Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default How strong is Nikola Jokic?

At first he doesn't look strong at all. He is tall. Kinda big. 290 pounds, okay, that's a lot. But he looks like a pedestrian 7 foot fan out there.

On the other hand, other centers and power forwards just bounce off him. He seems to be able to bully everyone in the paint, even Giannis and Embiid (who do look strong). Steven Adams, too, and he looks to be very strong. And Jokic doesn't just do it with his lower body but upper as well. many times he is strong enough to play through heavy contact and still finish ot at least take a shot be it 2 or 12 feet from the rim.

So this is a question I have no answer to.

How strong do you think Jokic is? Which tier does he belong?

Default Re: How strong is Nikola Jokic?

They dont call him Thickola SoThicć for nothin ;)

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    They dont call him Thickola SoThicć for nothin ;)
    He doesn't look like someone who would excel in bench press or anything gym related. Sure, I've seen some strongman competitions when marshmellow looking guys proved to be very strong. In armwrestling, too, many a times the more muscular guy is just weaker. But I'm not sure about Jokic. I think his shoulders are broader than Embiid's and Giannis' which is strange. Ican't put my finger on his real strength level though. Looks weak yet bodies everyone. And when he uses his hand (he often does) he looks very strong. All that without any muscle definition.

He's got that farm boy strength. He's built like those big linemen from the Midwest.

Jokic has a couple of hardcore brothers. One of them is a MMA fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Jokic has a couple of hardcore brothers. One of them is a MMA fighter.
    Yeah, I know. He is not his brother though. ;)

I guess he is very strong but there is absolutely no visible sign of that strength. In a way that's also true for his speed. He looks slow. But somehow manages to get up and down and his first step is very very fast. He looks weak and unathletic. Like a big fatty that has nothing to do with sports.

Onto some other question: who do you think is stronger? Embiid or Giannis? Giannis or Jokic? Adams or? I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post

I guess he is very strong but there is absolutely no visible sign of that strength. In a way that's also true for his speed. He looks slow. But somehow manages to get up and down and his first step is very very fast. He looks weak and unathletic. Like a big fatty that has nothing to do with sports.

Onto some other question: who do you think is stronger? Embiid or Giannis? Giannis or Jokic? Adams or? I really don't know.

The players say Adams is the strongest guy in the league, by a lot.

Bird was similar to Jokic he didn't look to have any muscle definition at all but bullied other players routinely.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post

Muscle definition doesnt really determine the kind of upright leverage you have. Duncan didnt look shredded and he had great leverage. Things like bone density and overall mass are more important than how much you bench. If you have slim hips and modest bone density, big gunz arent gonna keep you from getting bumped off a spot. The girth has to come from your body, or in Lebron’s case, his *****.

Jokic is a polar bear. Most opponents just dont have the mass to bang with him, doesnt matter if they look cut and bench pressy.

Jokic most likely has average raw strength for NBA player with his body type (which is already stronger than 90% of the league) and he knows how to use his massive body. You don't need much strength if you have mass and knows how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    The players say Adams is the strongest guy in the league, by a lot.
    Yes, I can totally believe that. He looks to be very strong. So then: Embiid or Jokic or Giannis?

Bird was similar to Jokic he didn't look to have any muscle definition at all but bullied other players routinely.
    Good example. What kind of strength do you need to do that? I'm 6'1 and played organized basketball for 10+ years. But I didn't need strength as I was a PG/SG. Then as an adult I went to practice krav maga any muay thai. I guess I'm not weak for my size (220 pounds) but not being a 7 foot 300 pound guy I don't have much experience when it comes to this kind of strength.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

He doesnt have the huge forearms or biceps which are the "show" muscles people typically associate with strength.

Kblaze posted a thread before showing how his upper side delt areas are always scratched up. That's because that's where jokic strength lays. In his shoulders, torso, and hips. That's where his power lies. And when guys get banged they claw at that area.

well does it really matter? bc he only seems to want to get in a fight with much smaller players. dude's a bitch, lmk when he tries the same shit on embiid or adams. newsflash, the fatboi won't bc he's an emotional bitch that would get decked by someone his size.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Muscle definition doesnt really determine the kind of upright leverage you have. Duncan didnt look shredded and he had great leverage. Things like bone density and overall mass are more important than how much you bench. If you have slim hips and modest bone density, big gunz arent gonna keep you from getting bumped off a spot. The girth has to come from your body, or in Lebron’s case, his *****.

Jokic is a polar bear. Most opponents just dont have the mass to bang with him, doesnt matter if they look cut and bench pressy.

I totally agree with that. Still strange. Recently I started watching armwrestling. It's a very technical sport. I was just stunned when saw some matches won by seemingly much weaker guys. The last was Genadi Kvikvinia vs. Devon Laratt like a week ago.

And yes, I undestand the mass and momentum kinda thing and as momentum involves mass times velocity squared speed is also an important part. It still amazes me. You can work on your strength. Jokic doesn't look like someone spending much time in the gym though.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    well does it really matter? bc he only seems to want to get in a fight with much smaller players. dude's a bitch, lmk when he tries the same shit on embiid or adams. newsflash, the fatboi won't bc he's an emotional bitch that would get decked by someone his size.

There aren't many guys his size in the league.

Got that Tyson Fury type strength.