Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Klay Thompson vs. Carmelo Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    This is a contradictory statement with all due respect. By definition the player you would rather have on your team is the better player. You can argue Melo is more talented, but talent alone doesn't make you better.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you, just pointing that out. If that's how you really feel, then Klay is better.
    yep a big difference between more talent and better player. Would have never wanted Carmelo on my team. Every team would want Klay

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Syracuse Melo was legit.

He was a superstar talent. Playing on the Nuggets and Knicks his whole prime is a lot harder than playing with a top 10-15 GOAT talent like Curry and the warriors elite system.

The Nuggets were nice when they got Billups... but is Billups and Jr Smith and some nice role players enough to beat teams with Kobe, Pau, and Odom? Not really. And then the Knicks to beat Lebron and Wade and Bosh?

Melo is much more deadly as an accessory sniper. And if you look at Klays Finals averages or even playoff averages Melo was capable of so much more.

We saw Melo totally shine in international ball because of his elite jumper. He's almost like a super Klay tbh.

Another thing people aren't looking at is he was way more athletic than Klay. Someone put out a stat Melo was actually taking as many dunks in his prime as Kobe or Vince Carter or Tmac. Klay? Not even close.

You put Klay in those situations Syracuse, Denver or Dolan Knicks he ain't winning shit and most likely producing worse results on all fronts.

Arrow Re: Klay Thompson vs. Carmelo Anthony

I was never a fan of 1st option Melo, but watching that Syracuse video or his Denver highlights the guy was a a great athlete. Not just shooting, but he was fast and agile and springy in a way Klay never was. I tend to think of Melo as Knicks or old Melo where he moved way more sluggish and was kinda stiff. The younger version had a spring in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Title. Saw this on the NBA subreddit; want to see ISH's opinions.

It's an interesting comparison. One guy was the primary option most of his career; another was the second and third option on a dynasty. It depends on what the question is asking.

- Who's higher up on the all-time rankings?

- Who's better as a first option?

- Who's better as a supporting act to a first option?

I suppose those should be the parameters of this thread.

Think about answering those questions. You should consider their respective skill sets, accomplishments, and accolades. How good would Klay be as a primary option? How good would Carmelo be in a sidekick role to a greater player? Whose resume is more valuable all things considered?

Carmelo
    Carmelo
    Carmelo

easy... all carmelo needed was a good PG he trusted

I don't quite believe Klay can create his own shots. I do believe a lot of his success comes from benefiting from Curry and his off-ball skills and the system -- all pretty much GSW bball.

Klay would put up good numbers as a first, but would probably never win anything Ex. Michael Redd

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    I was never a fan of 1st option Melo, but watching that Syracuse video or his Denver highlights the guy was a a great athlete. Not just shooting, but he was fast and agile and springy in a way Klay never was. I tend to think of Melo as Knicks or old Melo where he moved way more sluggish and was kinda stiff. The younger version had a spring in him.
    Melo had an amazing unique body. But he was much dumber and less serious in Denver. He actively made his teammates worse on both ends.

He peaked in 13 or 14.

Melo is a victim of bad circumstance. You wanna talk about a guy that would get your 30 every year nowadays... I'm sorry but Klay is def a good fit on his team, but if you are talking about picking a guy to start a team, if you pick Klay you are just hating. MELO? haha, dudes forgot what he was like when he actually played well.

Edit: and yea no matter what anyone says Melo winning in college does have meaning esp being a FR.

-Smak

Kelly oubre jr. > klay thompson

- Andrew MacFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    Melo is a victim of bad circumstance. You wanna talk about a guy that would get your 30 every year nowadays... I'm sorry but Klay is def a good fit on his team, but if you are talking about picking a guy to start a team, if you pick Klay you are just hating. MELO? haha, dudes forgot what he was like when he actually played well.

Edit: and yea no matter what anyone says Melo winning in college does have meaning esp being a FR.

-Smak
    Freshman were generally the best players in the one and done era. That will be changing somewhat with the NIL. Carmelo playing well isn't a guy I want on my team. Every team would want Klay

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Freshman were generally the best players in the one and done era. That will be changing somewhat with the NIL. Carmelo playing well isn't a guy I want on my team. Every team would want Klay
    It's very rare for a freshman one and done to succeed like Melo did. I think someone else did it recently (with a stacked team,) but while they are 'the best players,' they generally aren't ready to go deep in the tourney and win. Look at guys like KD for instance. They get it in, but they don't W. Crazy young team to win with, too.

It's not fair to say every team would want Klay. It's true, but that's because that's the type of player he is. He's basically a star role player haha. It's kind of a theoretical question, do you want the guy who can play second or third option role REALLY WELL + play D or do you want the superstar who can't fit on every team.

In a lot of cases, I think Melo would fit, though. He definitely is a ball stopper, but if he plays with the right guys, it's not an issue. He doesn't stand there and dribble the ball, he gets to his spots and takes the shot. A team of good players would be getting him the ball when necessary and going elsewhere when not.

Melo is also no joke on the boards and he would fit as a 4 on some teams. He's not a great defender, though. Melo is highly underrated and I think he gets a cancer tag when he just had some tough luck with squads.

If you had a coach who was smart enough to find a way to incorporate Melo, I think he would fit on most teams. Most of the teams he wouldn't fit on would be teams with guys who liked to dribble the ball 10 times every possession. He'd def fit on GSW. If you took out Klay and replaced him with an average player and put Melo at the 3 or 4, that would still be a championship team.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Been watching college basketball since the early 2000s when Jameer Nelson and Delonte West went 30-0 or whatever.

Melo was the most talent having looking young player ive ever seen. I know lebron and Kobe skipped college but Melo looked even better than Wade in college. He was a super elite talent. I don't think his true talent showed itself due to circumstance in the NBA entertainment league.

Been watching college basketball since the early 2000s when Jameer Nelson and Delonte West went 30-0 or whatever.

Melo was the most talent having looking young player ive ever seen. I know lebron and Kobe skipped college but Melo looked even better than Wade in college. He was a super elite talent. I don't think his true talent showed itself due to circumstance in the NBA entertainment league.
    KD as a 1st year player had that 'it factor,' and dude couldn't even hit 185 on bench. His tx team wasn't good enough, but I have no doubt if they had a lil more, he could have been a MOP and champ in NCAA, too.

Melo is a dog though. Like I said dudes have a large amount of hatred for Melo and it's easy because he has failed a lot. Still, he did it. I still remember when he shit on Bron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_MY0qUt5CM

That's Melo. Great D. No way anyone is contesting that shot. Pure confidence, all net.

Edit: infact one could say Melo has a 90s skillset and maybe the game passed him up. He hit 3s, too, but the whole iso 17 footer game was his stuff. Barely even had to dribble, and these days that's looked at as really bad ball. In the clutch tho it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

-Smak

In a lot of cases, I think Melo would fit, though. He definitely is a ball stopper, but if he plays with the right guys, it's not an issue. He doesn't stand there and dribble the ball, he gets to his spots and takes the shot. A team of good players would be getting him the ball when necessary and going elsewhere when not.
    Bingo. That's why he dominated FIBA.

You don't want Melo being your top guy on mediocre teams tasked with doing everything.

Put him on a team like the Warriors where iggy dray and bogut and all the other guys cover defense and culture forces you to play it.... watch Syracuse Melo... he was skying for chase down blocks.

Never would have thought it, but in the right system young Melo had elite defensive potential. Which is why it's such a shame Detroit didn't get him. Legacy would've been so different. Butterfly effect super potent.

Bingo. That's why he dominated FIBA.

You don't want Melo being your top guy on mediocre teams tasked with doing everything.

Put him on a team like the Warriors where iggy dray and bogut and all the other guys cover defense and culture forces you to play it.... watch Syracuse Melo... he was skying for chase down blocks.

Never would have thought it, but in the right system young Melo had elite defensive potential. Which is why it's such a shame Detroit didn't get him. Legacy would've been so different. Butterfly effect super potent.
    Had Detroit picked him up, we would talking completely differently by now. It's crazy what a huge **** up that was.

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    Carmelo
    Carmelo
    Carmelo

easy... all carmelo needed was a good PG he trusted

I don't quite believe Klay can create his own shots. I do believe a lot of his success comes from benefiting from Curry and his off-ball skills and the system -- all pretty much GSW bball.

Klay would put up good numbers as a first, but would probably never win anything Ex. Michael Redd
    Check these numbers out: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...59-33-TS/page2

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    It's very rare for a freshman one and done to succeed like Melo did. I think someone else did it recently (with a stacked team,) but while they are 'the best players,' they generally aren't ready to go deep in the tourney and win. Look at guys like KD for instance. They get it in, but they don't W. Crazy young team to win with, too.

It's not fair to say every team would want Klay. It's true, but that's because that's the type of player he is. He's basically a star role player haha. It's kind of a theoretical question, do you want the guy who can play second or third option role REALLY WELL + play D or do you want the superstar who can't fit on every team.

Melo is also no joke on the boards and he would fit as a 4 on some teams. He's not a great defender, though. Melo is highly underrated and I think he gets a cancer tag when he just had some tough luck with squads.

If you had a coach who was smart enough to find a way to incorporate Melo, I think he would fit on most teams. Most of the teams he wouldn't fit on would be teams with guys who liked to dribble the ball 10 times every possession. He'd def fit on GSW. If you took out Klay and replaced him with an average player and put Melo at the 3 or 4, that would still be a championship team.

-Smak
    I want the guy that is about winning period. Carmelo was all about Carmelo. Money and empty stats. Klay is willing to play the 4 if it's best for the team while Carmelo is losing playoff series because he's a 'starter only'! His tough luck with the squad in NY was because he couldn't wait to be a free agent and they had to give up a lot of talent to get him