Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Re: Phil Jackson saying that Michael Jordan led the league in scoring because he want

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Jordan said scoring 8 per quarter was easy as pie for him.

What's wrong with wanting to win a scoring title anyway? If you have the ability to do it and can do it within the context of winning championships which Jordan clearly could, then show the world your talent.

If you have the talent to do something but don't want to push yourself to do it or have some crap false modesty thing going on, you're a f***ing loser. I watch pro sports to see the best athletes push themselves to be the best player they can be.

If you can score a 100 points in a game, do it. If you can score 30 ppg year after year while winning titles, do it. If you can run a 100 meters in 9.4 seconds, do it. Lets see it. No one wants to hear "woulda/coulda" or "I could but I really don't want to push it too much". If I want that I can just go watch amateur level sports or high school basketball or some shit. The appeal and entertainment factor of pro sports is seeing the best showcase the full extent of their abilities.
    Basketball being a team sport, the 'while winning championships' part comes first. Stephon Marbury showcased his talent. I mostly agree with your point but the question is how long are you able to win playing a certain way, especially with the same franchise. Durant's iso way of playing the game does showcase his talent but he didn't do much as the best man on a team. Shaq and Kobe could've won more if not for their ego, and the Lakers could've won against the Pistons if not for Kobe's ego. Both showcased their talents but a bit less of that may have resulted in 7 rings if not more.

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Phil Jackson saying that Michael Jordan led the league in scoring because he want

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls View Post
    Again, keep in mind that I have no problem with MJ scoring the way he did. My issue is with Jordans acolytes saying he scored so much because his team sucked. That's a lie.
    Not this shit again.

What is hard to understand that Jordan can push for scoring titles while also having good teammates around him?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Jordan said scoring 8 per quarter was easy as pie for him.

What's wrong with wanting to win a scoring title anyway? If you have the ability to do it and can do it within the context of winning championships which Jordan clearly could, then show the world your talent.

If you have the talent to do something but don't want to push yourself to do it or have some crap false modesty thing going on, you're a f***ing loser. I watch pro sports to see the best athletes push themselves to be the best player they can be.

If you can score a 100 points in a game, do it. If you can score 30 ppg year after year while winning titles, do it. If you can run a 100 meters in 9.4 seconds, do it. Lets see it. No one wants to hear "woulda/coulda" or "I could but I really don't want to push it too much". If I want that I can just go watch amateur level sports or high school basketball or some shit. The appeal and entertainment factor of pro sports is seeing the best showcase the full extent of their abilities.
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to be the best scorer. But when people say Jordan scored all those points because he had to? Not true. He did it because he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by FilmyCogTurner View Post
    Not this shit again.

What is hard to understand that Jordan can push for scoring titles while also having good teammates around him?
    You obviously can't read. I have no issue with Jordan scoring. I have an issue with people that degrade his teammates by saying he led the league in scoring because his teammates couldn't score. THATS. NOT. TRUE.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls View Post
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to be the best scorer. But when people say Jordan scored all those points because he had to? Not true. He did it because he wanted to.
    You're wrong. He had to score those points because the competition was coming for them at full force. If he hadn't scored like he did the Bulls would have lost and that is not to say his teammates sucked. It means the competition was that good.

Not this shit again.

I can't read? Look at the bolded words in my first post.

I can't read? Look at the bolded words in my first post.
    I'm not talking about Jordan or his teammates, I'm talking about Jordans fans.

You're wrong. He had to score those points because the competition was coming for them at full force. If he hadn't scored like he did the Bulls would have lost and that is not to say his teammates sucked. It means the competition was that good.
    Lol. Bro. He said he wanted to lead the league in scoring. Lol. Even when his coaches tried to reign him in and asked him to stop shooting so much, he told them what his intentions were. He was gonna set a pace to score 8 points a quarter. By definition, that's not organic. And we know it to be true, because Jackson said it. And not only that, but when Jordan abruptly retired, and they replaced him with a journeyman, the Bulls were still successful. Just think if they had a guy capable of 20ppg and a solid defender instead of Pete Myers. Never mind, I know what you're thinking. You're Jordanite cult won't allow you to see anything other than Jordan

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

I think in the 80s they needed it. They were horrible.

But by time 92, they didn't need MJ scoring to be a championship-contending team. They may not have won, but they didn't need it to be a good team. As 97 Bulls said, they could've got a Mitch Richmond or a Glen Rice.

They wouldn't be as good offensively and defensively though. MJ had a massive impact on the offensive end. And MJ was really clutch and probably the most clutch superstar ever, so they may not have won those close games if it wasn't for him. They wouldn't have won in 98 for sure. The early 90s would've been tough too. You could argue they wouldn't have won any, maybe except for 96 or 97, but MJ was more than just a scorer. He was the best defender in his position, underrated passer, and low TOs are key. And of course, all the other intangibles as while as leadership, so it's hard to say if they could've won any championships.

I think it's proven that they didn't need MJ scoring to be a good team after a while. They would have a shot at the championship. You gotta give credit to all of the teammates of the Bulls and Phil Jackson. Phil Jackson did a hell of a job. But they needed MJ to be an all-time great team.
    Last edited by Micku; 06-06-2023 at 08:22 PM.

I really don't like being mean on the internet because its so easy to do so - but you don't understand the game. Michku in the blame Pippen thread is spoon feeding you the information and you're still unable to understand, what chance do I have here?

Let me ask you two questions...

What do you think MJ valued more, leading the league in scoring or winning the game?

And how is the outcome of the game decided?

Sorry for being rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    I think in the 80s they needed it. They were horrible.

But by time 92, they didn't need MJ scoring to be a championship-contending team. They may not have won, but they didn't need it to be a good team. As 97 Bulls said, they could've got a Mitch Richmond or a Glen Rice.

They wouldn't be as good offensively and defensively though. MJ had a massive impact on the offensive end. And MJ was really clutch and probably the most clutch superstar ever, so they may not have won those close games if it wasn't for him. They wouldn't have won in 98 for sure. The early 90s would've been tough too. You could argue they wouldn't have won any, maybe except for 96 or 97, but MJ was more than just a scorer. He was the best defender in his position, underrated passer, and low TOs are key. And of course, all the other intangibles as while as leadership, so it's hard to say if they could've won any championships.

I think it's proven that they didn't need MJ scoring to be a good team after a while. They would have a shot at the championship. You gotta give credit to all of the teammates of the Bulls and Phil Jackson. Phil Jackson did a hell of a job. But they needed MJ to be an all-time great team.
    Right. All things playing out the same way, and MJ retires and doesn't return, and they pick up Kenadall Gill to replace him (I say Kendall Gill because I believe he was a free agent at the time). I think they eek out 1 Championship. But no 72 and 69 wins. And definitely no 3 straight titles.

I really don't like being mean on the internet because its so easy to do so - but you don't understand the game. Michku in the blame Pippen thread is spoon feeding you the information and you're still unable to understand, what chance do I have here?

Let me ask you two questions...

What do you think MJ valued more, leading the league in scoring or winning the game?

And how is the outcome of the game decided?

Sorry for being rude.
    If this is directed at me, it honestly seems that both were equally important to MJ. I mean, they told him the team needed to be less one dimensional, and that they needed to get the team more involved in the offense and his reply is worrying about being able to lead the league in scoring.

I think the Bulls biggest strength was that they had players that could impact the game by doing things besides scoring. So it facilitated Jordan to be able to score the way he did.

To answer the second question, whoever has the most points by the end of the game, wins.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Maybe in games that didn't matter but we saw in the 1993 Finals Pippen shit the bed and the Bulls needed every inch of Jordan's scoring to barely win.

And then in the 2nd 3peat they needed it all as well with no star scoring beside him. This argument can be made for '91 and '92 and that's about it. But he still dominated those years en route to relatively easy championships so who cares if he kicked his coring into another gear to show off.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

It wasn't that hard for him to do. He could score in his sleep even in the Triangle offense and even while leading his teams to championships. Something most great players could not do. It wasn't so great an effort that he jeopardized the team offensively or compromised them defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist View Post
    It wasn't that hard for him to do. He could score in his sleep even in the Triangle offense and even while leading his teams to championships. Something most great players could not do. It wasn't so great an effort that he jeopardized the team offensively or compromised them defensively.
    Jordan definitely didn't hurt the team. I just posted that Phil Jackson interview to show that he did it not because the team was bad offensively, but because he wanted to.