Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Supposedly his “camp” says it was a toy gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    iÂ’m just surprised how many people especially conservatives and libertarians seem in favor of a stiff penalty. They will obviously be open to a legal challenge. Getting fired for gun possession as a member of a union when other members of your union have also been shown to possess guns and have it recorded and on the Internet? What would the legal argument be for it being such a different situation? Listening to rap music during the video? Exactly how he was holding the gun? I promise you the day this came out Lawyers on both sides were squirming because this is an incredibly obvious lawsuit that you could easily win with the right judge or jury. It would be a federal issue, but letÂ’s just think for a moment about a jury of peers pulled out of Memphis. it would be a combination of black Ja Morant fans(Memphis 64% black) and southern white conservatives who are probably very pro gun.

do you think the NBA wants to deal with that? Or that the NBA wants to deal with a hand-picked District Court or even worse to go to the Supreme Court on the anti-gun side of an argument with those justices? Hell you might get one or two of the liberal branch who thinks they overstepped their authority.

it doesnÂ’t matter what anybody thinks the NBA should be able to do. They have a collectively bargained discipline process, and the union has a lot of ways to fight what it would no doubt see as a massive overreach. It will be an absolute PR nightmare to give him a sentence he did not agree with in advance.

this is why players tend to come out, understanding after suspensions. They agreed to them in advance. Go read what Stephen Jackson had to say about his seven games after shooting up the outside of a club. He couldnÂ’t have been more understanding and respectful of the process.

ItÂ’s all a show for the public. Nobody is that upset. They figure out what they can all live with and then the public goes crazy on both sides. Just wait. Even if he suspended 50 games youÂ’re going to see more people talking about he shouldÂ’ve been banned or it shouldÂ’ve been a year just like we already have on here. Those people just feel completely clueless about the world. Push too hard this moves from sports news THE news and it stays there. The NBA does not want that.
    I doubt those people want a penalty for the gun, but rather a penalty for the conduct.

Acting like the cultural context is equivalent between chris kaman or karl malone going hunting with a rifle vs ja morant flashing a pistol in the club or ridin dirty around the hood is completely disingenuous. The perception AND statistical reality of violence corresponding to each culture is completely different.

You can support the right to something without personally approving of every single way someone could use it. I could support the availability of prescription drugs and still condemn the abuse of them. I think a lot of people see Morant as reflecting everything a responsible gun owner is not.

And I dont mean me personally. I really dont care.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Acting like the cultural context wouldn’t lose a legal argument that hinges on collectively, bargained discipline, and the precedent of absolutely no punishment seems a lot more disingenuous to me. You seem to try to be a realist. Think it through for a moment. That argument loses everywhere but the court of feelings.

Please try in 2023 to explain that the difference between two people in the same union, holding guns on video outside work is one of them listening to rap music at the time, and acting like what you consider ghetto. Pull that one in a grievance arbitration or federal court. You better hope the state finds some kind of wrongdoing or not only would he win you would probably get clowned. There is absolutely no way the NBA want this in any court. “That’s different tho” doesn’t mean shit in a court of law. Explain how it’s legally different or get your league embarrassed.

The NBA isn’t this stupid. They talk to the union and work these things out because it is a losing battle outside the realm of feelings.

High School Starter lxlHoTsAuSelxl's Avatar

Those toy bb/pellet guns look like the real ones back in the days. There heavy and you can ****-it-back, pull the trigger and it sounds like a gun(without the bullet). Even pushing in the ammo cartridge, the click sounds it makes. What gives it away is if you look at the front of the gun, the barrel, it would be tiny.
    Last edited by lxlHoTsAuSelxl; 06-07-2023 at 05:59 PM.

Acting like the cultural context wouldn’t lose a legal argument that hinges on collectively, bargained discipline, and the precedent of absolutely no punishment seems a lot more disingenuous to me. You seem to try to be a realist. Think it through for a moment. That argument loses everywhere but the court of feelings.

Please try in 2023 to explain that the difference between two people in the same union, holding guns on video outside work is one of them listening to rap music at the time, and acting like what you consider ghetto. Pull that one in a grievance arbitration or federal court. You better hope the state finds some kind of wrongdoing or not only would he win you would probably get clowned. There is absolutely no way the NBA want this in any court. “That’s different tho” doesn’t mean shit in a court of law. Explain how it’s legally different or get your league embarrassed.

The NBA isn’t this stupid. They talk to the union and work these things out because it is a losing battle outside the realm of feelings.
    Rifles are used for hunting. They are a hobby.

What use is waving a handgun around in a club or in a car? There is no intelligent, believable answer except “trying to look gangsta.”

Most of the NBA’s viewer base contextualizes these differently because they are different. A nobody like Chris Kaman posing with his gear before a hunting trip is nowhere near the level of reckless disregard for public image as a superstar like Ja Morant REPEATEDLY flashing pistols in public just after he made headlines for putting red beams on security personnel.

Theyre completely different with regard to public image, and public image is the NBA’s bottom line. If the NBA doesnt want to risk getting Darius Miles’d or Aaron Hernandez’d, they are more than justified RATIONALLY in cutting ties with the guy at this point.

But they know rational has nothing to do with anything jurors or arbitrators may do.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

The players union lawyers hearing that’s your plan going into federal court:

Chops licked. Thoroughly.

The nbas lawyers are a lot smarter than to let it get there.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

So... it was just a prank bro?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

The players union lawyers hearing that’s your plan going into federal court:

Chops licked. Thoroughly.

The nbas lawyers are a lot smarter than to let it get there.
    That's only because the illogical "it's racist doe!" argument works very well in today's society even when it defies conventional logic. Everybody knows the difference between a guy on a hunting trip or at the range is different than flashing guns in the club parking lot.