Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is the obsession with fans wanting chuckers to have “their own team?”

Whenever a young guy is a decent scorer people talk about how he “needs his own team.”

Why? If youre not good enough to make an impact without 20 shots, you arent a great basketball player. Guys like Jordan Poole who “get their own team” win nothing, ever. Same with Jaylen Brown, people claim he “needs his own team.” To do what, compete for the top lotto pick every year??

But fans are obsessed with this shit. Cant get enough of hero culture. “He can score many point, he can be superstar, he need own team!!!”

You do know basketball is not just two players going back and forth trying to out score each other individually right?? Theres a whole bunch of team concepts involved, and iso scoring isnt the big deal gatorade and espn tell you it is.

It’s amazing fans will look at a guy on a competitive team and think the problem needing to be solved is that the team needs to stop holding HIM back from being “a superstararrrz!!!”

People are so brainwashed by how things are presented to them.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: What is the obsession with fans wanting chuckers to have “their own team?”

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Whenever a young guy is a decent scorer people talk about how he “needs his own team.”

Why? If youre not good enough to make an impact without 20 shots, you arent a great basketball player. Guys like Jordan Poole who “get their own team” win nothing, ever. Same with Jaylen Brown, people claim he “needs his own team.” To do what, compete for the top lotto pick every year??

But fans are obsessed with this shit. Cant get enough of hero culture. “He can score many point, he can be superstar, he need own team!!!”

You do know basketball is not just two players going back and forth trying to out score each other individually right?? Theres a whole bunch of team concepts involved, and iso scoring isnt the big deal gatorade and espn tell you it is.

It’s amazing fans will look at a guy on a competitive team and think the problem needing to be solved is that the team needs to stop holding HIM back from being “a superstararrrz!!!”

People are so brainwashed by how things are presented to them.
    Well it was kinda the norm pre lebron’s “the decision”.

Once you reached a certain level you moved on to start your own team and legacy.

All that’s changed now though.

KD let that chatter get to his head and he absolutely cucked himself and sabotaged his career.

Default Re: What is the obsession with fans wanting chuckers to have “their own team?”

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Well it was kinda the norm pre lebron’s “the decision”.

Once you reached a certain level you moved on to start your own team and legacy.

All that’s changed now though.

KD let that chatter get to his head and he absolutely cucked himself and sabotaged his career.
    By norm you mean Kobe did it? Who else?

MJ and Pippen didnt split up after three titles bc “own team.”

Manu and Parker didnt say “**** winning, we each need the keys to our own lottery team.”

Magic and Kareem didnt split up for the sake of more individual endorsement opportunities.

Iguodala won 60 games as Denver’s best player the year before joining Curry and winning FMVP. He could have stayed in Denver to win less with more touches.

It’s so absurd when people think good players shouldnt play together, just bc then fans cant figure out who to worship.

Is the team concept simply not appreciable to fans?

I mean I can understand it for Lebron of course, hes the exception, but everywhere else people should want to see the best team’s possible, not just a bunch of teams composed of dueling chuckers who cant utilize the rest of their teams.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

By norm you mean Kobe did it? Who else?

MJ and Pippen didnt split up after three titles bc “own team.”

Manu and Parker didnt say “**** winning, we each need the keys to our own lottery team.”

Magic and Kareem didnt split up for the sake of more individual endorsement opportunities.

Iguodala won 60 games as Denver’s best player the year before joining Curry and winning FMVP. He could have stayed in Denver to win less with more touches.

It’s so absurd when people think good players shouldnt play together, just bc then fans cant figure out who to worship.

Is the team concept simply not appreciable to fans?

I mean I can understand it for Lebron of course, hes the exception, but everywhere else people should want to see the best team’s possible, not just a bunch of teams composed of dueling chuckers who cant utilize the rest of their teams.
    All the guys you listed were legit side kicks.

Pippen wasn’t good enough for his own team. Manu and Parker weren’t good enough for their own teams.

There’s better of a case with Magic and Kareem but take into account Kareem’s advanced age at the time. He was still a great player though.

Iguodala wasn’t good enough for his own team

They just aren’t on the same tier as the best players in the league.

Otoh Wade in 2010 was on a best player in the league tier. He was good enough for his own team.

Its not a fans obsession.

There is an innate urge in any human being to reach their potential and fulfill themselves.

So many young players and players in general want to try themselves out and make it as "that guy".

Its normal.

The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

Because ya never know who’s gonna turn into a “Harden” when they get their own team. That’s why OP. Ya never truly know until you see. Because I damn sure didn’t think James would be James back in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mask the Embiid View Post
    Because ya never know who’s gonna turn into a “Harden” when they get their own team. That’s why OP. Ya never truly know until you see. Because I damn sure didn’t think James would be James back in 2012
    He was and is a career loser

Quote Originally Posted by coin24 View Post
    He was and is a career loser
    And he will still go down higher all time than his counterpart who did the opposite and stayed (manu).A”career loser” will go down ranked higher than someone who beat team USA “as the man” and won 4 rings…because he went out on his own

Eat shit cashew
    Last edited by Mask the Embiid; 05-13-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    Its not a fans obsession.

There is an innate urge in any human being to reach their potential and fulfill themselves.

So many young players and players in general want to try themselves out and make it as "that guy".

Its normal.
    From a practical matter there's only so much money to go around on any team. There's a direct correlation between scoring and salary in the NBA, so anyone that can score is trying to maximize their earning potential (as they should), even if it's on a bad team.

Good point on Harden, I don't think anyone saw future MVP when he was the third man on OKC. He made the right move leaving.

this

Harden didnt win anything with his “own team.”

Neither did Westbrook, or Irving, or Durant, or Carmelo.

Curry wasnt even his own team’s FMVP the first three times they won.

But youre telling me the likes of Jordan Poole and Jaylen Brown need their “own team” to lose on because the most important thing is shot attempts and shoe endorsement?

Just a weird mentality to me. But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrush25 View Post
    From a practical matter there's only so much money to go around on any team. There's a direct correlation between scoring and salary in the NBA, so anyone that can score is trying to maximize their earning potential (as they should), even if it's on a bad team.

Good point on Harden, I don't think anyone saw future MVP when he was the third man on OKC. He made the right move leaving.
    Harden has been a notorious failure with his “own team.”

Like its weird to me people would think hes a GOOD example.

But I guess its just different perspectives. Which is fine.

But youre telling me the likes of Jordan Poole and Jaylen Brown need their “own team” to lose on because the most important thing is shot attempts and shoe endorsement?

No one said Jordan Poole and Jaylen Brown need their own team.

Westbrook never had his own team.

Durant, Carmelo were obviously well right to have it. So was Harden. It completely transformed him as a player and his life.

I guess it’s a good thing Dame Lillard has his own team tho.

It sure would suck to have to win basketball games with other good players.

No, we want to see just how good they are when they are “the man”. Who goes to levels we never thought they’d go (harden,tmac,brunson,ect) and who would fall flat (Lin,Ariza,Stephenson,ect)

We just want to see how great some of these people are when they aren’t playing behind someone. Yes, I would like to see how good a Haliburton is when he is not in Fox’s shadow. What can I say.. if that makes us weird then hey we are weird
    Last edited by Mask the Embiid; 05-13-2023 at 01:17 PM.