Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why I don't blame Pippen for his views on Jordan and the Bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    In order to tell an accurate historical account, The Last Dance needed to tell the story of Pippen being a choker and arguably the biggest choker in NBA history (the most legendary chokes and meltdowns).

The beginner foul choke ("never foul a jumpshooter"):

THE GOAT MELTDOWN:

WORST-EVER CLUTCH

^^^^ Pippen was historically embarrassed without MJ.

Let's not forget that Pippen's "migraine" in 1990 prevented one of the biggest upsets in history and Jordan's 1st title.. Pippen also has many bricks and turnovers with the game on the line like his 2 missed FT's before Miller's legendary winner in 98' ECF or the 99' 1st Round blunder with Houston and many more.

And no... He wasn't tough because x-man BULLIED pippen in the 92' 2nd Round, which nearly caused an upset loss and required MJ to step in during Game 7 to confront X-Man and prevent another "migraine".. Pippen was choking in Game 7 all over again but MJ stopped it - being the enforcer for Pippen was part of MJ's organic learning curve.

#carried
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    They didn't talk about Cliff Levingston help defense either in 91, which was amazing.

They didn't talk about Rodman defense on Shaq.

They didn't talk about Luc Longley.

But they also didn't think about MJ scoring like 15-20 pts in the clutch in 1989 against the Cavs. They talk about the game winner, but not the details of it. Hell, no one really mention how impressive that 89 run was in detail.

They didn't talk about how good of a job MJ did on defending Cylde Drexler.

I don't remember if they talked about the good defense Pippen did on Mark Jackson? I legit forgot.

We talk about how good MJ was, they don't talk about the details in the actual game plan. I think the Knicks straight up tried not to toss the ball or run their actions where ever MJ side was. They talk about how the shot creation overall nor the low turnovers. Dude created like 15 open shots in one game for his teammates while scoring 39 pts 1992 Finals and that was more than the entire 2014 playoffs.

The documentary did show how good of a player MJ was but not in detail. Not in detail at all. Dude doing things that were insane and this was before all of the advanced stats started.
    The Bulls were insane too tho, more than just MJ. They were a great team. The best in their respective era. From the coaching staff to most of the teammates that they have, they were really great. And they weren't the most talented team either.

But the documentary itself wasn't Kobe's "detailed" series for hardcore b-ball fans.

It really could've talked about how good the Bulls were from a basketball standpoint and really show why MJ was the best player. It wasn't that type of documentary and you'll never get that from a mainstream format. It didn't even describe the triangle in detail if I can recall.
    I didn't see this comment. Bro, you're being obtuse. Cliff Levingston? Really? Obviously, there's no way to add every great contribution that evey player had to the Bulls championship runs. But the moments I named are the iconic moments that standout.

They did talk about the matchup between Drexler. And Drexler responded by saying he was hurt in that Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    I gave you a general answer because you thought I hold Jordan to a different standard than Pippen or the rest. I don't.

Did Pippen get backstabbed by:

Jordan? Yes, in a way. He praised him, while highlighting a few shortcomings in order to bolster his own ego. Should a great player like Jordan do that? No, it's a clear sign of insecurity and a lack of empathy for Pippen who's obviously also struggling with selfworth.

The management? No. Pippen signed a deal before the new CBA against any advice and kept complaining about it. If you do this in the private sector you'll get laid off. That was his own doing.

I answered the second question with my general answer. It's pitiful. Media just loves him for being what he was as a basketballplayer so he often isn't held accountable for his off court shortcomings. This in no way makes Pippen's behavour any better or excuseable.

The only way you can excuse Pippen's behaviour is by saying "but the others did too" and that's no reasoning that makes any sense beyond elementary school level. Pippen is a frustrated, insecure idiot, who believes he deserves more credit than he's given, because he thinks of himself as an equal to Jordan in skills, because at some point someone might've said so, while the general basketball watching public thinks differently.

He simply can't cope with that emotionally and Jordan, the reckless psycho that he is, shoved that down his throat in the doc. Both parties are at wrong here, but you act like Pippen is some sort of victim.

A victim to what? We've seen peak Pippen without MJ, we've seen his ceiling. His career would've been that of Dominque or even worse. So he's the victim of being a top 30 player by being teammates with Jordan, albeit the most important one. He should just come out and say: "MJ you're an asshole, but I'm grateful to have been part of the most successful orga of the 90s." But he can't. He wants to be the victim.
    I agree with parts of the bold. Pippen did sign the contract and he was obligated to fulfill it. The Bulls were not obligated to renegotiate his contract. But he's not obligated to do anything above fulfilling his contract. So why is he selfish? Why does Pippen have to be loyal to an organization that wasn't loyal to him?

I keep hearing people say that Pippen was warned not to sign that contract. Not that it matter, but Pippen says that's not true. He never had a discussion with Reinsdorf about contract negotiations. He even stated that players never have conversations with owners about their contract. That seems to get overlooked.

You're right about that. If they were losing, then it would've been MJ would've been a team cancer based on his attitude and behavior with his teammates. Like I said previously, I do get Pippen being hurt by the organization. I get his side. The Bulls did give him the courtesy of telling them what they were going to do if he signed the contract. On that part, it was self-inflicted on Pippen''s part. But the Bulls treat it like a business and didn't take care of Pippen. He deserved to get paid more and they weren't treating him right overall. Granted, they had no obligation to do so, so Pippen responded back and treated it like a business on his part too. The bulls damaged his morale. Pippen wasn't in the wrong. The Bulls did say what they were going to do, but they didn't go above and beyond for him either.
    MJ didn't like it. I get why he didn't. He expressed his opinions about it.
    This is all im saying. However, Pippen did say that he never had a conversation with Reinsdorf about that contract he signed. He said that owners never negotiate with players with regards to contracts. I still feel Jordan was wrong as a teammate and so-called friend to call him selfish publicly.

I am really cherrypicking? Or is it the flip flop of stuff that Pippen would say, which I stated before. Especially on the racist comment. I do believe he was selfish at that moment because of the context of what he said. Even on the racist comment. His way of rationalizing it. But lets recap of everything Pippen said at that moment. He believed he was their best shot in winning, he believed he was the most dangerous player on the team, the best player on the team, he wanted it because he did all the dirty work prior and because MJ wasn't there, he believed it was disrespectful Phil wanted to give the ball to Kukoc instead, he got pissed and believed Phil was a racist because of this (his way of coping), but he didn't have any ill will towards Kukoc or anything like that.

Did I miss anything? Other than him wanting to be out there too.

In my eyes, that is selfish. But I also don't think that it's negative to want that. It's how he acted that was the problem and later on when he was promoting his book and going on interviews.
    You were cherrypicking because you focused on one quote from Pippen. But you acknowledged Pippens total views here. Not sure why you see him as being selfish. Under those circumstances, hes the best man for the job.

You keep bringing up Pippen calling Jackson a racist. He backed off that statement bro. Let it go. I don't think Jackson was a racist for drawing up the play for Kukoc. I think he was wrong.

that part is true. Even MJ would've agreed to that. You can go even further say without Phil, Tex or the rest of the Bulls. But he just didn't say that. And he changes his mind on whether MJ is the GOAT or not. And he said he wouldn't have been a superstar without him, and that isn't true. He was a superstar before Pippen get into the league. That comes across as bitter. Same thing now when he said MJ was a horrible player before him. And I feel like that's a case in point in how Pippen say things. Even you could write a script for Pippen that doesn't make him sound as whiny or bitter. But Pippen can't do it himself. That's why Ron Harper said to stop putting a mic in front of him. It's self-damaging in terms of self-image, but it's a great way to get attention.

And MJ didn't make Pippen. He may have helped evaluate Pippen in terms of defense or attacking in the offense, but we don't know for sure or the details. It's the same thing as how MJ taught Kobe a few tricks. He taught Carmelo how to score easier by changing his mindset. There are nice little tricks that we may not know too much about. And not anyone could win with MJ. You need talent, obviously. Pippen had talent. There are fans who just say crazy stuff. What ppl would say is that Pippen is more replaceable than MJ. They used to say the same thing about Kobe. And that's just because MJ was one of the most talented, consistent, and skilled players ever. Like he is once in a generation type. And I think if Pippen is trying to appeal to the fans, then I don't think that is succeeding. He is getting attention, but the fans aren't feeling him like that. And I think it's because of how he says things and the tone in which he says it.
    Pippen gave credit to Jackson and Winter in the interview he did with Stacey King. And again, he said he take Jordan on his alltime team. I think if people would listen to the context and everything he said, and stop being so sensitive about their idol Michael Jordan, theyd see that Pippen called MJ a bad team player before he got there. Not a bad individual talent.

Nope. After being retired for nearly 20 years, naw. I'll be bitter about the other personal stuff in his life, but not really about the basketball career. Everyone is different tho. Like Barkley, he would crack jokes, make fun at people and laugh at himself. Carmelo mentioned how he is at peace with not winning anything. But Jerry West is still in pain over what happened in 1969. Larry Bird is still pissed about the college game against Magic.

You can find peace in whatever. But I definitely wouldn't call Phil a racist when I believed he wasn't. Neither would I think that Phil is a racist for not drawing up the last play for me as a coping mechanism. I wouldn't say MJ wouldn't have been a superstar without me. If I was in Pippen shoes I would say that you don't think MJ leadership helped in the lockerroom, but acknowledge the hardwork he put into his craft and I would highlight my leadership skills to help counter MJ bully tactics. I would be upset about the money, but I would find some way to warn players not to let it happen to you. Don't do the same mistake that I did. Say it's a business and you got to protect yourself. Pippen has money and he made it. Ppl acknowledge him as one of the best robins and top 50 players of all time. Ppl acknowledge his defensive skills and all-around play. That's cool. Even if Pip thinks he is underrated, he could put it out there in a better way or be more confident in himself instead of trying to prove to other ppl.

I would personally do a series explaining the plays and schemes with the bulls and modern basketball to give the audience an understanding of the little things.
    Fair enough.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cs87P...RlODBiNWFlZA==

This video recaps Pippen's role in a tight game 1 win vs. the Jazz in the 97 Finals. Pippen is playing this championship series on a foot that needed surgery. A bunch of so-called Bulls fans and Jordanaires have gone out of their way to call Pippen "soft" and a "bum." Jordan called him selfish for opting to have surgery during the season. Pippen gave his heart and soul this series as he did the previous 4 championships. Only to find out that Krause was trying to trade him. Absolutely no loyalty. Then, his so-called friend Jordan, knowing all that had happened, calls him selfish in that Jordanmentary called the last dance.

Pippen was disrespected by the Bulls organization, the fans, and most of all Michael Jordan. I'd say eff them too.
    Of course you we wouldn't expect anything less out of you, cause we all know you’re a LeBron stan pretending to be a 90s Bull fan and a Bulls super fan.

And an obvious Jordan hater.

Everything Pippen is doing is outlandish and selfish. He sounds stupid as hell. And both Mike and PJ were very good to him. As were the Bulls. He just pushed it all away with his selfishness. And now talks stupid as hell to double and triple down.

It’s sad what’s happened to him. And what he’s doing to the memory of such a great team. Nothing portrayed in the Last Dance wasn’t 100% not accurate and didn’t not glorify him when obviously deserved.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

This is all im saying. However, Pippen did say that he never had a conversation with Reinsdorf about that contract he signed. He said that owners never negotiate with players with regards to contracts. I still feel Jordan was wrong as a teammate and so-called friend to call him selfish publicly.
    That's he said, she said type of thing then. But I know it isn't altogether true that owners never talk about players in regards to contracts because that wasn't what happened with Magic. Buss basically adapted Magic and told him about parts of the business and everything. But that was a different relationship.

Pippen took a gamble tho. He said he wouldn't want to get hurt and not be able to provide for his loved ones. So, he took the contract. It just didn't work out with him and the owners didn't give him a solid after he signed. He still made money tho.

You were cherrypicking because you focused on one quote from Pippen. But you acknowledged Pippens total views here. Not sure why you see him as being selfish. Under those circumstances, hes the best man for the job.

You keep bringing up Pippen calling Jackson a racist. He backed off that statement bro. Let it go. I don't think Jackson was a racist for drawing up the play for Kukoc. I think he was wrong.
    I quoted more than just one quote from Pippen about the situation. Not only from the book but from the interviews too. And I don't think you don't get why I see him as selfish as much as you disagree with my reasoning. The fact is, he wanted to take the last shot because of he believed he was the best player and he earned it. He didn't. That in itself is selfish. But that's not my problem. You have to be a little selfish to play in that lvl. My problem is that he is out there promoting team play yet at the same time he wanted the media to acknowledge him and give him more credit. Because he is like, "What about me? Give me credit. I did this, I did that. I was a better teammate than MJ." The fact that he said "I" is the selfish part. And then he mixes in when saying the word team. There's a reason why ppl think he is jealous and bitter, it's because of that reason.

And you know the reason why I keep mentioning that racist remark? Because he was in the wrong, and he knew he was in the wrong. Yet he still said it in interviews even after the fact. He criticizes MJ for disrespecting him yet at the same time Phil called him a racist just because of a basketball play that had nothing to do with race. And that is the reason why it rubbed ppl the wrong way. Even when you mention how Horry said Phil was a racist (which he didn't), which tries to validate Pippen asinine coping mechanism. Pip isn't in the right in this situation.

And that is a prime example of why ppl may not go to his side. He handled it wrong, he said things in the wrong way, he didn't need to write a book about his opinion on The Last Dance and then go on interviews burning some bridges like that. There are better ways to handle it and address his real points about the Bulls and express how good the team is. Instead, it's buried by the highlight of crazy stuff that he said.

And you say to let it go yet Pip didn't let things go over something that happened nearly 30 years ago. And you said yourself that you would be bitter too. How come he couldn't let go of that bitterness? How come he mentioned it in the first place? Why didn't he say that "I thought this, but I was wrong."

Granted, he said it in his book. But not in the interviews.

With that said, he could be playing the game. Getting ppl to buy his book.

Pippen gave credit to Jackson and Winter in the interview he did with Stacey King. And again, he said he take Jordan on his alltime team. I think if people would listen to the context and everything he said, and stop being so sensitive about their idol Michael Jordan, theyd see that Pippen called MJ a bad team player before he got there. Not a bad individual talent.
    I think Pippen needs an editor in what he says sometimes. Like you said, ppl don't pay attention to the context of what he said. They do get sensitive about it, but he does need to change how he says it. MJ was always a great player and he didn't need Pippen to be a superstar. MJ was already a superstar. But could he evaluate a team or get his team involved? And whatever he was a good teammate. That's another topic. Pip gave his teammates props. I think he did say even after the documentary that MJ was the goat and Phil was the goat coach. But then again, he goes back and says MJ is one of the goats because he doesn't think there is a single goat.

He did say that he contributes to winning to be the best. In the same interview, he was talking about how Jokic was the best even though he didn't win mvp. I don't remember if he said he was carrying the team or not prior to this year. But at the same, he didn't make that statement with MJ even though he was great.

He did say Phil had a huge ego and caused the team to break up. Even if they did want to go for another run after 98, Pip would've said no. But he gives credit to Phil because he pulled MJ back when it comes to scoring. But it's funny that as soon as they start comparing teams together like Bulls 96 or Bulls 93 or whatever, his eyes would light up and there is more praise about how good MJ and the team were. That sense of pride he has over the team. Everyone nba star gets like that when talking about their championship teams.
    Last edited by Micku; 06-04-2023 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    Of course you we wouldn't expect anything less out of you, cause we all know you’re a LeBron stan pretending to be a 90s Bull fan and a Bulls super fan.

And an obvious Jordan hater.

Everything Pippen is doing is outlandish and selfish. He sounds stupid as hell. And both Mike and PJ were very good to him. As were the Bulls. He just pushed it all away with his selfishness. And now talks stupid as hell to double and triple down.

It’s sad what’s happened to him. And what he’s doing to the memory of such a great team. Nothing portrayed in the Last Dance wasn’t 100% not accurate and didn’t not glorify him when obviously deserved.
    Lol. Bro. This isn't about Lebron James. But I'm on record and I'll say it again. Michael Jordan is the GOAT. There's nothing that I've seen from Lebron James career that can get me to see him as the GOAT. James stats are a product of the rule changes. So I don't put much stock in them. Jordan has no weakness in my opinion.

What I disagree with, is this notion that Jordan won 6 championships by himself, that he made Pippen, that the Bulls weren't a damn good team without him. And for the record, the Bulls were a damn good team without Pippen as well. The first half of the 98 season proves it. But I do feel Pippen is disrespected. And I'm disappointed in Jordan and how he presented the Last Dance.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

They didn't talk about Cliff Levingston help defense either in 91, which was amazing.

They didn't talk about Rodman defense on Shaq.

They didn't talk about Luc Longley.

But they also didn't think about MJ scoring like 15-20 pts in the clutch in 1989 against the Cavs. They talk about the game winner, but not the details of it. Hell, no one really mention how impressive that 89 run was in detail.

They didn't talk about how good of a job MJ did on defending Cylde Drexler.

I don't remember if they talked about the good defense Pippen did on Mark Jackson? I legit forgot.

We talk about how good MJ was, they don't talk about the details in the actual game plan. I think the Knicks straight up tried not to toss the ball or run their actions where ever MJ side was. They talk about how the shot creation overall nor the low turnovers. Dude created like 15 open shots in one game for his teammates while scoring 39 pts 1992 Finals and that was more than the entire 2014 playoffs.

The documentary did show how good of a player MJ was but not in detail. Not in detail at all. Dude doing things that were insane and this was before all of the advanced stats started.
    The Bulls were insane too tho, more than just MJ. They were a great team. The best in their respective era. From the coaching staff to most of the teammates that they have, they were really great. And they weren't the most talented team either.

But the documentary itself wasn't Kobe's "detailed" series for hardcore b-ball fans.

It really could've talked about how good the Bulls were from a basketball standpoint and really show why MJ was the best player. It wasn't that type of documentary and you'll never get that from a mainstream format. It didn't even describe the triangle in detail if I can recall.
    Fantastic post. And 100% correct

NBA rookie of the year

Scottie is just insecure, he can't take criticism, everything has to be on his terms or he explodes on people and starts a feud (from Jordan to Barkley to Phil Jackson to Bulls ownership, etc. etc. etc.).

The documentary highlighted less than flattering things about Jordan (gambler, not the happy go lucky leader but a vicious task master that was far from the teddy bear image in TV commercials), Rodman (partyholic, immature, bailed on the team to go off and do god knows what) ... but it's only Pippen who blows a fuse when legitimate things are included like the incident where he would not go into a game because he was jealous of Kukoc or he refused to get surgery in the summer to spite the Bulls and then demanded a trade out.

This guy cries all day about "not getting enough credit", when the fact is he probably is more well known today than a lot of players he's frankly not as good as. The only players from the 90s other than Jordan who are more well known today from that era are Barkley and Shaq and even that is basically only because they are on TNT on a famous TV show, not even because of their careers per se at this point.

Pippen guy gets way more attention than he frankly deserves. Nobody gives a shit about Hakeem Olajuwon or Patrick Ewing or David Robinson these days even though these players were far better player's than Scottie Pippen. Are they getting even 15 minutes of time on Netflix? The show is for casual viewers too, not just basketball diehards, no one wants to watch 2 full Pippen episodes, like get over yourself buddy. Is James Worthy swearing and feuding with Magic and Kareem because he never gets anywhere near as much attention in Lakers docs' and shows?

It is what it is. Scottie is dumb enough and petty enough to let a TV show on Netflix destroy the relationships he had on the Bulls because he was upset a TV show brought up things he actually did do. Guess they won't be having a team reunion any time soon or maybe Scottie just won't be there. Even Kobe/Shaq were smart enough to reconcile, don't bet on Pippen ever doing it. I don't think this will ever be mended, the way Pippen is and add on top of it his ex-wife dating Jordan's son, and it's pretty much over. That Bulls team is done, I don't think they will ever get over this.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 06-05-2023 at 12:58 AM.

Does this look someone who has a problem with anything Jordan is doing or has done at that time?

“Michael Jordan was the greatest to ever put on shoes and play in our game. No doubt about it,” Pippen said in 2018 on ESPN.

“I’m always asked to compare him to LeBron. I try to make the best of it. But really the comparison shouldn’t ever be made. They both play two different positions. The way LeBron James plays, Michael Jordan was never asked to play that way because I took that away from him. I was the point forward. I was the facilitator. Michael Jordan was a scorer. He was a defender. He played the game as complete as LeBron James did when he needed to. But he was asked to score the basketball and that’s what he was great at.

“And there’s no game that I would ever play in and pick LeBron James over Michael Jordan. Not if I’m trying to win. I’m not going to give up my teammate who I won six championships with and go and start fishing in a pond thinking I’m going to catch a bigger and better fish.”
    Last edited by RogueBorg; 06-05-2023 at 09:27 AM.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Scottie is just insecure, he can't take criticism, everything has to be on his terms or he explodes on people and starts a feud (from Jordan to Barkley to Phil Jackson to Bulls ownership, etc. etc. etc.).

The documentary highlighted less than flattering things about Jordan (gambler, not the happy go lucky leader but a vicious task master that was far from the teddy bear image in TV commercials), Rodman (partyholic, immature, bailed on the team to go off and do god knows what) ... but it's only Pippen who blows a fuse when legitimate things are included like the incident where he would not go into a game because he was jealous of Kukoc or he refused to get surgery in the summer to spite the Bulls and then demanded a trade out.

This guy cries all day about "not getting enough credit", when the fact is he probably is more well known today than a lot of players he's frankly not as good as. The only players from the 90s other than Jordan who are more well known today from that era are Barkley and Shaq and even that is basically only because they are on TNT on a famous TV show, not even because of their careers per se at this point.

Pippen guy gets way more attention than he frankly deserves. Nobody gives a shit about Hakeem Olajuwon or Patrick Ewing or David Robinson these days even though these players were far better player's than Scottie Pippen. Are they getting even 15 minutes of time on Netflix? The show is for casual viewers too, not just basketball diehards, no one wants to watch 2 full Pippen episodes, like get over yourself buddy. Is James Worthy swearing and feuding with Magic and Kareem because he never gets anywhere near as much attention in Lakers docs' and shows?

It is what it is. Scottie is dumb enough and petty enough to let a TV show on Netflix destroy the relationships he had on the Bulls because he was upset a TV show brought up things he actually did do. Guess they won't be having a team reunion any time soon or maybe Scottie just won't be there. Even Kobe/Shaq were smart enough to reconcile, don't bet on Pippen ever doing it. I don't think this will ever be mended, the way Pippen is and add on top of it his ex-wife dating Jordan's son, and it's pretty much over. That Bulls team is done, I don't think they will ever get over this.
    Pippen went full retard. He could have said something back to defend himself and end it there.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Truth. I see why Scottie wifed up Larsa Kardashian.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    Does this look someone who has a problem with anything Jordan is doing or has done at that time?

“Michael Jordan was the greatest to ever put on shoes and play in our game. No doubt about it,” Pippen said in 2018 on ESPN.

“I’m always asked to compare him to LeBron. I try to make the best of it. But really the comparison shouldn’t ever be made. They both play two different positions. The way LeBron James plays, Michael Jordan was never asked to play that way because I took that away from him. I was the point forward. I was the facilitator. Michael Jordan was a scorer. He was a defender. He played the game as complete as LeBron James did when he needed to. But he was asked to score the basketball and that’s what he was great at.

“And there’s no game that I would ever play in and pick LeBron James over Michael Jordan. Not if I’m trying to win. I’m not going to give up my teammate who I won six championships with and go and start fishing in a pond thinking I’m going to catch a bigger and better fish.”
    Exactly. Who did Scottie choose to present him into the HOF?

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist View Post
    Exactly. Who did Scottie choose to present him into the HOF?
    Yup

Scottie didn't have a problem with Jordan at his induction ceremony in 2010. Pip wanted MJ to unretire in 1995, and in 2018 still had no problem with anything.

His problems all stem from the Last Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    Yup

Scottie didn't have a problem with Jordan at his induction ceremony in 2010. Pip wanted MJ to unretire in 1995, and in 2018 still had no problem with anything.

His problems all stem from the Last Dance.
    The things he's saying though are clearly deep-rooted sentiments that he was resolved to keep in the recesses of his mind until the aforementioned docu-series came out.