Default Before Nikola Jokic there was Chris Webber

Before Nikola Jokic there was Chris Webber first big man along side Vlade Divac who averaged ng 5 or more assists per game. Webber in his prime was a MVP level player, and he was battling Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan sa Power forward positions. I think he finished top 3 in MVP voting in the early 2000's. In his prime he averaged 27 ppg, 11 rpg, and 5 apg. Journalist labelled him as a taller Charles Barkley with better passing and low posts game. Webber also had a decent 3 points shooting.

Default Re: Before Nikola Jokic there was Chris Webber

League front office, possibly driven by TV ratings obsessed marketing teams, or worse, royally screwed Webber and the Kings out of their title run.

Never had I had my heart ripped out by professional sports until that happened. It kinda helped me grow up fast, to some other/unseen harsh realities of the adult world.

I literally began to much more strongly distrust media/sports institutions (grew up only distrusting cops and the govt), but because of 9-11 and the kings getting a chip stolen from them…. That blossomed into full blown distrust of the majority of moneyed interests and western entertainment.

Respect to Chris Webber for enduring such a bogus, shady, bullsh!t episode that no champion should have to endure. Much less a champion that was ahead of his time.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool View Post
    League front office, possibly driven by TV ratings obsessed marketing teams, or worse, royally screwed Webber and the Kings out of their title run.

Never had I had my heart ripped out by professional sports until that happened. It kinda helped me grow up fast, to some other/unseen harsh realities of the adult world.

I literally began to much more strongly distrust media/sports institutions (grew up only distrusting cops and the govt), but because of 9-11 and the kings getting a chip stolen from them…. That blossomed into full blown distrust of the majority of moneyed interests and western entertainment.
    Jesus

NBA rookie of the year

These haters are triggered by Lakers completing their 3peat. They'd be equally as triggered if Heat or Warriors completed their 3peat.

That's why Jordan is GOAT. He did something twice that will get you hated on if you only do once. It was why he was forced into retirement after completing those 3peats. It was to cool off the triggered haters who might do something horrible like murder him or his loved ones which they did with his father.
    Last edited by JohnMax; 05-24-2023 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool View Post

Respect to Chris Webber for enduring such a bogus, shady, bullsh!t episode that no champion should have to endure. Much less a champion that was ahead of his time.
    Oh shut the **** up.

Kings flat out choked. You have not watched a single minute of that series.

Did the league rig it for the Lakers in Game 5, when Shaq had 1 FTA all game and fouled out, and where the Lakers got robbed down the stretch of that game? Huh? Do even know there were 6 other games in that series? **** you.

Very good NBA starter

Those early 00s Kings teams were some of the best basketball every played. Very entertaining.

Spurs, Warriors and modern ball in general owe a lot to them, but they're very underrated in the mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Those early 00s Kings teams were some of the best basketball every played. Very entertaining.

Spurs, Warriors and modern ball in general owe a lot to them, but they're very underrated in the mainstream.
    Having big men that can pass is so valuable. They can make the types of plays and passes that perimeter players can't. A playmaker working out of the paint/low post/elbow creates optimal passing and cutting lanes. Bill Walton proved it back in the '70s; Wilt was at his best when playmaking, too.

To me, it fundamentally makes more sense for the playmaker to be the center. He's in a position where he can pass to anywhere on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Oh shut the **** up.

Kings flat out choked. You have not watched a single minute of that series.

Did the league rig it for the Lakers in Game 5, when Shaq had 1 FTA all game and fouled out, and where the Lakers got robbed down the stretch of that game? Huh? Do even know there were 6 other games in that series? **** you.

You got issues

College superstar

I like how random topics like this are flooding the main page right after the sweep loss. Same guy that makes the threads too. LOL

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Having big men that can pass is so valuable. They can make the types of plays and passes that perimeter players can't. A playmaker working out of the paint/low post/elbow creates optimal passing and cutting lanes. Bill Walton proved it back in the '70s; Wilt was at his best when playmaking, too.

To me, it fundamentally makes more sense for the playmaker to be the center. He's in a position where he can pass to anywhere on the court.
    I think the game has changed and that it used to be a lot more normal with the center passing from the high post.

I'm not a coach but I figure that systems such as Princeton and the Triangle, both use the center as the main creator.

In practical terms, it's just really easy to play off ball as a guard with a passing center, because the center can pass when you cutt off ball, backdoor cuts, which a point guard would struggle to get through, is much easier for a big man to find you.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Webber and the Kings were robbed of the 2002 ring by the league... but webber wasn't nearly as good as jokic. He was more athletic... and a really good passer... but Yolk averages double the dimes webber did. And is a way better shooter and scorer. Those kings teams were LOADED. If you placed jokic on those teams in place of webber even the refs wouldn't be able to change the eventual outcome which would be championship. The refs tried to sway the Lakers to beat the Nuggets and still failed to a tune of a sweep.

Kobe and Shaq both realistically have 1 less ring. Kings got cheated. The fans got lied to. Lakers fans are still as ignorant today as they were then.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    I think the game has changed and that it used to be a lot more normal with the center passing from the high post.

I'm not a coach but I figure that systems such as Princeton and the Triangle, both use the center as the main creator.

In practical terms, it's just really easy to play off ball as a guard with a passing center, because the center can pass when you cutt off ball, backdoor cuts, which a point guard would struggle to get through, is much easier for a big man to find you.
    Absolutely.