Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Why is STOCKTON so underrated?

Even Russell Westbrook put up better stats than Stockton in the nba finals.

Russell Westbrook has averaged 27.0 points, 6.6 assists and 6.4 rebounds in 5 games in the NBA Finals in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    I'm not so sure Stockton could defend & shoot like CP3, but they are on similar levels in those departments.

His prime/peak was a step below other all-time great PGs like Magic, Nash, CP3, & the Big O, but his longevity more than made up for it.

I always see him listed as a top 25-30 player ever.

I don't think he gets underrated.
    Probably top 30-35

He was underrated obviously because of his longevity. The version of him we all remember he was past his prime, not the guy going for 17pts 15 assists and 3 steals on insane percentages at his peak.

He was also unselfish to a fault, not shooting the ball enough despite having the skillset to score in volume. Barkley in interviews have said that Stockton could have scored 25ppg if he wanted to which was nomal opinion among his peers its just that he decided to play a different way

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post
    He was underrated obviously because of his longevity. The version of him we all remember he was past his prime, not the guy going for 17pts 15 assists and 3 steals on insane percentages at his peak.

He was also unselfish to a fault, not shooting the ball enough despite having the skillset to score in volume. Barkley in interviews have said that Stockton could have scored 25ppg if he wanted to which was nomal opinion among his peers its just that he decided to play a different way
    The Jazz may have won a title if he did that, it would make the PnR infinitely more dangerous if Stockton was as lethal scoring as he was passing. 'Deciding to play a different way' if he really had that capability handicapped the ceiling of that team.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 05-23-2023 at 07:55 PM.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The Jazz may have won a title if he did that, it would make the PNR infinitely more dangerous if Stockton was as dangeous scoring as he was passing. 'Deciding to play a different way' if he really had that capability handicapped the ceiling of that team.

Stockton swept Shaq and Duncan, while Lebron was destroyed by Booker or Jokic with more help

So there are things you aren't considering like Stockton's low turnovers and superior clutch stats - Stockton was Jordan in the clutch - literally - MJ and Stockton were always 1 and 2 in clutch points with Stockton being right there with MJ

Stockton also averaged 21/11 in the 97' WCF including the historic series walk-off over Barkley - this carried the Jazz to the Finals - almost no PG's have done that

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    Stockton swept Shaq and Duncan, while Lebron was destroyed by Booker or Jokic with more help

So there are things you aren't considering like Stockton's low turnovers and superior clutch stats - Stockton was Jordan in the clutch - literally - MJ and Stockton were always 1 and 2 in clutch points with Stockton being right there with MJ

Stockton also averaged 21/11 in the 97' WCF including the historic series walk-off over Barkley - this carried the Jazz to the Finals - almost no PG's have done that
    It's funny that I see you quote me and I literally gloss over your post. I couldn't be less interested in anything you have to say directed at me or in general.

7-time NBA All-Star

It's funny that I see you quote me and I literally gloss over your post. I couldn't be less interested in anything you have to say directed at me or in general.

Haha you're so mad

Get Lebron's dick out of your mouth son.. Then you won't be so mad

Haha you're so mad

Get Lebron's dick out of your mouth son.. Then you won't be so mad
    You should take your own advice. The first post you quoted had nothing to do with Lebron, I was talking about Stockton's scoring you stupid fukk

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

You should take your own advice. The first post you quoted had nothing to do with Lebron, I was talking about Stockton's scoring you stupid fukk

The Jazz may have won a title if he did that, it would make the PNR infinitely more dangerous if Stockton was as dangeous scoring as he was passing. 'Deciding to play a different way' if he really had that capability handicapped the ceiling of that team.
    Whats really the difference between having 10 more points compared to 5 more assists? Passing more increases the effectivity of his teammates while promoting team chemistry. Jazz never had that deep of a team to begin with especially in their Finals runs and he made them a more dangerous team overall because of his unselfishness.

7-time NBA All-Star

Clutch Points 1997 PLAYOFFS

Clutch Points 1997 FINALS

Yes and my post was about Stockton's scoring (despite the Lebron derail) - aka almost no point guards averaged 21/11 in the conference finals to lead their team to the Finals - Stockton did that in the 97' WCF and hit the historic walk-off over Barkley, while being MJ in the clutch - again, almost no PG's have played at this level to lead their team to a Finals.. Stockton was a better scorer than you're giving him credit for... And that wasn't his only big-scoring series.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Stockton was never known as a scorer. Dude is really showing "clutch points" in 1997, the year he averaged around 15 ppg or so. I can only imagine how much you would shit on a player if he put up those numbers playing with MJ.

Now, prime Nash... that is a good example of a point guard who could take over a game occasional with his scoring.

Yes and my post was about Stockton's scoring (despite the Lebron derail)
    As far as I read. Yes, you took a post about Stockton and saw an opportunity to mention Lebron. We could have been talking about pvssy and you'd segway that into Lebron, dumb fukk

I usually hit open layups

FG - 51.5%
    FG3% - 38.4%

In this era, the tutti fruity/Curry era, he'd be boss!!!

Look at that range!

the BIG SLOW? No thank you!
    the combo guard? Nope!
    CPB!tch? Not a chance!

Give me Stockton all day!

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Stockton was never known as a scorer. Dude is really showing "clutch points" in 1997, the year he averaged around 15 ppg or so. I can only imagine how much you would shit on a player if he put up those numbers playing with MJ.

Now, prime Nash... that is a good example of a point guard who could take over a game occasional with his scoring.

Stockton was a better scorer than Pippen in the 97' Playoffs:

Playoffs

97' Pippen.......... 19/7/4 on 42%..... clutch = zero
    97' Stockton....... 16/4/9 on 52%..... clutch = MJ

Stockton's 97' run also exceeded Pippen's 96' and 98' runs where Pippen averaged 16.8 on literally the worst efficiency that anyone ever had for a playoff run of 15 games and 35 mpg