Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Klay Thompson nothing more then a spot up shooter at this point?

I didn't get a chance to watch alot of GSW games this season due to my busy work schedule but the times I did, I never saw Klay Thompson take somebody off the dribble. Could have just been considence, but is KT nothing more then a spot up shooter at this point? (he kinda always was anyway before the injury).

He also plans on taking a paycut.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default Re: Is Klay Thompson nothing more then a spot up shooter at this point?

You probably didn't watch Klay when Curry was out. Klay was averaging 26-27 ppg during that two-month stretch. He was taking ppl off the dribble then on timely possessions.

His shot was completely off in the Lakers series. Shot horribly. He can still play defense, but not as well. But his him shooting poorly in the playoffs isn't the first time. He has shot poorly multiple times. Although this was his worst to date. He couldn't even make a lay up.

Who knows what the future will bring. Players nowadays are playing longer and adding new stuff to their game at a late age. So, I guess we'll see. And we don't know if he was dealing with an injury. Probably not, but who knows.

That system is breaking down nowadays. Even in game 7 against the kings, it was curry carrying. Klay and Poole and Wiggins and Draymond isn't enough anymore

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    That system is breaking down nowadays. Even in game 7 against the kings, it was curry carrying. Klay and Poole and Wiggins and Draymond isn't enough anymore
    2 of the best 3 and D guys and the best defender of his generation isn't enough.

Curry's 26ppg on 54% TS and atrocious defense wasn't enough...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

He's a glorified JJ Reddick, never was a good defender and I don't get where that narrative came from, even on offense he's never shot 60%TS for his career

He's a chucker who gets hot every now and then

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    He's a glorified JJ Reddick, never was a good defender and I don't get where that narrative came from, even on offense he's never shot 60%TS for his career

You really not going to count that? Like he was 59.7% and 59.8%. Like c'mon man. That's like one free throw. Hahah

High School Starter lxlHoTsAuSelxl's Avatar

I never saw him as a spot up shooter, he was never left open to be spot up shootet. Their offence was run around the floor, get 100 screens until you have 3" of space to get a shot off. Nolonger see his as a legit second option, but can be a really good 3rd/4th option.

7-time NBA All-Star

Klay has always been a spot-up shooter that teams just leave open every once in a while, hence the "Klay game", aka one-off.

He has almost no FT attempts and no assists, while guys like Reggie Miller had 6-7 FT attempts or guys like Hornacek had 5-6 assist average and superior PER, BPM, WS/48 and VORP in regular season and playoffs..

Klay is the quintessential secondary producer that expert jumpshooters are able to win with - expert jumpshooters win with secondary producers like Klay, Pippen, Pau, Lowry, Terry or Wiggins, while ball-dominators need all-time scorers to pass to like Kareem, AD, Wade and all-star scorers at 3rd option as well.. Ball-dominators need a boatload of help to win, so the best ball-dominators are infeiror to the best expert jumpshooters.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

That's all he's ever been.

He goes off once in a blue moon and is JR Smith 85% of the time in the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    That's all he's ever been.

He goes off once in a blue moon and is JR Smith 85% of the time in the playoffs

no difference

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
    I didn't get a chance to watch alot of GSW games this season due to my busy work schedule but the times I did, I never saw Klay Thompson take somebody off the dribble. Could have just been considence, but is KT nothing more then a spot up shooter at this point? (he kinda always was anyway before the injury).

He also plans on taking a paycut.
    quite frankly when I watched him be effective thru-out his career .. that is all he really has been.
    War keep Green ,klay and Curry they are looking at best 2 years and 100% done.
    (THEY NEED A LEGIT CENTER)

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Best 3 point shooter of all time. Insane gravity. Elite perimeter defense. High IQ.

Most people have him as their starting SG for all-time teams.

Imagine trying to imply he sucks.... curry stans are cancer.

Naw he’s still a scorer but he’s just declined everywhere. Defense has been obvious. Numbers look the same but keep in mind they’re a bit inflated in 2023 even compared to just 5 yrs ago. Can’t get to the rim nearly as well anymore off cuts and drives, midrange % is down. He was always above average efficiency wise but last 2 years he’s been below average.

I would still take him on my team over those young scorers who don’t do much else like herro, maxey, Simons, Poole but he’s not a star anymore, likely will never make the all star team again

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post

This is just false. I remember him playing great defense throughout the '17 playoff run. He was a very good defender before the '19 injury.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

For 3 months in a row this year he put up 23, 27, and 26 a game. He’s hardly Duncan Robinson.