Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Supposedly his “camp” says it was a toy gun.

I'm sure if Jokic would have flashed a gun in Morris's direction while on the court, he would have had an equal suspension to whatever Morant is about to get.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

First of all, he's not getting kicked out of the league..

Thats my point.

They wouldn’t be dumb enough to bring on that lawsuit and attention. Whatever he gets will be acceptable by both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Thats my point.

They wouldn’t be dumb enough to bring on that lawsuit and attention. Whatever he gets will be acceptable by both sides.

Why would they fear a lawsuit? (Im not saying they WILL ban him, just that they have nothing to fear if they do)

College basketball star and wannabe thug Darius Miles just caught a homicide charge a couple months ago.

Aaron Hernandez was posting tough-guy gun selfies and ended up committing murder.

The NBA isnt obligated to risk that kind of PR nightmare.

Morant is already on his third strike in a calendar year. He was told to tone down the violent image after his crew pointed a laser scope at arena security. He IMMEDIATELY posted a pic of himself brandishing a handgun at a nightclub. Got a short suspension and IMMEDIATELY did the same thing again

I personally dont care what he does on his own time, but the league would clearly be justified in booting him. Employers have sacked people for insensitive tweets. They can definitely throw Ja out for REPEATEDLY disregarding the NBA's requests to be image conscious.

Even if the NBA overreact and banned him permanently, what's he gonna sue for? The most NBA has to pay is his remaining contract.

Remember Donald Sterling was banned from the NBA.

I personally dont care what he does on his own time, but the league would clearly be justified in booting him. Employers have sacked people for insensitive tweets. They can definitely throw Ja out for REPEATEDLY disregarding the NBA's requests to be image conscious.

It’s already been reported the league had to negotiate the punishment with the union. Why do you think that is?

Just tell me that. Why you think the nba has to sit down and work out something with the union to do this.

Good High School Starter

It’s already been reported the league had to negotiate the punishment with the union. Why do you think that is?

Just tell me that. Why you think the nba has to sit down and work out something with the union to do this.

Because Adam Silver is a *****?

As an act of good faith and relations with the union.

Not in fear of losing a lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    Because Adam Silver is a *****?

Stern gave a 7 game suspension for shooting during a fight outside a strip club for a player who was already on probation and had previously been suspended for fighting fans.

The Silver suspensions have actually been tougher than Sterns outside the 80s drug policy ones.

Actually, I take that back.

Maybe they are afraid to LOSE a lawsuit.

There would be absolutely no legitimate grounds on which to lose it, but counting on a jury full of average joe’s to reach a logical decision is a mammoth risk.

So perhaps the NBA does have to tread carefully. Even if, in a sane world, they oughtn’t need to.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    As an act of good faith and relations with the union.

Not in fear of losing a lawsuit.
    And what does a union do when you don’t take that step and get their approval?

I’ll help you out. Google the term “grievance arbitrator” and read about Jermaine O’Neal suing the nba and getting Sterns 25 game suspension for the malice in the palace overturned in federal court.

Despite fans opinion otherwise the nba can’t just do what it wants punishment wise. They can and do lose in court. And that was for punching a fan on camera AT a game.

You think the nba wants to deal with a court the union would hand pick to get the judge they want? About a punishment for entirely legal conduct away from the league on a players own time when the same conduct(legally speaking ) has gone unpunished many times? It’s a lawyers dream.

The nba has a thousand lawyers. I promise you they weighed in. This isn’t Adam silver being tough or not. It’s league lawyers negotiating with union lawyers for something they can all live with.

And what does a union do when you don’t take that step and get their approval?

I’ll help you out. Google the term “grievance arbitrator” and read about Jermaine O’Neal suing the nba and getting Sterns 25 game suspension for the malice in the palace overturned in federal court.

Despite fans opinion otherwise the nba can’t just do what it wants punishment wise. They can and do lose in court. And that was for punching a fan on camera AT a game.

You think the nba wants to deal with a court the union would hand pick to get the judge they want? About a punishment for entirely legal conduct away from the league on a players own time when the same conduct(legally speaking ) has gone unpunished many times? It’s a lawyers dream.

The nba has a thousand lawyers. I promise you they weighed in. This isn’t Adam silver being tough or not. It’s league lawyers negotiating with union lawyers for something they can all live with.

Im sure the NBA doesnt want to can him permanently anyway, I never expected they would Im just responding to something that got suggested. The league would obviously rather have star players playing in the long run. Just that legally they SHOULD have every right to cut ties if they wish. But youre right, arbitration and/or juries are no guarantee of a logical result. So it makes sense to meet with the union and figure out their position, if you can find an agreement with them it gives the player less weight in a potential lawsuit thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Lebron23 size

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Don't believe this was a toy for one second.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Im sure the NBA doesnt want to can him permanently anyway, I never expected they would Im just responding to something that got suggested. The league would obviously rather have star players playing in the long run. Just that legally they SHOULD have every right to cut ties if they wish. But youre right, arbitration and/or juries are no guarantee of a logical result. So it makes sense to meet with the union and figure out their position, if you can find an agreement with them it gives the player less weight in a potential lawsuit thereafter.
    that’s exactly the reason. I can’t believe sometimes how emotional people get with these things and just leave their common sense at the door. All this ridiculous tough talk like a lawsuit isn’t guaranteed if they go too far. They know it the union knows it Ja knows it. Punishments like this need to be agreed to for everyone’s best interest.

i’m just surprised how many people especially conservatives and libertarians seem in favor of a stiff penalty. They will obviously be open to a legal challenge. Getting fired for gun possession as a member of a union when other members of your union have also been shown to possess guns and have it recorded and on the Internet? What would the legal argument be for it being such a different situation? Listening to rap music during the video? Exactly how he was holding the gun? I promise you the day this came out Lawyers on both sides were squirming because this is an incredibly obvious lawsuit that you could easily win with the right judge or jury. It would be a federal issue, but let’s just think for a moment about a jury of peers pulled out of Memphis. it would be a combination of black Ja Morant fans(Memphis 64% black) and southern white conservatives who are probably very pro gun.

do you think the NBA wants to deal with that? Or that the NBA wants to deal with a hand-picked District Court or even worse to go to the Supreme Court on the anti-gun side of an argument with those justices? Hell you might get one or two of the liberal branch who thinks they overstepped their authority.

it doesn’t matter what anybody thinks the NBA should be able to do. They have a collectively bargained discipline process, and the union has a lot of ways to fight what it would no doubt see as a massive overreach. It will be an absolute PR nightmare to give him a sentence he did not agree with in advance.

this is why players tend to come out, understanding after suspensions. They agreed to them in advance. Go read what Stephen Jackson had to say about his seven games after shooting up the outside of a club. He couldn’t have been more understanding and respectful of the process.

It’s all a show for the public. Nobody is that upset. They figure out what they can all live with and then the public goes crazy on both sides. Just wait. Even if he suspended 50 games you’re going to see more people talking about he should’ve been banned or it should’ve been a year just like we already have on here. Those people just feel completely clueless about the world. Push too hard this moves from sports news THE news and it stays there. The NBA does not want that.

I wonder if they’re stupid enough to think anyone believes them ?

Any sensible person would know nobody believes that excuse.