Local High School Star

Default What Actually Happened on the Warriors Last Offensive Possession against the Lakers

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsAp0...c4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

When I watched this play on Nba.com TV in real-time I couldn't understand why Draymond threw the ball away. He's a high IQ player who distributes the ball well.

Watching the angle above showed me exactly what happened.

Scenario: LeBron on Klay, Anthony Davis on Wiggins. The Warriors (Wiggins) intended to screen for Klay Thompson, freeing him up, and forcing LeBron to run around the screen (he would be too late).

Interestingly, LeBron knew what the Warriors were trying to do ahead of time and called Anthony Davis to cover Klay rather than have him run around the screen. Davis walled off the pass to Klay.

It seems Draymond was set to pass to an open Klay Thompson, when he noticed what the Lakers did. He then modified his pass to get it to Wiggins but the pass was slightly off. Turnover.

Little things can make all the difference. In real-time when we're watching, these things happen fast. It's hard to know exactly what was going on. The angle here is pretty helpful is seeing what's going in the corner where all the action happens before Draymond gets the pass off.

Props to LeBron- these are things that don't end up in the statistics but decide games.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: What Actually Happened on the Warriors Last Offensive Possession against the Lake

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsAp0...c4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

When I watched this play on Nba.com TV in real-time I couldn't understand why Draymond threw the ball away. He's a high IQ player who distributes the ball well.

Watching the angle above showed me exactly what happened.

Scenario: LeBron on Klay, Anthony Davis on Wiggins. The Warriors (Wiggins) intended to screen for Klay Thompson, freeing him up, and forcing LeBron to run around the screen (he would be too late).

Interestingly, LeBron knew what the Warriors were trying to do ahead of time and called Anthony Davis to cover Klay rather than have him run around the screen. Davis walled off the pass to Klay.

It seems Draymond was set to pass to an open Klay Thompson, when he noticed what the Lakers did. He then modified his pass to get it to Wiggins but the pass was slightly off. Turnover.

Little things can make all the difference. In real-time when we're watching, these things happen fast. It's hard to know exactly what was going on. The angle here is pretty helpful is seeing what's going in the corner where all the action happens before Draymond gets the pass off.

Props to LeBron- these are things that don't end up in the statistics but decide games.
    Good call.

That was a brilliant move by lebron on the fly. To have that level of intelligence on top of GOAT physical ability is pretty crazy.

Default Re: What Actually Happened on the Warriors Last Offensive Possession against the Lake

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Good call.

That was a brilliant move by lebron on the fly. To have that level of intelligence on top of GOAT physical ability is pretty crazy.

You will see more of that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDViQIwOtY8&t=500s

Lebron is probably the smartest player in the league, he does this a lot especially with Warriors. I imagine he probably spends a lot of time on the film room to learn all the plays. The issue is Dray was sped up, he didn't need to make the pass, there was plenty of time to do something else. He panicked and blew it. He did a lot of this post season as well, but it was heavily masked under Wiggins playing significantly better basketball, and guys like GPII (with the vertical spacing), Otto and Belly playing so well as role players that you didn't notice it.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I heard a former video scout go on once about how Lebron, Draymond, CP3, and Rondo all know every play every team runs by heart and how it was almost unfair how prepared the 2020 Lakers were and how quickly rondo and Lebron made adjustments mid game.

That said even if you know what’s coming it’s designed to force a decision that can be exploited so the defense obviously can’t win em all.

NBA Superstar

Not only did he call for the switch immediately when he knew what they were doing but he pointed AD to the exact spot where Klay was going to end up.

Really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    Lebron is probably the smartest player in the league, he does this a lot especially with Warriors. I imagine he probably spends a lot of time on the film room to learn all the plays. The issue is Dray was sped up, he didn't need to make the pass, there was plenty of time to do something else. He panicked and blew it. He did a lot of this post season as well, but it was heavily masked under Wiggins playing significantly better basketball, and guys like GPII (with the vertical spacing), Otto and Belly playing so well as role players that you didn't notice it.
    Lonnie Waker speaks on this game-IQ here at 3:00:

I know someone else or maybe even a few said Bron calls out all the opponents plays lol.