Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default The all D teams come out today at 2. Seems they added a third team.

Maybe the players wanted it for contract eligibility reasons like all nba teams?

NEW YORK — The NBA has announced the award schedule for this week with the NBA All-Defensive Team to be revealed on Tuesday at 2 p.m. ET.The primary individual defensive award this season went to Memphis center Jaren Jackson Jr., who was named the 2022-23 Kia Defensive Player of the Year. Jackson Jr. edged out the other two DPOY finalists, Milwaukee’s Brook Lopez and Cleveland’s Evan Mobley.
    On Tuesday the NBA will announce the five players on each of the All-Defensive First, Second and Third teams.

Default Re: The all D teams come out today at 2. Seems they added a third team.

3rd teams seems ike a crapshoot for defense

NBA All-star

I wonder if journey men that's out of the rookie contract even cares about such thing

National High School Star

brook lopez
    jaren jackson jr.
    evan mobley
    jrue holiday
    alex caruso

bam adebayo
    draymond green
    og anunoby
    dillon brooks
    derrick white

no third team

I assume that was a typo, Kblaze.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Yea it had to be. Marcus Smart about to be outraged. Rudy too probably. His replacement in Utah got more votes.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Why would Rudy be outraged? No one expected it this year

Mikal belongs on the 1st team.

Local High School Star

Brook Lopez > Gobert and Anthony Davis at defense

Alex Caruso superior defender to Marcus Smart, Mikael Bridges.

Maybe the general public values celebrity too much when they vote for these things but you can follow why they voted the way they did.

I can only assume the media went by "stats" which is not the way to measure defense and there is no statistic that is representative of defensive skill.

The media should not vote. I would suggest ex-coaches and players.
    Last edited by bdonovan; 05-09-2023 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan View Post
    Brook Lopez > Gobert and Anthony Davis at defense

Alex Caruso superior defender to Marcus Smart, Mikael Bridges.

Maybe the general public values celebrity too much when they vote for these things but you can follow why they voted the way they did.

The media should not vote. I would suggest ex-coaches and players.
    Yep, Alex Caruso is one of the biggest stars in the game. Ironic you make that complaint about valuing celebrity then claim you want the coaches to vote, when they put Kobe on the All-Defensive First Team for a decade straight.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Yep, Alex Caruso is one of the biggest stars in the game. Ironic you make that complaint about valuing celebrity then claim you want the coaches to vote when they put Kobe on the All-Defensive First Team for a decade straight.
    LeBron would still be making it if the coaches hadn't been removed from voting back in 2014 or whatever

They aren't perfect but it's better than it used to be.

Interesting AD was completely omitted. I'm not saying AD should have won DPOY, but him and JJJ are very close when it comes to defensive advanced metrics. They are nearly equal in deflections, contested shots and defensive rating splits, while AD grabs twice as much rebounds and fouls less than JJJ. The obvious answer to many is that AD missed too many games to be considered first team defense.

Except for one thing: AD has played more minutes this past regular season than both JJJ and Alex Caruso. I believe there's two biases against AD: AD is considered a much higher tier level player than JJJ and so has to play up to higher expectations. Injuries count against you more when you are a superstar. And the second thing is the effect of social media. AD is slandered by social media fan bases relentlessly for being injured. So bad to the point where even sports show TV and radio hosts are calling him 'street clothes'. It's a kind of a mob mentality that I'm sure has had some effect on voting.

I still remember when Brook Lopez was looked at as a defensive liability.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Yep, Alex Caruso is one of the biggest stars in the game. Ironic you make that complaint about valuing celebrity then claim you want the coaches to vote, when they put Kobe on the All-Defensive First Team for a decade straight.
    you probably know this already

but phil jackson questioned some of the kobe selections

perhaps some coaches are wiser than others after all

whereas the trend these days seems to be f the coaches

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    LeBron would still be making it if the coaches hadn't been removed from voting back in 2014 or whatever

They aren't perfect but it's better than it used to be.
    yeah 2014 was when coaches stopped voting

not sure there's much of a difference comparing say 2013 and 2014 in terms of who was picked