Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If Miami wins the title, is this the GOAT Cinderella story ever in sport?

...Due to the nature of NBA playoff.

There has been 'beating the odds' stories in sport like Douglas beating Tyson or 1980 US Hockey team. But those are usually one game event.

I guess there were the 2011 Mavs team but I think this eclipse that by a long mile.

Default Re: If Miami wins the title, is this the GOAT Cinderella story ever in sport?

I think a bit far from it. When did the nuggets become heavy favorites during the season?

Default Re: If Miami wins the title, is this the GOAT Cinderella story ever in sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I think a bit far from it. When did the nuggets become heavy favorites during the season?

Heat were +30000 to win the title heading into their 2nd Play-In game against Chicago apparently and +22333 at the start of the POs. They already beat the two teams with the highest odds going into this.

Some degen is going to make a lot of money if they do pull through and win this.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    ...Due to the nature of NBA playoff.

There has been 'beating the odds' stories in sport like Douglas beating Tyson or 1980 US Hockey team. But those are usually one game event.

I guess there were the 2011 Mavs team but I think this eclipse that by a long mile.
    the 80 hockey team wasn't just one game. They weren't even expected to win a medal let alone defeat a team that was thought as unbeatable. Just getting to the medal round was a victory for them. Denver isn't thought of as unbeatable. You forgot the Jets over the Colts

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Heat were +30000 to win the title heading into their 2nd Play-In game against Chicago apparently and +22333 at the start of the POs. They already beat the two teams with the highest odds going into this.

Some degen is going to make a lot of money if they do pull through and win this.
    Lol hoping you realize that wouldn't be the case at all if their rs record didn't suck balls which was basically the root cause why they're a play-in team that also made them 'huge underdogs' versus the top seeds in the league.

National High School Star

For NBA...sure but in all sports...it's 1983 NC State

It really might be.

Lol hoping you realize that wouldn't be the case at all if their rs record didn't suck balls which was basically the root cause why they're a play-in team that also made them 'huge underdogs' versus the top seeds in the league.
    So what?

No HCA in any round
    Lost their starting PG (20 ppg scorer and their best volume 3PT shooter) for the Playoffs in G1 of the 1st round, Oladipo injured and out as well
    Butler injured to start the 2nd round
    Vincent injured in the ECF
    survived the Derrick White game with a road G7 win against the title favorites to make the Finals

I don't understand why you guys are so miserable and have to downplay everything. "Oh the Heat run actually isn't that special", gtfo lol.

So what?

No HCA in any round
    Lost their starting PG (20 ppg scorer and their best volume 3PT shooter) for the Playoffs in G1 of the 1st round, Oladipo injured and out as well
    Butler injured to start the 2nd round
    Vincent injured in the ECF
    survived the Derrick White game with a road G7 win against the title favorites to make the Finals

I don't understand why you guys are so miserable and have to downplay everything. "Oh the Heat run actually isn't that special", gtfo lol.
    Meltdown. And btw, we have seen you saying before that the 2020 eastern champs only had a fluke run at the title bt.

Now go ahead and try moving the goalposts. That's why you and 3ball get along so well.

On paper, due to being the 8 seed sure. But c’mon, this team was just in the Finals 3 years ago, and was the 1 seed just last year and came within literally one shot of making the Finals again. Beating the Knicks or even Celtics wasn’t even that surprising of a result, and we can’t pretend Giannis didn’t miss nearly 3 games in the first round. With any context, it really isn’t.

To me, the biggest Cinderella story will always be the 2007 Giants. For the NBA, I’d still say the 2011 Mavs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    the 80 hockey team wasn't just one game. They weren't even expected to win a medal let alone defeat a team that was thought as unbeatable. Just getting to the medal round was a victory for them. Denver isn't thought of as unbeatable. You forgot the Jets over the Colts
    This

Meltdown. And btw, we have seen you saying before that the 2020 eastern champs only had a fluke run at the title bt.

Now go ahead and try moving the goalposts. That's why you and 3ball get along so well.
    It doesn't matter what it is. We're witnessing something historic here. Try to enjoy the game instead of trolling on a dying message board for once.

It doesn't matter what it is. We're witnessing something historic here. Try to enjoy the game instead of trolling on a dying message board for once.
    Lol witness my ass. What would you think of him once he goes 0-2 in the finals if ever his team lose three more games for the remainder of the series?

Lol witness my ass. What would you think of him once he goes 0-2 in the finals if ever his team lose three more games for the remainder of the series?
    This is the 2nd time in NBA history that the 8th seed has made the Finals, and they did it in a normal 82-game season and beat 2 legitimate title contenders already.

You seriously need to seek some mental help before it's too late for you. Maybe it already is? Idk.

Like what was said above, they were the #1 seed last year that also made it to the ecf and the finals in the 2020 disney bubble. So obviously they're a lot better than their crappy rs record this year would suggest. And i thought rs don't matter that much to you guys anyways.

And they're not even the 8th seed at all if not for the freaking play-in.