Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Magic average > 20ppg only 4x

Magic career average for regular season is 19 ppg. His career average for playoffs is also 19 ppg.

This is why I have no problem with putting Lebron top 2. He helps eliminate these mediocre scorers like Magic and Bill Russell out of top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    AGAIN, READ MY ****ING POSTS

Magic was an ultra-efficient scorer. He peaked much higher as a scorer than Pippen. He had monster 30-40 pt Playoff games where he carried the team's scoring load when Kareem was either injured or didn't have it.

When they won in '87 Magic averaged 26/8/13 on 59%TS in the Finals
    The following year in '88 he averaged 21/6/13 on 68%TS (!!) in the Finals for the B2B title

This is so ****ing stupid.

You don't disrespect the greatest PG to ever play the game because Pippen sucked at scoring the basketball. Magic was not an inefficient #2 who barely averaged 20 ppg on mediocre efficiency in his best years so this thread makes 0 ****ing sense.
    How many monster 30-40pt postseason games did he have?

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk View Post
    Pippen was a really good player and elite for his era...but the 90's era is the weakest of the 3-point era. He was consistently a top 10 player in that era, but idk if he is top ten in any other decade.

Magic would still be great regardless because his passing/BBIQ was transcendent.
    Pippen would still be top 10 in the 2000's, for a good amount of years at least. I don't think the likes of Yao, Melo, Allen, Pierce or even Kidd were definitively better than Pippen. Hell, I'm sure even Ben Wallace was in top 10 consideration for several seasons in that decade.

Where he'd rank today would make for an interesting discussion, the top 10 is as competitive as it's ever been.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by basketballcat View Post
    Your response is just dumb. It's a clear strawman argument. CLEARLY, I am not saying that Pippen is on the same tier as Magic. I said Magic is top 5-10. Pippen is top 20-30.

What I'm saying is that Pippen's scoring should not be used to dismiss him as just another sidekick. He is not a nobody.

Sure, Magic is OBVIOUSLY the far superior passer. But Pippen is also OBVIOUSLY the far superior defender. AGAIN, this is not a Magic vs Pippen comparison. It's a comparison of the logic by which all time players are assessed. If you do not dismiss Magic out of the top 10 because of his scoring, then by the same token, you should not use the same argument to dismiss Pippen's place in the top 30.
    Pippen is nowhere near top 20 best players ever.

You guys are the reason 3ball exists. Trying to recorrect mainstream narratives.

Magic was a GOAT teammate elevator and he produced extremely efficiently as a scorer himself. He understood that elevating teammates is what will allow a team to reach its highest ceiling and that's why he focused on it. He is a winner and very high IQ. Pippen? The only reason he "facilitated" so much is because his jumper was broke and so was his scoring acumen. He was a transition dunker type. In the half court it was hot potato. Magic was a genius offensively.