Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Pop, Spo, Kerr, and Malone(Nuggets) are the only coaches not to be fired since 2020.

I assume if Malone loses to the Suns the list gets cut to 3.

What would you say is the chief reason for this? Teams don’t care if you win rings anymore. Teams have been firing coach of the year and guys on 60 win teams in recent times.

Think it’s more teams not valuing a coaches contribution to success like they used to or GMs just being quick to shift blame to someone else for poorly built teams living off lucky acquisitions of stars to carry them to better records than they deserve?

Star coaches don’t seem to exist anymore. Guys like Riley and Larry Brown used to get “Larry Brown and his Indiana Pacers against Pat Riley and the New York Knicks” intros. Coaches got credit for their teams whole style. These days I’d say only Dantoni and Kerr get any of that. Maybe it’s because almost everyone plays the same style so there are no Paul Westhead types trying to score 170 vs someone like Lenny Wilkens happy to win 92-88?

That could be part of it. Everyone has figured out how to play offense so there is less difference and coaches are seen as more motivational?

What would you say had made teams feel coaches are less valuable? Or would you say they’re valuing them even more by giving them total blame for losing?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Pop, Spo, Kerr, and Malone(Nuggets) are the only coaches not to be fired since 20

COTM wasn't fired.

Coaches have been getting fired for underachieving for as long as I can remember. Doubt anyone other than Jerry Sloan kept his job with two of the greatest players ever while going from 1st to 3rd in their division and I'm not talking the 2nd time he did it with the legendary Boozer and Williams

National High School Star

Default Re: Pop, Spo, Kerr, and Malone(Nuggets) are the only coaches not to be fired since 20

a few years is roughly the average tenure of a coach

i don't know how much if at all it's changed over history

maybe there won't be coaches at all one day

nba is just still in the coaches era

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Pop, Spo, and Kerr easily the best 3 coaches in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by post View Post
    a few years is roughly the average tenure of a coach

i don't know how much if at all it's changed over history

maybe there won't be coaches at all one day

nba is just still in the coaches era

I’d have to look more to know the average historically but just looking at 30 years ago it was 11 coaches with more than 3 years with a team.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Pop, Spo, and Kerr easily the best 3 coaches in the league.

Pop at this point I think just wants to teach young people how to play the game. I hope he gets Wemby.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I’d have to look more to know the average historically but just looking at 30 years ago it was 11 coaches with more than 3 years with a team.
    maybe the average stays similar with ups and downs but the league is currently in a firing frenzy

saw a comment lillard made where he seems to disagree with budenholzer's termination

Good High School Starter Crimsonrain777's Avatar

Coach' are around for the few plays where you need player's to listen to the play being called. And you want a coach that a player is going to trust no matter how mad and no matter how much they might not want to. You don't get that if the coach doesnt have the guaranteed backing from the organization the way Miami does with Spo or the way the Spurs do with Pop. It's harder to bring in top-tier talent but on the flip-side. Teams constructed like this are able to create a consistent identity that all of the players eventually buy into.

With most team's that's normally not the case because superstar or star player's come before their coach. Meaning the coach is more often than not just a figurehead

Good High School Starter

Think it’s more teams not valuing a coaches contribution to success like they used to or GMs just being quick to shift blame to someone else for poorly built teams living off lucky acquisitions of stars to carry them to better records than they deserve?
    Both.

However, you virtually always need stars to win so the coaches have only ever meant so much. They can be what pushes you over the top but plenty of mid to bad coaches have been carried to rings or at least the Finals. The same can't be said about the most important players on teams.

Roster construction matters the most and therefore owners/GMs are far more important than coaches. GMs don't fire themselves and they can't fire the owners, so they fire the coaches in an ever increasing on demand world.

kerr echoed lillard and said he finds the axings of championship coaches disturbing

maybe they are getting the guillotine ready for him next

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Was Steven's fired? Technically he was promoted he runs the team now and picked the last two coaches.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    Both.

However, you virtually always need stars to win so the coaches have only ever meant so much. They can be what pushes you over the top but plenty of mid to bad coaches have been carried to rings or at least the Finals. The same can't be said about the most important players on teams.

Roster construction matters the most and therefore owners/GMs are far more important than coaches. GMs don't fire themselves and they can't fire the owners, so they fire the coaches in an ever increasing on demand world.
    COTM got the guy that hired him fired in Utah. The front office and coach have to be on the same page. Having 6 rookies for a coach that wouldn't play them even if they could have helped makes no sense. He now is supposed to have a lot more power in Atlanta on personnel moves

Probably not a coincidence that they all coach relatively low ego superstars or bums that dont have the clout to get them canned
    Players run the league and get the coaches they want