Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What is the obsession with fans wanting chuckers to have “their own team?”

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    You're underrating Brown. He's a legit 2way All Star talent.

A better comparison for poole would be Clarkson or jamal crawford.

Brown is a nice player on a good team. Same with Tatum. And the Celtics happen to have an exceptional supporting cast. Thats… great. Thats perfectly acceptable. A good team with good players. The goal is to build a winning team.

You put EITHER Brown or Tatum alone on an average NBA roster?

Probably wont make the playoffs.

Individuals are not as important as you think, with exceptions for generational guys like Lebron, Jokic, and regular season Steph.

People just prefer to anthropomorphize team concepts into human faces, it helps them to understand.

But what they think is happening is not really what is happening.

Default Re: What is the obsession with fans wanting chuckers to have “their own team?”

Jaylen brown coming to the Knicks would not be his own team. He would be sharing with a really good player in another Jalen, just spells his first name differently

Jordan Poole has been bad this year. He's got talent but him chucking his way to 25 points a game will not lead to even the playoffs unless he's got another young guy that can build

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Most great players don’t win with or without their “own” team. Like 30% of the hall of fame led a title team. You obviously don’t need to do it to prove you’re great. You might need to do it to prove you’re top ____ all time but the kinda players you mentioned aren’t in the running for that either.

Youre talking guys who ideally would go from being like….Byron Scott doing 19 on a dynasty to being Harden or maybe even Joe Johnson being multi time all stars and having a few playoff runs.

Being Joe Johnson or Bernard King or…Tmac? Not a bad deal.

Most would take that over being Byron Scott I’d think. And a lot of those Byron Scott types would take it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Most great players don’t win with or without their “own” team. Like 30% of the hall of fame led a title team. You obviously don’t need to do it to prove you’re great. You might need to do it to prove you’re top ____ all time but the kinda players you mentioned aren’t in the running for that either.

Youre talking guys who ideally would go from being like….Byron Scott doing 19 on a dynasty to being Harden or maybe even Joe Johnson being multi time all stars and having a few playoff runs.

Being Joe Johnson or Bernard King or…Tmac? Not a bad deal.

Most would take that over being Byron Scott I’d think. And a lot of those Byron Scott types would take it too.
    Thats why I specified fans. I understand all the temptations for a player to do it.

Why would you want to watch the Joe Johnson Hawks instead of the Showtime Lakers?

So you can jerk off if Joe Johnson snags an upset playoff win on the way to a 4-1 defeat?

So many people want to see iso hero shit at the expense of quality winning basketball.
    Weird.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Brown is a nice player on a good team. Same with Tatum. And the Celtics happen to have an exceptional supporting cast. Thats… great. Thats perfectly acceptable. A good team with good players. The goal is to build a winning team.

You put EITHER Brown or Tatum alone on an average NBA roster?

Probably wont make the playoffs.

Individuals are not as important as you think, with exceptions for generational guys like Lebron, Jokic, and regular season Steph.

People just prefer to anthropomorphize team concepts into human faces, it helps them to understand.

But what they think is happening is not really what is happening.
    I agree with your point but that goes for everyone.

Lebron missed the playoffs before AD came over. And he had Ingram whose an AllStar talent. Everybody needs help. Even the best guys.

It takes 8-9 guys deep to win a ring. We just saw the sun's with Devin booker and KD going nuts at times get routed because their bench play and depth was so poor.

I agree though paying guys like poole is a disgrace. They'd be better off signing me to the team for 500k. Way less money and I won't cripple you. I'll be the waterboy.

Looping jaylen Brown into the mix is odd though.

I agree with your point but that goes for everyone.

Lebron missed the playoffs before AD came over. And he had Ingram whose an AllStar talent. Everybody needs help. Even the best guys.

It takes 8-9 guys deep to win a ring. We just saw the sun's with Devin booker and KD going nuts at times get routed because their bench play and depth was so poor.

I agree though paying guys like poole is a disgrace. They'd be better off signing me to the team for 500k. Way less money and I won't cripple you. I'll be the waterboy.

Looping jaylen Brown into the mix is odd though.
    Bruh

Lebron had that group of NOBODIES sitting 4th in the West before he suffered a six week injury, at which point they fell off a cliff and the team never recovered. So lets give a little credit to LeHung please.

But of course that team wasnt gonna win a chip, it would be literally impossible. Lebron was getting the absolute maximum conceivable amount out of them before the injury, but to my point… nobodys gonna win anything serious on their own.

Brown is definitely getting overrated because he can focus on doing one thing, which is the thing people see, scoring, and theyre overvaluing him for it.

Put him on a team that isnt as strong and deep, he’s not gonna be good enough to carry them anywhere. So what is the point??

People really need to see Jaylen Brown score an extra 6-7 points a night on a 29 win team??

I just dont get it.

Bruh

Lebron had that group of NOBODIES sitting 4th in the West before he suffered a six week injury, at which point they fell off a cliff and the team never recovered. So lets give a little credit to LeHung please.

But of course that team wasnt gonna win a chip, it would be literally impossible. Lebron was getting the absolute maximum conceivable amount out of them before the injury, but to my point… nobodys gonna win anything serious on their own.
    Forget lebron then.

Prime KG... Kobe... Kareem... etc. all missed the playoffs. Everybody needs help.

I get your point though.. 1dimensional scorers like POOLE are extremely overrated and overpaid. They're basically worthless and albatrosses on the teams that pay them because casual fans only ball watch and don't pay attention to any other type of off ball impact.

Jaylen Brown ain't that though. He's worth the money.

Forget lebron then.

Prime KG... Kobe... Kareem... etc. all missed the playoffs. Everybody needs help.

I get your point though.. 1dimensional scorers like POOLE are extremely overrated and overpaid. They're basically worthless and albatrosses on the teams that pay them because casual fans only ball watch and don't pay attention to any other type of off ball impact.

Jaylen Brown ain't that though. He's worth the money.

I am not saying the Celtics shouldnt pay Brown.

My point is there will be fans who say Jaylen Brown should go be “the man” in Charlotte or Detroit and that makes no sense to me.

Why would people who enjoy watching basketball want to see Jaylen Brown lose games as an iso hero rather than contribute to a contending team.

I am not saying the Celtics shouldnt pay Brown.

My point is there will be fans who say Jaylen Brown should go be “the man” in Charlotte or Detroit and that makes no sense to me.

Why would people who enjoy watching basketball want to see Jaylen Brown lose games as an iso hero rather than contribute to a contending team.
    I don't think anybody wins on current Detroit or Charlotte. Wilt chamberlain wouldn't win on those teams and technically not worth money if a ring is your only goal.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Harden has been a notorious failure with his “own team.”

Like its weird to me people would think hes a GOOD example.

But I guess its just different perspectives. Which is fine.
    Failure by what standard? He's won MVPs and division championships, right?

By the very highest standard, he's failed I guess but there are a lot of people in that boat. If everyone won championships then they wouldn't be special. I think judging everyone by the very highest standard is a narrow view of success.

I don't quite agree with Giannis's "there's no such thing as failure" rant but I also don't agree that if you never win a championship you're a failure. So much in NBA is about where you are and what you have around you. Every era has really good players that are just not quite as good as the best players, so they're eternally blocked from winning titles.
    Last edited by Goldrush25; 05-13-2023 at 03:30 PM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Thats why I specified fans. I understand all the temptations for a player to do it.

Why would you want to watch the Joe Johnson Hawks instead of the Showtime Lakers?

So you can jerk off if Joe Johnson snags an upset playoff win on the way to a 4-1 defeat?

So many people want to see iso hero shit at the expense of quality winning basketball.
    Weird.

Feels like you mean player fans not fans of a team. If so…yea they want to see them put in work. Prove their individual greatness. Obviously you don’t need titles to do that when most greats never even get close. I can see why a bigtime Nash fan would prefer he have his Suns run than stay on the mavs and never get credit for whatever they did.

A mavs fan? Different story.