Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Phil Jackson saying that Michael Jordan led the league in scoring because he want

Did he resort to unspeakable things like *gasp* statpadding?

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Default Re: Phil Jackson saying that Michael Jordan led the league in scoring because he want

Right, I'm sure the game's greatest offensive weapon really had to go out his way to lead the league in scoring

Whether he wanted to or not, MJ would've always led the league in scoring off off sheer ability alone. And it's not like the championship teams he played on were bursting with offensive talent. It was always Pippen + role players.
    Last edited by Indian guy; 06-05-2023 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Exactly.

Lebron himself has pointed out he could score 50 if he wanted to, he just chooses not to.

MJ made an effort to score as much as possible and only managed 35.

50>35.

Case closed.
    Before reading your comment, I was going to mention that I once saw a Michael Jordan interview from the 90s where he said that he could easily average 40 points per game, but that it would take away from the team. It would lead to more losses.

Jaylen Brown can average 50 if he takes enough shots.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern View Post
    Before reading your comment, I was going to mention that I once saw a Michael Jordan interview from the 90s where he said that he could easily average 40 points per game, but that it would take away from the team. It would lead to more losses.
    Shaq said that too.

Shaq also had that mindset of scoring about 7-8 pts a quarter. And Shaq knows that he could get off anytime in his prime, but he wanted to get his teammates involved. He combined the scoring with the passing.

Both MJ and Shaq both said that they have to pace themselves in the scoring. You can see MJ getting better with that as the years went on. But with MJ, he took over in the 4th. Phil made a joke about that too.

Not sure if MJ or Phil told Shaq about the 7-8 pts a quarter or Shaq learned it himself. MJ probably told Kobe. MJ definitely told Carmelo that. KD knows that. LeBron probably does too.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls View Post
    Again, keep in mind that I have no problem with MJ scoring the way he did. My issue is with Jordans acolytes saying he scored so much because his team sucked. That's a lie.
    I don't think it disproves anything. Just because MJ wanted to score, it doesn't mean the team didn't need it.

MJ had a crazy impact on the game as shown by the numbers. They were great in the offense like top 3 in their championships, and MJ was the main reason. And this led to wins. Is there a way to prove that they would get as many wins without MJ scoring in those years? Would they win as many games in the RS as they did? With the point differential? Would they be number 1 in the offense?

It just showed that Phil wanted to play within the system, MJ said that he could still lead the league in scoring by pacing himself. Phil was like, you could but he didn't have to do all that. Just score in the 4th. lol. But this has already been recorded before. What this indicates is more like MJ learned to pace himself better, which was already was out there.

What disprove that the Bulls didn't suck was the 94 Bulls. But MJ and his crazy scoring would've lead them over the top. It gave them open shots and is either the goat or one of the goats scorers of all time. There are other plus/minus stats that indicate that the Bulls didn't rely on MJ as much. The bulls used to suck and needed MJ. Then as the players getting better and with the implication of the triangle, the Bulls didn't suck.

Getting more players involved within the offense would be better overall as a team. And the triangle helps with that.
    Last edited by Micku; 06-05-2023 at 10:22 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Exactly.

Lebron himself has pointed out he could score 50 if he wanted to, he just chooses not to.

MJ made an effort to score as much as possible and only managed 35.

50>35.

Case closed.
    But he can't win without switching teams and stacking the deck. Guys in his own era has as many titles in less years that won league and finals mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    I don't think it disproves anything. Just because MJ wanted to score, it doesn't mean the team didn't need it.

MJ had a crazy impact on the game as shown by the numbers. They were great in the offense like top 3 in their championships, and MJ was the main reason. And this led to wins. Is there a way to prove that they would get as many wins without MJ scoring in those years? Would they win as many games in the RS as they did? With the point differential? Would they be number 1 in the offense?

It just showed that Phil wanted to play within the system, MJ said that he could still lead the league in scoring by pacing himself. Phil was like, you could but he didn't have to do all that. Just score in the 4th. lol. But this has already been recorded before. What this indicates is more like MJ learned to pace himself better, which was already was out there.

What disprove that the Bulls didn't suck was the 94 Bulls. But MJ and his crazy scoring would've lead them over the top. It gave them open shots and is either the goat or one of the goats scorers of all time. There are other plus/minus stats that indicate that the Bulls didn't rely on MJ as much. The bulls used to suck and needed MJ. Then as the players getting better and with the implication of the triangle, the Bulls didn't suck.

Getting more players involved within the offense would be better overall as a team. And the triangle helps with that.
    I agree. I posted the link to what Jackson said for the ones that say the Bulls sucked outside of MJ and that he scored so many points only because he had to.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    Back in the day, I really hated Jordan. I told myself and others it's because he was a ballhog who never passed the ball. A few years later, As a Laker fan I was rooting for Kobe. And.. he was a ballhog who never passed the ball. Of course 'never' is a hyperbole but still. I also adored Magic and Bird, who passed the ball. I don't like LeBron... but he passes the ball. I loved Hakeem because he played great defense and had great moves but wasn't much of a passer. Now I like Jokic who passes the ball has all the moves and passing... but he isn't exactly known for his defense. I tell myself I don't like LeBron because he bulldozes his way to the basket. But I liked Shaq... and he did the same thing. And so on and so forth.
    The most honest thing I've ever read in all my years on ISH.

Fanboyism almost always precludes every iota of self-awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls View Post
    I agree. I posted the link to what Jackson said for the ones that say the Bulls sucked outside of MJ and that he scored so many points only because he had to.
    It was a great interview. Phil rarely do interviews nowadays, so that was cool.

I don't think we give Phil Jackson enough credit. They didn't have the best talent in the early 90s imo, but they operated and executed the best as a team. And Phil Jax helped maximize that potential. He did a good job at pulling back MJ, and MJ did a much better job at pacing himself. And he did a great job at attacking within the offense. As you said, the Bulls were more than just MJ.

Granted, when MJ was playing in the 80s, I feel like he wasn't that bad at attacking. But that was a modern perspective. Transfer him to the late 10s, and surround him with shooters, and that style would be more efficient. But in the early 90s, he was more in control of the flow of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    Back in the day, I really hated Jordan. I told myself and others it's because he was a ballhog who never passed the ball. A few years later, As a Laker fan I was rooting for Kobe. And.. he was a ballhog who never passed the ball. Of course 'never' is a hyperbole but still. I also adored Magic and Bird, who passed the ball. I don't like LeBron... but he passes the ball. I loved Hakeem because he played great defense and had great moves but wasn't much of a passer. Now I like Jokic who passes the ball has all the moves and passing... but he isn't exactly known for his defense. I tell myself I don't like LeBron because he bulldozes his way to the basket. But I liked Shaq... and he did the same thing. And so on and so forth.
    Hahaha, so true.

Kobe and MJ are almost copies of each other in terms of play style. They have almost the same moves. Some differences here and there. Yet the fans were at each other throats in the 00s for a while. lol

Shaq and LeBron do bully their way to the basket. Sometimes they do offensive fouls or just their man just bounces off them.

If you're of the mindset that Jordan, the greatest player of all-time with the greatest collection of offensive moves in NBA History should have shot less and these guys should have shot more;

Pippen
    Grant
    Cartwright
    Armstrong
    Paxson
    Perdue
    McCray
    Tucker
    Scott Williams

You're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    If you're of the mindset that Jordan, the greatest player of all-time with the greatest collection of offensive moves in NBA History should have shot less and these guys should have shot more;

Pippen
    Grant
    Cartwright
    Armstrong
    Paxson
    Perdue
    McCray
    Tucker
    Scott Williams

You're an idiot.
    Casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    He said so himself that it was the only stat he cared about because it was motivational. He could use it. That 8 points a quarter would be enough. It only became an issue 30 years later when we wanted to pretend nobody would do such a thing.
    Thank you

NBA rookie of the year

Jordan said scoring 8 per quarter was easy as pie for him.

What's wrong with wanting to win a scoring title anyway? If you have the ability to do it and can do it within the context of winning championships which Jordan clearly could, then show the world your talent.

If you have the talent to do something but don't want to push yourself to do it or have some crap false modesty thing going on, you're a f***ing loser. I watch pro sports to see the best athletes push themselves to be the best player they can be.

If you can score a 100 points in a game, do it. If you can score 30 ppg year after year while winning titles, do it. If you can run a 100 meters in 9.4 seconds, do it. Lets see it. No one wants to hear "woulda/coulda" or "I could but I really don't want to push it too much". If I want that I can just go watch amateur level sports or high school basketball or some shit. The appeal and entertainment factor of pro sports is seeing the best showcase the full extent of their abilities.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 06-06-2023 at 02:29 PM.