Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default People are taking issue with Steph being nominated for a “Social justice” award.

Default Re: People are taking issue with Steph being nominated for a “Social justice” award.

So the issue is people say he’s against “affordable” housing near him so he’s not really trying to help. But I’ve also read the development he opposed near him was gonna be condos….which in his neighborhood….would cost a million dollars.

How you get from that to being anti affordable housing Im not sure. Anyone have more details than I’m willing to find right now?

Default Re: People are taking issue with Steph being nominated for a “Social justice” award.

Ok so they apparently wrote a letter to the city to oppose condos and townhomes. What does California call “affordable”? You imagine a condo anywhere near Steph Curry goes for 1200 a month? I don’t.

Steph Curry and his wife, Ayesha, are against the idea of a low-income housing development near their $30 million mansion in Atherton, California. The Currys oppose the development so strongly that they wrote a letter to the town voicing concerns about their privacy and safety if the development is pushed forward.

The town of Atherton has opted to upzone a 1.5-acre lot with the property owner planning to develop up to 16 three-story townhomes. The townhomes would be “looming directly behind us,” according to the Currys.

“We hesitate to add to the ‘not in our backyard’ (literally) rhetoric, but we wanted to send a note before today’s meeting. Safety and privacy for us and our kids continues to be our top priority and one of the biggest reasons we chose Atherton as home,” the Curry’s letter read in part.
    The Currys also stated in their letter that if the project is to move forward they ask the town to build taller fencing and landscaping to block sight lines into their property.

Feels more like the super rich not wanting normal rich being up the street. I don’t know if anyone poor is harmed in any way.

This house is 7 million dollars in his town.

How “low income” would the development possibly be?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I don't have an informed opinion on what they are trying to call "affordable housing" but I do wonder if it's good for the NBA to be so political. I respect every player, coach, or other individual's right to be active and express opinions but does the league need to make it an award? Feels like the focus has shifted further from basketball than what I personally want to be watching.

National High School Star

didn't know there was such an award

carmelo was the first winner followed by reggie bullock

its a useless award, I just wonder who pulls the strings on these

who told Silver to have such an award?

Definitely wasnt Silver, right?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    I don't have an informed opinion on what they are trying to call "affordable housing" but I do wonder if it's good for the NBA to be so political. I respect every player, coach, or other individual's right to be active and express opinions but does the league need to make it an award? Feels like the focus has shifted further from basketball than what I personally want to be watching.
    I'm impressed by this post

I assume it’s like the NFL man of the year or the old community assist or whatever award the nba had. I figure they changed the name after the Bubble incidents.

Actually they still have the community assist award. Gary Payton’s son won it last year. So I have no idea how you win this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Actually they still have the community assist award. Gary Payton’s son won it last year. So I have no idea how you win this one.
    opinions regarding race/victimhood, reparations, blm are welcome

and ofc lgbtq although most ballers aint got nothing to do with that. so its gonna come down to who is the biggest blm supporter

Good High School Starter

Trueing.

The NBA is only as rich as it is because it's a form of escapsim for people. Don't lose sight of that, NBA.

National High School Star

headline of an article from a couple years ago

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is proud of NBA’s new social justice champion award, but worries US still faces ‘the same issues’

Good college starter

The criticism is fair to bring up. Pretty much inconsequential though as discussed by others here. Steph and Ayesha have done a lot but then again they are rich enough to have done so. Curry is so high profile already though that it is kind of awkward for him to receive such a self-congratulatory award from the NBA. Indeed all the NBA awards are rather pointless.

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

How “low income” would the development possibly be?
    It would be apartments and the city would occupy those units with the peasants who provide their town services like teachers