Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: The greatest point guard of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    He's not a point guard. That's not his play style.

If you do consider him a point guard, then you must consider LeBron a point guard as well which would eliminate Curry from best point guard ever considering LeBron is at worst #2 all time overall as a player behind MJ.
    If you rounded up all the top 10 point guards all-time, none of their playstyles are alike. If you showed footage to someone new to basketball of Bob Cousy and Tim Hardaway, that person would think they played different positions as well. As far as the passage of time and evolution of the PG position, Curry is as far removed from Hardaway as Tim was from Cousy.

Steph is a PG with otherworldly scoring/shooting skills. You don't take what he does and have him play like John Stockton. He's inverted the idea of a PG 'making others better' through his off-ball movement and gravity.

Facts Are Misleading

That's all fine and dandy, but then you must consider LeBron a point guard. He was the high volume play maker for every year on any team he has ever played for.

Just watching him play, he's the PG. If you think Mario Chalmers was the PG because he was listed as it we just aren't going to agree on this.

I've been hearing Lebron is the modern day Magic with Uber athletic ability since the beginning of his career. He'sba modern PG as much as Steph is.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballcat View Post
    Better than Magic?
    what are you facepalming at?

That's all fine and dandy, but then you must consider LeBron a point guard. He was the high volume play maker for every year on any team he has ever played for.

Just watching him play, he's the PG. If you think Mario Chalmers was the PG because he was listed as it we just aren't going to agree on this.

I've been hearing Lebron is the modern day Magic with Uber athletic ability since the beginning of his career. He'sba modern PG as much as Steph is.
    If you want to name Lebron the best pg that’s fine…They are both over magic then… so you just did the opposite of what you wanted and moved magic even farther down the list to #3 ….and dingo was his name o

What's happened is long ago we set up 'traditional' roles for each position and mold-breakers obscure the conversation as the game evolves, rules change, and skills end up in positions and player types they didn't 30 years ago. Hell we may as well consider Giannis a point guard given his assist numbers and how much he handles the ball? What about Draymond leading the Warriors in assists every year? Or Joker dropping 10 dimes a game this year? it's quite the rabbit hole we're digging.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out View Post
    If you want to name Lebron the best pg that’s fine…They are both over magic then… so you just did the opposite of what you wanted and moved magic even farther down the list to #3 ….and dingo was his name o

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    What's happened is long ago we set up 'traditional' roles for each position and mold-breakers obscure the conversation as the game evolves, rules change, and skills end up in positions and player types they didn't 30 years ago. Hell we may as well consider Giannis a point guard given his assist numbers and how much he handles the ball? What about Draymond leading the Warriors in assists every year? Or Joker dropping 10 dimes a game this year? it's quite the rabbit hole we're digging.
    I agree with this. You never know what you are gonna get with Carbine, could be something insightful or some off the wall observation.

Facts Are Misleading

It's hard to say that.

To properly speak on Magic you'd have to be 55+ years old right now to have lived through that and understood basketball enough to appreciate what you were watching.

But what I do know is how generally players are ranked Magic has more:

MVPs
    Finals MVPw
    Championships
    All NBA first teams

Doing all that before his retirement at 31.

Magic was the best PG of his time. Lebron the best of his time.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Magic Johnson.

It's hard to say that.

To properly speak on Magic you'd have to be 55+ years old right now to have lived through that and understood basketball enough to appreciate what you were watching.

But what I do know is how generally players are ranked Magic has more:

MVPs
    Finals MVPw
    Championships
    All NBA first teams

Doing all that before his retirement at 31.

Magic was the best PG of his time. Lebron the best of his time.
    But others will say that magic used to play on stacked teams... Oh well. The same thing could be said about chef.

Facts Are Misleading

My only point is, traditional point guards (Magic, Stockton, Thomas, Nash, Kidd, CP3, etc) who bring the ball up and look for shot creation over shot making.... Steph does not fall under this category.

So if you want to consider Steph a PG in this positionless era or basketball (fine by me) than so is Lebron in which case he is not the best PG ever.

What's the title of this thread? Claiming he's the best PG ever. He's not. The end.

Facts Are Misleading

My only point is, traditional point guards (Magic, Stockton, Thomas, Nash, Kidd, CP3, etc) who bring the ball up and look for shot creation over shot making.... Steph does not fall under this category.

So if you want to consider Steph a PG in this positionless era or basketball (fine by me) than so is Lebron in which case he is not the best PG ever.

What's the title of this thread? Claiming he's the best PG ever. He's not. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    I agree with this. You never know what you are gonna get with Carbine, could be something insightful or some off the wall observation.
    Lol yeah, I do understand his underlying point though. It's just becoming harder and harder to pigeon-hole 'how a position should be played' the further along we go. I mean 10-15 years ago I recall saying at some point we're going to see a 7 footer shoot as well as any perimeter player ever (enter KD). The next evolution will be the 7'2 guy who shoots and dribbles like Steph but is listed at center. What are we calling him lol?

Magic easy