Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2023 NFL Draft

Default Re: 2023 NFL Draft

Lot's of hybrid type players. Good Depth. Dan Quinn is back. Serious Doomsday Legion of Boom potential.

DE: D-LAW, D.Armstrong, Sam Williams, Fowler, Golston, Viliami Fehoko Jr. (Round 4, Pick #129)

DT: Mazi (Round 1, Pick #26), Gallimore, Johnathan Hankins, Osa Odighizuwa

LB: Micah, LVE, DeMarvion Overshown (Round 3, Pick #90), Jabril Cox

CB: Diggs, Stephon Gilmore, Jourdan Lewis, DaRon Bland, C.J. Goodwin, Kelvin Joseph, Nahshon Wright, Israel Mukuamu

S: Jayron Kearse, Malik Hooker, Donovan Wilson,

Dorance Armstrong & Sam Williams = underrated

The Run can be contained better with Mazi

pass rush gonna make the DBs better than they already are.

Just need the offense & Dak to play better in the playoffs.... which may be unlikely, but it's possible with the right coaching.

Defense wins championships, this one is Top-5 in the league in 2023 w/ Dan Quinn running things.

Road to the SB will probably be through Philly or SF in the NFC... but Dallas isn't far behind.

4 months til kickoff.

This is the first year in the past 2+ decades where I am starting to think that it might be the year where the boys finally put it all together again.

Despite losing a celebrity RB the offense is still as potent as ever...and the real reason the boys are a threat to win it all is the defense - they are elite and stacked at every defensive position. When your defense is elite you dont need much else... the next important variable would be a talented QB.

"Defense wins championships" and despite the fact that mike mccarthy is beyond useless I still think the boys are favorites to win this championship because of their defense. Its too bad that McCarthy is the coach instead of someone like McVey or McDaniel or McDermott...is it not a little absurd how many Irish head coaches there are in this league?
    Last edited by Nanners; 09-24-2023 at 07:41 AM.

Trevon Diggs was a big blow to their secondary.

I think San Francisco are the clear favorites so far. Assuming they can stay healthy.

Facts Are Misleading

I've felt for awhile now that the 'back 7" is more important than the front 7 these days. When you watch how sacks occur, it's very rare that it's an instant sack off instant pressure. It's usually because the QB has to hold the ball and that gives the pass rush enough time to collapse the pocket.

When the QB can receive the snap and fire to his first read all the time, the pass rush has no chance.

That's not to say the front isn't important. It clearly goes hand in hand with the pass coverage. I'd just put emphasis on building a complete back 7 if I were building a defense from scratch.

I think the loss of Diggs showed a little of why I think that. All it takes is one bad player in the back 7 to ruin an otherwise truly elite defense. It reminds me of when the Legion of Boom when they had an injury to a corner and had to bring in a "bad' player to replace and he got picked on over and over again. Even though the rest of the defense was all time elite, it didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    I've felt for awhile now that the 'back 7" is more important than the front 7 these days. When you watch how sacks occur, it's very rare that it's an instant sack off instant pressure. It's usually because the QB has to hold the ball and that gives the pass rush enough time to collapse the pocket.

When the QB can receive the snap and fire to his first read all the time, the pass rush has no chance.

That's not to say the front isn't important. It clearly goes hand in hand with the pass coverage. I'd just put emphasis on building a complete back 7 if I were building a defense from scratch.

I think the loss of Diggs showed a little of why I think that. All it takes is one bad player in the back 7 to ruin an otherwise truly elite defense. It reminds me of when the Legion of Boom when they had an injury to a corner and had to bring in a "bad' player to replace and he got picked on over and over again. Even though the rest of the defense was all time elite, it didn't matter.
    the legion of boom only ever had one "elite" corner (that corner was brandon browner... who became non-elite overnight thanks to the pro-offense rule changes after Peytons Broncos got steamrolled by the hawks in the superbowl - https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profoo...n-of-boom-rule).

Facts Are Misleading

Sherman is going to be considered for the HOF and probably gets in relatively easy within the first couple tries.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

No. It’s all about pass rush. Even the best corners can only cover a wide receiver for so long. The advantage the receiver gets over the DB grows as the play extends. Then we go into the run game and of course D line makes a much bigger difference. This is why very mobile qb’s can be somewhat cheat codes. When a QB is about to bounce out of the pocket and extend a play for a long period, someone is going to eventually be open almost everytime, and if no one is they can often jog to the sticks to pick up a first down. Then if you rush them too hard you open yourself out for draws up the middle. It can get very tough to defend.

Middle linebacker is more important then secondary a lot of the time

Great defenses aren’t built around lockdown corners. You need a good defense already and then that lockdown corner is icing on the cake to give you a best in the league/possible all time greats type of defense.
    Last edited by warriorfan; 10-14-2023 at 05:42 PM.

Facts Are Misleading

I didn't say lockdown corners. I said the back 7, which constitutes a lot more than just the two outside corners. How's that defense doing for Washington ther past numerous years with a great Dline? Our Dline in Indy is very good, defense is shit because our back 7 in coverage is not very good. Eagles pass rush was legendary last year and couldn't stop Mahommes because it was uncontested throw after uncontested throw in the Superbowl, highlighted by two uncontested touchdown passes.

There's examples both ways here. Everyone has different philosophies.

I wont argue against anybody who says pass rush is the most important aspect of a NFL defense (its true), but secondary is where a great defense can become a truly elite defense. Theres a reason why nobody remembers the names of the pass rushers on the seahawks legion of boom defense, while everyone remembers richard sherman, kam chancellor, earl thomas, and bobby wagner (honorable mention to brandon browner and KJ wright).

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I didn't say lockdown corners. I said the back 7, which constitutes a lot more than just the two outside corners. How's that defense doing for Washington ther past numerous years with a great Dline? Our Dline in Indy is very good, defense is shit because our back 7 in coverage is not very good. Eagles pass rush was legendary last year and couldn't stop Mahommes because it was uncontested throw after uncontested throw in the Superbowl, highlighted by two uncontested touchdown passes.

There's examples both ways here. Everyone has different philosophies.
    There is a point with how offenses have gotten better at getting the ball out extremely quickly. I will say using Patrick Mahomes as an example is not a good one because he’s an extreme outlier that can pretty much torch any defense constructed. Going back to getting it out early. Pass rush still comes into play. Even if the QB is getting it out really fast, if there is still consistent pressure it’s going to have a greater chance to force a mistake. A QB can theoretically dink and dunk and carve up a defense the entire game while getting it out ~2.5 seconds everytime, but it’s much easier said then done. And if he’s barely getting it out on time from pass rush even when getting rid of it quickly it’s going to make it more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    I wont argue against anybody who says pass rush is the most important aspect of a NFL defense (its true), but secondary is where a great defense can become a truly elite defense. Theres a reason why nobody remembers the names of the pass rushers on the seahawks legion of boom defense, while everyone remembers richard sherman, kam chancellor, earl thomas, and bobby wagner (honorable mention to brandon browner and KJ wright).
    Yes. There’s more then one way to skin a cat. That secondary was beyond loaded. They dominated everyone pretty much. The only guy who used to consistently get the best of them it seemed was Julio Jones. And Julio in his prime was as much of an unguardable freak as there ever was so there’s not much shame in that.

How I see defense in my opinion is three levels. 1st level D line, second level Linebackers, third level corners and safeties.

1st level initiates the play, they are then supported by the 2nd level linebackers, which in turn are supported by the 3rd level corners and safeties.

I would say generally speaking I would prioritize personnel strength in the same way, first to d line, second to linebackers, third to corners and safeties .

I’m not saying secondary isn’t important. I think ideally you have a good balance between all three while having at least one all star standout in each level playing a “center fielder” type role where they lead and help direct their cores.
    Last edited by warriorfan; 10-23-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gougou View Post
    Jalen Carter fall to the Eagles is actually insane. Some ppl actually rank him higher than Will Anderson earlier in the draft.
    Steal of the draft.

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    No. It’s all about pass rush. Even the best corners can only cover a wide receiver for so long. The advantage the receiver gets over the DB grows as the play extends. Then we go into the run game and of course D line makes a much bigger difference. This is why very mobile qb’s can be somewhat cheat codes. When a QB is about to bounce out of the pocket and extend a play for a long period, someone is going to eventually be open almost everytime, and if no one is they can often jog to the sticks to pick up a first down. Then if you rush them too hard you open yourself out for draws up the middle. It can get very tough to defend.

Middle linebacker is more important then secondary a lot of the time

Great defenses aren’t built around lockdown corners. You need a good defense already and then that lockdown corner is icing on the cake to give you a best in the league/possible all time greats type of defense.
    9ers fan yeah? MLB is the most important position when you have Warner and Willis out there for majority of the last 15 years for sure. Cant replace that.