Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: The greatest point guard of all time.

If you consider Steph the GOAT PG over Magic, u GOTTA PREPARED to put Steph in the top 5 GOAT PERIOD! For me, the top 5 GOAT are MJ, Bron, Cap, Magic, and Bill Russ! I'm not saying Steph can't get there someday. BUT as of now, NO! I do think Steph is top 10 GOAT. And the 2nd GOAT PG.

The fact a 6'3 PG is in the top 10 GOAT is SAYING A LOT at this point! Probably the last time a player under 6'4 was in the top 10 GOAT was way back in the day during the early stages of the NBA. When Cousy was doing his thing back then. West is 6'4 and Oscar 6'5. As great as Zeke was he was never considered top 10 GOAT.

As REVOLUTIONARY as Steph is, Magic is ever MORE REVOLUTIONARY!! For all intents and purposes, Magic is the GODFATHER of positionless basketball! Back in the 70's he was LEGIT playing all five positions on the court. In the modern era (after Oscar) he was THE GUY to put the triple double on the map. When term WAS COINED once Magic was putting up those crazy numbers.

When Oscar was doing it, the term triple double wasn't coined yet. And from there, Magic is the best floor general of all time! Best passer of all time who was dropping dimes like a Globetrotter out there at 6'9. And he still had alpha dog credibility scoring the rock. And Magic left MANY PRIME YEARS on the table when he retired in 1991. He was the 2nd best player in the league when he retired at that time. I'm not saying Steph can't pass Magic. But he has some more work to do!

Steph is FOR SURE a PG! He's just a score first PG. He still bring up the rock most times after makes. He starts the offense. In the halfcourt, Draymond becomes the primary facilitator. But still guards the other teams PG often. And his passing ability is CRAZY underrated. Before Kerr got there, Steph was dropping 8 dimes a night. And playing like many of the score first PG's in the league.

Kerr in the halfcourt OPENED up their offense big time by letting Steph play like Ray Allen or Reggie often in the halfcourt. When u have the best shooter of all time who thinks SCORE FIRST anyway, it makes total sense. Most of the top PG's in the league are score first anyway. They fulfill many of the duties old school PG's did. Just do it from a score first mentality! In other offenses (like the Dantoni Houston days), Steph would be averaging 30+ PPG and 9-10 dimes a night EASY!
    Last edited by bizil; 05-01-2023 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil View Post
    If you consider Steph the GOAT PG over Magic, u GOTTA PREPARED to put Steph in the top 5 GOAT PERIOD! For me, the top 5 GOAT are MJ, Bron, Cap, Magic, and Bill Russ! I'm not saying Steph can't get there someday. BUT as of now, NO! I do think Steph is top 10 GOAT. And the 2nd GOAT PG.

The fact a 6'3 PG is in the top 10 GOAT is SAYING A LOT at this point! Probably the last time a player under 6'4 was in the top 10 GOAT was way back in the day during the early stages of the NBA. When Cousy was doing his thing back then. West is 6'4 and Oscar 6'5. As great as Zeke was he was never considered top 10 GOAT.

As REVOLUTIONARY as Steph is, Magic is ever MORE REVOLUTIONARY!! For all intents and purposes, Magic is the GODFATHER of positionless basketball! Back in the 70's he was LEGIT playing all five positions on the court. In the modern era (after Oscar) he was THE GUY to put the triple double on the map. When term WAS COINED once Magic was putting up those crazy numbers.

When Oscar was doing it, the term triple double wasn't coined yet. And from there, Magic is the best floor general of all time! Best passer of all time who was dropping dimes like a Globetrotter out there at 6'9. And he still had alpha dog credibility scoring the rock. And Magic left MANY PRIME YEARS on the table when he retired in 1991. He was the 2nd best player in the league when he retired at that time. I'm not saying Steph can't pass Magic. But he has some more work to do!
    If the Warriors somehow pull it off this year and Steph gets another FMVP, it gets real interesting. Recency bias may end up pushing Steph to the fore as the generation who watched and appreciated Magic ages out. And you're going to get the 'based on the modern game, Steph is more valuable' argument start picking up steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    If the Warriors somehow pull it off this year and Steph gets another FMVP, it gets real interesting. Recency bias may end up pushing Steph to the fore as the generation who watched and appreciated Magic ages out. And you're going to get the 'based on the modern game, Steph is more valuable' argument start picking up steam.
    Absolutely! Steph's game is built to last. So it wouldn't surprise me at all. IF anything if I want a floor general PG, give me Magic. If I want a score first PG give me Steph. With the PG spot becoming score first pretty much, we aren't gonna see PG's like Magic and Isiah much anymore. Pass first PG's who can dominate games scoring. The model Steph has put on the map is gonna be what see going forward. And DUE to the success he and GSW have had, then it makes sense to me!

Quote Originally Posted by bizil View Post
    Absolutely! Steph's game is built to last. So it wouldn't surprise me at all. IF anything if I want a floor general PG, give me Magic. If I want a score first PG give me Steph. With the PG spot becoming score first pretty much, we aren't gonna see PG's like Magic and Isiah much anymore. Pass first PG's who can dominate games scoring. The model Steph has put on the map is gonna be what see going forward. And DUE to the success he and GSW have had, then it makes sense to me!
    Personally I hate 'rankings' because there's way too much subjectivity in ranking someone like 6th and another person 9th or whatever. Like what's the differences? From a tiered perspective, IF he leads the Warriors to a title I feel like his 'greatness' and legacy should at the very least be in the Magic/Bird range. Certainly he's pioneered a completely different style of basketball that the next generation will emulate, for better or worse ( meaning whether one considers the proliferation of the 3point shot to have ruined basketball or just evolved it, but that's of course open to a thousand opinions).

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Magic Johnson.

You can end this thread now.

Also, is Carbine Doug Gottlieb lol?
    Last edited by Phoenix; 05-01-2023 at 05:37 PM.

Why don't we just say Steph is the best since Magic? I think most of us can agree with that.

College superstar

Draymond Green is essentially the point (forward) for GSW. It's almost like a 90's Bulls situation. I know that Curry is technically listed as the team's pg,, and I am not a b-ball purist by any stretch, but I have reservations calling someone the greatest pg whose literally most known for his ability to shoot.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip View Post
    Draymond Green is essentially the point (forward) for GSW. It's almost like a 90's Bulls situation. I know that Curry is technically listed as the team's pg,, and I am not a b-ball purist by any stretch, but I have reservations calling someone the greatest pg whose literally most known for his ability to shoot.

Meanwhile the near undisputed best shooting guard is widely known by young fans as someone who couldn’t shoot very well. It isn’t true but it’s the criticism that seems to most stick in the eyes of fans going forward.

A point guard that is a great shooter is still a point guard. Only on ISH would folks say that. Is a QB who runs a lot still a QB or are they now a running back?

Nate Thurmond was known for his defense. Bob McAdoo for his offenses. Both are still centers right?

I don't think Curry is the PG even though I do think he is the engine that makes them go (duh). I'm impressed by his gravity, pretty sure everyone he plays with is better for it.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    A point guard that is a great shooter is still a point guard. Only on ISH would folks say that. Is a QB who runs a lot still a QB or are they now a running back?

Nate Thurmond was known for his defense. Bob McAdoo for his offenses. Both are still centers right?
    I think the issue is Draymond is the point forward and Steph and Klay are the SG's. Personally I can't rank him ahead of Oscar, Oscar was a one man team and Curry has had a lot of help without the accomplishments and benchmarks that a top ten player in this era needs to have.

For me he's #3 all-time at his position and #15 all-time amongst players. I think he's going to move past Hakeem and Moses and settle in behind Jerry West and Tim Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD View Post
    And if Magic got to play with KD, Klay, Draymond, Iggy, Wiggins...?
    I hope you're not trying to make an argument that Steph has had better help throughout his career than Magic.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post

Is Curry a point guard that is a great shooter, or is he a great (GOAT) shooter who is listed as a point guard because somebody has to be listed as that on the roster?