Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Jokic showing the Lakers crowd what class is..

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan View Post
    It's possible to make too much of it.

Jokic speech - https://youtu.be/HYd90T1onmY?t=141
    Curry speech (WCF MVP 2022) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSpbQ1xA5Cg

Very similar in making it about the team and giving credit to other teammates.

So please don't get on your high horse about "class" just because Jokic is giving the speech or whatever suburbanite attachment you have to him versus other players.
    Steph is also a known gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Oh shit - I meant right not white.

My bad guys.

You were right the first time

College superstar

So please don't get on your high horse about "class" just because Jokic is giving the speech or whatever suburbanite attachment you have to him versus other players.
    It's not even just about class. It's about being real. Lebron always seems to prepare for these interviews/speeches ready to throw out cringe ass quotes he picked from a crack in the sidewalk. Sht like Rome wasn't built in a day, then can't hide the smirk on his face thinking he just changed the world with what he just spewed out, making sure the camera got it right and people heard it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Joker will tuly arrive , after winning a chip he will be sporting a beard , so his nose doesn't turn beet red.

championship beard here we come !!!!

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Airupthere View Post
    It's not even just about class. It's about being real. Lebron always seems to prepare for these interviews/speeches ready to throw out cringe ass quotes he picked from a crack in the sidewalk. Sht like Rome wasn't built in a day, then can't hide the smirk on his face thinking he just changed the world with what he just spewed out, making sure the camera got it right and people heard it.
    Everyone has his own style. IMO, there's nothing wrong about saying Rome wasn't built in a day or being eloquent. It's inspiring and implies it was a team effort. Jokic has a self-effacing style- some like it, some don't.

If a player even got up there and elaborated on the hard work they did to get to that point, I wouldn't fault them one bit. Actually the people at home should hear about hard work. Everyone wants to be a LeBron James or an Elon Musk, but hidden from them is all the work and sacrifice it took to get there.

Boy boy boy, does this thread reek of racists. It's insane how black culture gets attacked whenever the opportunity presents itself, meanwhile the other races are left to their devices in the same situations.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    How about Kobe???
    nah, he wasn't that classy. actually, i think he was a bit of a douche.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon View Post
    Boy boy boy, does this thread reek of racists. It's insane how black culture gets attacked whenever the opportunity presents itself, meanwhile the other races are left to their devices in the same situations.
    It's the new thing. Overpraise the white player for doing nothing special as "classy". Concoct imaginary offenses for black players and label them "ghetto" or unsportsmanlike. Apply double standards. It's less overt but the same principles apply.

It's a bit comical and sad that some fans cannot acknowledge ANY of Jokic's flaws. Or Doncic. And you can forget it if there's some conflict or scuffle. It's always "he's done nothing wrong".

It's the new thing. Overpraise the white player for doing nothing special as "classy". Concoct imaginary offenses for black players and label them "ghetto" or unsportsmanlike. Apply double standards. It's less overt but the same principles apply.

It's a bit comical and sad that some fans cannot acknowledge ANY of Jokic's flaws. Or Doncic. And you can forget it if there's some conflict or scuffle. It's always "he's done nothing wrong".
    It doesnt go both ways, right?

White guys never get labeled unathletic or bad defenders because of assumptions based on skin tone, do they?

Guys like Perkins and Stephen A and Kyrie and Jaylen Brown dont play the race card to undermine white players and coaches right?

You only point it out when it’s white people being racist, so I assume that means blacks are the only victims of stereotypes and negativity.

Ofc Im being sarcastic, but on the other hand Im quite certain you and sdotthedon genuinely believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    If youre proud of how he represents you, that’s great. Lets take a page from his book and not be obnoxious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Honestly, if it makes me sound r-word, then so be it, but there might be something to not being able to connect to most black stars. I don't get their machismo style. It seems convoluted and fake. The NBA as a whole should never have leaned as much into rap culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    You were right the first time
    It was a spelling mistake guys. It happens.

Local High School Star

It doesnt go both ways, right?

White guys never get labeled unathletic or bad defenders because of assumptions based on skin tone, do they?

Guys like Perkins and Stephen A and Kyrie and Jaylen Brown dont play the race card to undermine white players and coaches right?

You only point it out when it’s white people being racist, so I assume that means blacks are the only victims of stereotypes and negativity.

Ofc Im being sarcastic, but on the other hand Im quite certain you and sdotthedon genuinely believe that.
    It happens but it's less often and less pervasive to every aspect of it, including how someone gives a speech.

If anything I see black commentators and athletes heaping praise on players like Jokic, going out of their way to call out how special he is. To some extent, that is the magnanimous nature of a group that is dominant in some field- to offer praise for those who are different but doing well. You see that in white academia and other circles when a black or non-white professor is coming up. In the NBA, it's probably 85% black and the top players are black so there's a comfort zone in being complimentary towards someone different, as overall they still dominate.

So I would not say there is equivalence for that reason.

Since the context are these forums and not the wider sports media, I would say I see very little of these kinds of racial digs towards white players, A LOT towards black players.

There is a kind of insecurity that is expressed by some fans, who need to constantly attempt to show how upstanding white players are and how problematic black players are. I think black fans don't have that insecurity because they see so many black players being successful, that their output speaks for itself whereas some white fans, not all, feel they need to make a case on how they are better. When you only have a handful of great players, maybe it's more common to have a chip on one's shoulder. In the business world, it's a bit of the opposite.

Well that spelling mistake turned this thread on its head...

What culture exactly? How do you define black culture as an single entity?
    Is B.B. King less black culture than Tupac?

Black thug culture is definately a stupid cliché-ish thing that shouldn't be idolized. What are its benefits?
    That shit came over the pond about 2 decades ago and infested the urban youth and nothing good came out of it. Just like the american college liberalism became a thing here nobody actually needs.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    It was a spelling mistake guys. It happens.