Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Who has the highest release point on their shot?

Yeah a hook shot is a jump shot but with primarily one hand. You are "jumping" when you shoot the hook shot, hence, "jumpshot". Dunking is completely different. The category should include any shot that is not a dunk.

That's why, considering how Kareem's sky hook was released with his arm straight up, the apex of that shot has to be higher than any other shot in my opinion.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Dunkers release the ball as they slam it through the rim.
    I know how a dunk works. It's a shot, you're taking a "shot" at the basket. if you make it it's 1/1 fg, if you miss you're 0/1. Let's not re-invent the wheel here, when someone says "jumpshot" you know what they mean. We're just debate-lording for the sake of being annoying at this point.

Kareem probably had his hand 12 feet in the air on those shot releases.
    Yeah, zero chance of that. 12 feet is insane.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Kareem had a 10 foot standing reach and a 40 inch vertical. It's not far fetched at all which is why the shot was defined as being unguardable due to release point

If we're talking release point then Larry Bird should be mentioned. He shot from behind his head.
    I also remember Josh Richardson having a high release point. This of course is without including elevation I'm assuming

Kareem had a 10 foot standing reach and a 40 inch vertical. It's not far fetched at all which is why the shot was defined as being unguardable due to release point
    A 7'2 with a 40 in vert would get his head half a foot over the rim. 40 in verts don't grow on trees, my guy, there's been like a handful of dudes in the NBA who can claim that with evidence(one is a 40 year old VC, which is damn impressive). I know Kareem's hook shot was unguardable, I'm not contending that, or that KAJ was a freak athlete. I'm contending your claim he'd jump 24 inches on them. That's insane lift to be getting casually on your normal shots, it just doesn't impress people on paper because "40 in vert" gets thrown around irresponsibly.

That's like... 4-5 in? Maybe 6 at most?

This is how these tall tales about old players start.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Kareem could get up but he wasn’t gonna go all out for a hook. Even the ones over wilt he didn’t need to do all that. He could shoot it higher without jumping higher.

Ive seen him around head level with the rim though.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    A 7'2 with a 40 in vert would get his head half a foot over the rim. 40 in verts don't grow on trees, my guy, there's been like a handful of dudes in the NBA who can claim that with evidence(one is a 40 year old VC, which is damn impressive). I know Kareem's hook shot was unguardable, I'm not contending that, or that KAJ was a freak athlete. I'm contending your claim he'd jump 24 inches on them. That's insane lift to be getting casually on your normal shots, it just doesn't impress people on paper because "40 in vert" gets thrown around irresponsibly.

That's like... 4-5 in? Maybe 6 at most?

This is how these tall tales about old players start.
    That's definitely closer to 12 inches off the ground. In fact, Kareem is still rising in that pic as the shot would not have been released as he was on the way down. I don't know, the title of the thread asks for highest release point, and with his arm straight up in the air and not at an angle like a regular two-handed jump shot, it's hard to argue that Kareem did not have the highest release point at the time or all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    That's definitely closer to 12 inches off the ground. In fact, Kareem is still rising in that pic as the shot would not have been released as he was on the way down. I don't know, the title of the thread asks for highest release point, and with his arm straight up in the air and not at an angle like a regular two-handed jump shot, it's hard to argue that Kareem did not have the highest release point at the time or all time.
    If op's intention was asking for the highest release point period and used a jumpshot as his example, then he has a really dumb understanding of how basketball works as ANY hook shot or layup is going to have higher release point than jumpshots. He seems like a pretty intelligent guy from the little interactions I've had with him, so assuming this thread wasn't made from a lack of understanding the game I assume he meant strictly jumpshots. I'm always open to being wrong. If it's any shot that isn't a dunk, then yeah I'll go with either the skyhook or the Wilt's drop step finger-roll.

Wemby

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I was referring to jump shots... Kareem had a left wing jumper , and it was one of the highest.
    A hook shot parleys to a layup ... I don't count that.
    Kareem's hook used to not arc. put all most throw down.
    I saw in many angles in the Milwaukee mecca arena.
    He walked by me once in the tunnel , and it was un real !!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    This