his own shoe, he did have it on multiple occasions, the general public just didn't take to it.

The highlight reel athleticism of Jordan is what makes "Air" Jordan work. "Air" Magic doesn't even make sense, dude can't get up off the floor.

Jordan is just "cool". The way he played the game was "cool". The way he had baggier shorts and the shaved head was cool. Magic/Bird just didn't have that appeal in that way. That made wearing Air Jordans desirable.