Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Unhappy Tried telling yall Mitchell is a stat stuffer, not a floor general. Brunson >>

But hey, Mitchell has "first option stats," and that always seems to be enough to convince people a guy is a 'superstar.' Plenty of people still think guys like Arneas and Melo were "great players" because numbers. People think Westbrook is a top 50 player all time because triple doubles

People said "Have you seen Mitchell's playoff stats!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?"

And I says to em, BEFORE this season even started, I says, "well, when I've watched him, and I used my brain to analyze what I'm seeing, I see a guy who scores buckets without really lifting the offense. He has an explosive iso game, but he doesnt have a great ball IQ. He's actually one of the rare guys who has an otherwise good, hard working attitude but is just legitimately not very savvy with the ball beyond iso play. He's not gonna win you playoff series with his style of play."

I tried to tell yall. But you insisted.

"DONOVAN MITCHELL!!!!! THIS IS GONNA BE HUGE!!!!! CLEVELAND IS LOADED NOW!!!!!!!"

There's levels to this stuff fellas.

Brunson isnt gonna put up the crazy highlights and big numbers in the regular season but if you actually have an ability to understand things you watch, you can see he's the more valuable guy.

But next season, sure as day, people are still gonna "rank" Mitchell as the better player throughout the course of the regular season because optically he does cooler things.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 04-23-2023 at 03:45 PM.

Default Re: Tried telling yall Mitchell is a stat stuffer, not a floor general. Brunson >>

Nobody has ever accused Mitchell of being a "floor general." That's a very specific thing reserved for guys like CP0, Conley, etc IMO.

Anyway, Mitchell and Brunson are both great players. Yes, Brunson is a little more "in control" with his dominance but that's a far cry from him being a floor general. I don't think the difference between the two is vast enough to warrant a thread.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Tried telling yall Mitchell is a stat stuffer, not a floor general. Brunson >>

not to mention he doesn't play D or pass the ball

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    not to mention he doesn't play D or pass the ball
    Meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Meltdown.
    are you a bot? It's either meltdown or why not more Jazz game threads or why isn't Gobert scoring more

Why is 2d winless in that series against denver?

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Why is 2d winless in that series against denver?
    You tell me? I guess Gobert isn't scoring enough? Or maybe something else

2022-23 MIN Post 3 35:00 6.0 14.7 40.9 1.7 5.3 31.3 2.3 3.0 77.8 1.0 8.7 9.7 1.7 4.3 0.3 0.7 16.0

Quote Originally Posted by Proctor View Post
    Nobody has ever accused Mitchell of being a "floor general." That's a very specific thing reserved for guys like CP0, Conley, etc IMO.

Anyway, Mitchell and Brunson are both great players. Yes, Brunson is a little more "in control" with his dominance but that's a far cry from him being a floor general. I don't think the difference between the two is vast enough to warrant a thread.

So what did people think he was a big deal for? The hype when he got traded to Cleveland made no sense if you actually watched him play playoff basketball before.

Is the Cleveland cast significantly better than a group of Conley, Toody, Bogdanovich, Clarkson, Ingles, Royce ONeal, etc?

Mitchell is a regular season guy. Teams dont spend days game planning against every iso player they face in the regular season. They pretty much show up to each game and run up and down and see who wins. It favors shot-spamming volume scorers. But it's not playoff basketball. And teams built around guys like that dont win in the playoffs.

I explained Mitchell's limitations to people when the trade was made, but hardly anybody could see beyond "this dude scorers p0ints!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    So what did people think he was a big deal for? The hype when he got traded to Cleveland made no sense if you actually watched him play playoff basketball before.

Is the Cleveland cast significantly better than a group of Conley, Toody, Bogdanovich, Clarkson, Ingles, Royce ONeal, etc?

Mitchell is a regular season guy. Teams dont spend days game planning against every iso player they face in the regular season. They pretty much show up to each game and run up and down and see who wins. It favors shot-spamming volume scorers. But it's not playoff basketball. And teams built around guys like that dont win in the playoffs.

I explained Mitchell's limitations to people when the trade was made, but hardly anybody could see beyond "this dude scorers p0ints!!!"
    it's certainly a better team and I would hope their coach actually makes playoff adjustments unlike COTM

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    You tell me? I guess Gobert isn't scoring enough? Or maybe something else

2022-23 MIN Post 3 35:00 6.0 14.7 40.9 1.7 5.3 31.3 2.3 3.0 77.8 1.0 8.7 9.7 1.7 4.3 0.3 0.7 16.0
    But trailing 3-0 in the first round didn't happen to the wolves last year. Geez, i wonder what changed.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Nothing like the playoffs for a “See? This guy isn’t even a great player” overreaction to something nobody is even gonna remember for a player 50/50 to go to the hall of fame. Win or lose this random 4/5 matchup nobody is gonna care any more than you care what Chris Mullin did vs the Sonics in 92. Frankly the numbers and play style do a lot more for legacy than things like this which are usually never even mentioned again. All the people you’re talking about are “just” second tier hall of fame instead of that top group of eternal legends. It’s not a bad place to be. It’s certainly well into the “great” category. Not like there is some group of madmen trying to tell you Mitchell is top 5 to justify pushback.

Hes a great combo guard. Something along the lines of maybe Vince Carter or…whoever. He’s a “If healthy” hall of famer. That doesn’t require being top 3.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Y'all really waited for Mitchell to have a bad game to talk shit

Next thing y'all gonna say is that Davion Mitchell >>> Donovan Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Nothing like the playoffs for a “See? This guy isn’t even a great player” overreaction to something nobody is even gonna remember for a player 50/50 to go to the hall of fame. Win or lose this random 4/5 matchup nobody is gonna care any more than you care what Chris Mullin did vs the Sonics in 92. Frankly the numbers and play style do a lot more for legacy than things like this which are usually never even mentioned again. All the people you’re talking about are “just” second tier hall of fame instead of that top group of eternal legends. It’s not a bad place to be. It’s certainly well into the “great” category.

I guess I just find it interesting how perspectives can vary so much on something.

If you told people you had a poor man’s Kobe available to their team, most people would think thats a great opportunity and would love to have a poor man’s Kobe. Whereas I would be mildly hesitant to commit to building around the REAL Kobe, certainly wouldnt see any reason to prize a poor man’s version.

Just fascinating how minds work differently.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 04-23-2023 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    Y'all really waited for Mitchell to have a bad game to talk shit

When the trade was made this is EXACTLY what I said:

“I expect this to give them a nice regular season boost, but Im doubtful a Mitchell and Garland backcourt is gonna have enough IQ to move the needle in the playoffs.”

And here they are, down 3-1 to a mediocre Knicks team.

People just wanted to see what they wanted to see.