Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Phil Jackson saying that Michael Jordan led the league in scoring because he wanted t

Phil Jackson did an interview on the Stacey Kings show. In it, he plainly states that Jordan wanted to lead the league in scoring. Again, not because he had to, but because he wanted to. This isn't a knock on Jordan, but it should put an end to the argument that the Jordan scored the way he did because he had to. Granted sometimes he did have to. But night in and out? He did it because he wanted to lead the league in scoring.

https://youtu.be/Ozddwf0k8-Y

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Phil Jackson saying that Michael Jordan led the league in scoring because he want

I don't see the issue.

82 games is a lot during the regular season. I bet winning those scoring titles was just another way to stay motivated.

Default Re: Phil Jackson saying that Michael Jordan led the league in scoring because he want

8 points per quarter used to be his target. At least according to eleven rings.

The numbers are arbitrary; Shaq could've won championships scoring 25 PPG if he put more effort into defense. Dwight could've scored 4 more points per game but it doesn't mean his team would. Those Bulls teams could've won playing a lot of ways.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

He said so himself that it was the only stat he cared about because it was motivational. He could use it. That 8 points a quarter would be enough. It only became an issue 30 years later when we wanted to pretend nobody would do such a thing.

Very good NBA starter

The guy scored 37ppg in like his 3rd season, I don't think anyone is surprised that he and Wilt cared about scoring.

Exactly.

Lebron himself has pointed out he could score 50 if he wanted to, he just chooses not to.

MJ made an effort to score as much as possible and only managed 35.

50>35.

Case closed.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

And what does Jordan average of he doesn't have to score, 29? Players should generally do what they're good at within their role. Jordan's role was scoring, prime Jordan would have to be put into a system that intentionally deemphasized him to not average 30. It would be stupid. Like an NFL team that has prime Barry Sanders and decides they would rather throw it with Trent Dilfer.

Michael Jordan is a ballhog. even when he played for the wizards he was averaging 25 attempts per game.

Again, keep in mind that I have no problem with MJ scoring the way he did. My issue is with Jordans acolytes saying he scored so much because his team sucked. That's a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    And what does Jordan average of he doesn't have to score, 29? Players should generally do what they're good at within their role. Jordan's role was scoring, prime Jordan would have to be put into a system that intentionally deemphasized him to not average 30. It would be stupid. Like an NFL team that has prime Barry Sanders and decides they would rather throw it with Trent Dilfer.

Low IQ post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    Michael Jordan is a ballhog. even when he played for the wizards he was averaging 25 attempts per game.

High IQ post.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls View Post
    Again, keep in mind that I have no problem with MJ scoring the way he did. My issue is with Jordans acolytes saying he scored so much because his team sucked. That's a lie.
    Back in the day, I really hated Jordan. I told myself and others it's because he was a ballhog who never passed the ball. A few years later, As a Laker fan I was rooting for Kobe. And.. he was a ballhog who never passed the ball. Of course 'never' is a hyperbole but still. I also adored Magic and Bird, who passed the ball. I don't like LeBron... but he passes the ball. I loved Hakeem because he played great defense and had great moves but wasn't much of a passer. Now I like Jokic who passes the ball has all the moves and passing... but he isn't exactly known for his defense. I tell myself I don't like LeBron because he bulldozes his way to the basket. But I liked Shaq... and he did the same thing. And so on and so forth.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls View Post
    It's just 3ball saying his teammates sucked most people don't act like that. He scored a lot of points partially because he wanted to but it shouldn't be ignored that his game was great offense. As a Bull he was never on a team where he shouldn't be scoring a lot of points.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    It's just 3ball saying his teammates sucked most people don't act like that. He scored a lot of points partially because he wanted to but it shouldn't be ignored that his game was great offense. As a Bull he was never on a team where he shouldn't be scoring a lot of points.
    ImKobe has the same sentiment like his as well.

Just plain awful.