Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Who are the top 10 players in the nba (no order so no agenda is needed)

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Neither EPM or RAPTOR support Brown being a much better defender.
    I'm an eye test guy. I don't know what math formula goes into things like EPM and RAPTOR. Most of the people that talk about them don't know what they're based on either. I took one look at the math behind PER and I was done with advanced statistics.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Who are the top 10 players in the nba (no order so no agenda is needed)

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Jaylen Brown is having a better season than Lebron James. Carry on.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Giannis
    Jokic
    Embiid
    LeBron
    KD
    Luka
    Kawhi
    AD
    Butler
    Curry

I'm an eye test guy. I don't know what math formula goes into things like EPM and RAPTOR. Most of the people that talk about them don't know what they're based on either. I took one look at the math behind PER and I was done with advanced statistics.
    EPM is based lineup data not box score stats like PER. It matches my eye test for the most part too. www.dunksandthrees.com/epm see for yourself for the most part it’s incredibly accurate with only a few outliers.

Jaylen Brown is having a better season than Lebron James. Carry on.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Suns better without Paul on the floor as well. Might be time to stop including him on these lists. Had a nice run

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    Giannis
    Jokic
    Embiid
    LeBron
    KD
    Luka
    Kawhi
    AD
    Butler
    Curry
    where's Mitchell?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    EPM is based lineup data not box score stats like PER. It matches my eye test for the most part too. www.dunksandthrees.com/epm see for yourself for the most part it’s incredibly accurate with only a few outliers.
    That's nice but I still have no idea how they come up with the number.

That's nice but I still have no idea how they come up with the number.
    neither does he

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    where's Mitchell?
    Top 15

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    Top 15
    top 15 on the Cavs anyway.

Suns better without Paul on the floor as well. Might be time to stop including him on these lists. Had a nice run
    You're an idiot you're using a stat that you don't have a half clue what it actually means

By the end of the season Brown silk most likely have played in over 20 more games and is a much better defender.
    He might be a better defender, but he's a significantly worse offensive player and the difference in defense doesn't make up for it. LeBron has him beat at literally almost everything. Basic and advanced stats.

LeBron - 29.5 PPG 8.1 RPG 6.9 APG 1.3 SPG 1.1 BPG on 58.3% TS%

Jaylen - 26.7 PPG 6.9 RPG 3.4 APG 1.1 SPG 0.4 BPG on 58.6% TS%

Basic stats, the only thing Brown has on LeBron is a 0.3% advantage in efficiency.

Advanced Stats

LeBron - 3.0 OWS 2.1 DWS 5.0 WS .143 WS/48 5.6 OBPM 0.7 DBPM 6.3 BPM 3.5 VORP +7.5 On/Off 111 ORtg 112 DRtg

Jaylen - 1.9 OWS 3.1 DWS 4.9 WS .106 WS/48 1.8 OBPM -0.2 DBPM 1.6 BPM 2.0 VORP -3.0 On/Off 115 ORtg 113 DRtg

Again, the only thing that Brown has over LeBron is DWS.

As for RPM, LeBron is 4th in the league at 7.68. Brown is 44th with 3.97.

LeBron - 4.75 ORPM 2.94 DRPM 7.68 RPM with 13.89 wins

Brown - 2.11 ORPM 1.86 DRPM 3.97 RPM with 11.86 wins

Looking at NBA's tracking stats, Jaylen Brown has been defending 12.6 shots a game and players are scoring at 47.3%, compared to 47.7% on all other defenders, making him a net positive by 0.4%.

LeBron has been defending 11.9 shots a game and players shoot 46.8% on those shots, compared to 48.7 on all other defenders, making him a net positive by 1.9%. Lets also not forget that Brown plays with significantly better defensive help.

Jaylen Brown is not a better player than LeBron. In the 50 or so games LeBron played this season, he's quite easily been a top 10 player. Jaylen Brown? Nope. Stop it.

actually being on the court should matter
    Bojan and Donovan played more games than Gobert last season. I'm assuming you have them ahead of him? How about in 2018 when Donovan played 81 games and Gobert played 56?
    Last edited by aj1987; 03-26-2023 at 12:54 PM.

NBA Superstar

where's Mitchell?
    He’s probably in that 11-15 group. Or perhaps just outside of that.

You are completely ignoring the large number of games James had missed. The Lakers are basically trying to make the playoffs without him. I guarantee you don't know any of the math behind the advanced stats that you're quoting and if LA had JB instead of James they would be in 6th place or better.