Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Exclamation The Lakers need to win 4 of the remaining 4 games to beat the Nuggets

Lakers need to win 4 of the next 4 games to beat the Nuggets.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Re: The Lakers need to win 4 of the remaining 4 games to beat the Nuggets

It can be done scoring 4 more points in total. Very doable.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: The Lakers need to win 4 of the remaining 4 games to beat the Nuggets

Where is Lebron23?

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut View Post
    Where is Lebron23?
    He's praying to Allah that you die this year.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    He's praying to Allah that you die this year.
    Lebron23 believes in Allah?

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    It can be done scoring 4 more points in total. Very doable.
    History says it can't

Quote Originally Posted by 1_BAD_TIGER View Post
    History says it can't
    Math says otherwise. ;)

It's certainly not likely. But if the Lakers have a 40% chance of winning their home games and a 10% chance of winning their away games, then:

Game 4: 40%
    Game 5: 10%
    Game 6: 40%
    Game 7: 10%

All those things happening with no other interference:

Chance = 0.4 X 0.1 X 0.4 X 0.1 = (0.4 X 0.1)^2 = 0.0016 = 0.16% of a chance. Which is not much: 1 out of 625

Now winning by exactly one point each game has like a one in a million or billion of a chance. Little. Not great, not terrible. ;)

Math says otherwise. ;)

It's certainly not likely. But if the Lakers have a 40% chance of winning their home games and a 10% chance of winning their away games, then:

Game 4: 40%
    Game 5: 10%
    Game 6: 40%
    Game 7: 10%

All those things happening with no other interference:

Chance = 0.4 X 0.1 X 0.4 X 0.1 = (0.4 X 0.1)^2 = 0.0016 = 0.16% of a chance. Which is not much: 1 out of 625

Now winning by exactly one point each game has like a one in a million or billion of a chance. Little. Not great, not terrible. ;)
    I think they probably avoid the sweep but I don't see how they win game 5. Assuming they did, then I think with the series going back to LA they would actually start to have a chance again. But I don't see game 5 being anything besides a Denver blowout, and that's assuming LA gets there

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    I think they probably avoid the sweep but I don't see how they win game 5. Assuming they did, then I think with the series going back to LA they would actually start to have a chance again. But I don't see game 5 being anything besides a Denver blowout, and that's assuming LA gets there
    If you are Vegas there is always a chance bigger than zero until the event goes down, at which point it's obviously 100% either way. So if you attach certain probabilities to these separate events you are coming up with some odds. You can select any probability for an individual event but it cannot be zero or 1 [0% or 100%]. You can play around with it if you like. I think 1-2% of a chance is realistic. The fact it is 0-149 so far historically is one thing. The lakers' chances are better than 1:150 because they are a better team than the average team having been down 0-3. So yeah, I'd give it a 1-2% chance.

NBA rookie of the year

If you are Vegas there is always a chance bigger than zero until the event goes down, at which point it's obviously 100% either way. So if you attach certain probabilities to these separate events you are coming up with some odds. You can select any probability for an individual event but it cannot be zero or 1 [0% or 100%]. You can play around with it if you like. I think 1-2% of a chance is realistic. The fact it is 0-149 so far historically is one thing. The lakers' chances are better than 1:150 because they are a better team than the average team having been down 0-3. So yeah, I'd give it a 1-2% chance.
    Are you a betting man? You talk about Vegas a lot lately.

Learning to shoot layups

Lakers is done.

Written by a Lakers and LeBron fan.

The feeling I have is that the Nuggets are superior. Right now I only see it as remotely possible for the Lakers to avoid the humiliation of a sweep with an honor win.

If it were another team ... but Denver already has enough experience of playing life and death games and they are not the kind of team that falls apart mentally.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Session View Post
    Lakers is done.

Written by a Lakers and LeBron fan.

The feeling I have is that the Nuggets are superior. Right now I only see it as remotely possible for the Lakers to avoid the humiliation of a sweep with an honor win.

If it were another team ... but Denver already has enough experience of playing life and death games and they are not the kind of team that falls apart mentally.
    A LeBron fan with 58 posts on an alt account. Sounds like one of 3 LeBron fans on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut View Post
    Are you a betting man? You talk about Vegas a lot lately.
    No. I just know how probabilities work. Physicist.

I know how reality works, Lakers are done, probability just left the building.

It's shocking how math is mostly lost on people. Some act like it's witchcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by 1_BAD_TIGER View Post
    I know how reality works, Lakers are done, probability just left the building.
    Yes, that's the safe bet, but the Lakers chances are still not 0.