Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Mavs want Jeff Vangundy as an assistant.

The Mavericks plan to pursue ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy for an assistant coaching position on Jason Kidd’s staff, according to a report from Marc Stein.
    “I’m also told that [the Mavericks] plan to gauge Jeff Van Gundy’s interest in a potential return to the bench as an aide to Kidd after 15-plus years in broadcasting,” Stein wrote.

Hes making like a million to barely do nba games now. Why go be an assistant? Unless he’s just desperate to coach again of course. But I’m sure he could get a college job tomorrow if he wanted it.

Default Re: Mavs want Jeff Vangundy as an assistant.

Random af.

Dont see any reason Van Gundy would give up lead broadcasting duties for am assistant’s job.

And coaching/assistant coaching is not the Mavs’ problem. They need more talent on the roster.

Thing with Luka is, you have a higher ceiling and a lower floor. Like, if you give every guy their optimal team, Luka can make a team better than Tatum or Embiid, Giannis etc. But because of his limitation you also have a narrower pool of players who fit around him than those guys etc.

If you get all the right guys Doncic has the savvy, playmaking and clutch gene to make a team unstoppable. But his super slow, ball dominant pace shrinks the pool of guys who fit with him.

I dont see how adding JVG as a coach addresses that.

Offer it to Mark Jackson instead & keep JVG in the booth.

Dallas really seems like they are in disarray.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    If you get all the right guys Doncic has the savvy, playmaking and clutch gene to make a team unstoppable. But his super slow, ball dominant pace shrinks the pool of guys who fit with him.

It doesn't. Luka will need a roster full of 3 and D guys and a big or two.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Dallas really seems like they are in disarray.
    Cuban seems like a guy who hasn't updated himself in like 10 years. Kidd, Van Gundy etc.

Luka can win 3+ titles if he gets a team of 3&D guys, and a Brook Lopez stretch rim protector. But the odds of getting all that and Denver losing enough of their rotation players to let the Luka squad past …. And Luka staying healthy in his later 20’s at his current weight … I think he won’t win chips until Jokic gets 2-3 of his own.

All that said, I absolutely love Jeff Van Gundy, and adding him to any endeavor automatically improves the chances of whatever the goal of that endeavor is.

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool View Post
    Luka can win 3+ titles if he gets a team of 3&D guys, and a Brook Lopez stretch rim protector. But the odds of getting all that and Denver losing enough of their rotation players to let the Luka squad past …. And Luka staying healthy in his later 20’s at his current weight … I think he won’t win chips until Jokic gets 2-3 of his own.

All that said, I absolutely love Jeff Van Gundy, and adding him to any endeavor automatically improves the chances of whatever the goal of that endeavor is.
    JVG isn't coming, especially not as an assistant coach. Mavs are getting desperately thinking they can add stars to their roster & coaching bench to brighten their future, but it doesn't work that way.

Was this thread bumped from the 90s?

Banned

haven't people realized, after listening to JVG in commentary, that this fool doesn't know anything about anything?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Jeff is a guru of bball... but he will never take a coaching job... and specially not as an assistant

lmfao

If he would of been had , BUCKS would of gotten him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nineiron View Post
    haven't people realized, after listening to JVG in commentary, that this fool doesn't know anything about anything?
    your an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Random af.

Dont see any reason Van Gundy would give up lead broadcasting duties for am assistant’s job.

And coaching/assistant coaching is not the Mavs’ problem. They need more talent on the roster.

Thing with Luka is, you have a higher ceiling and a lower floor. Like, if you give every guy their optimal team, Luka can make a team better than Tatum or Embiid, Giannis etc. But because of his limitation you also have a narrower pool of players who fit around him than those guys etc.

Wrong. Lukas game is not conducive of winning unless you have 2 other top 5 PER players next to you