Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Jokic going to 3 peat as MVP despite not making finals

So in the history of the game no one ever won there 3rd mvp without having made the NBA Finals. Jokic got MVP as a 6th seed, 3rd seed and maybe now as a #1 seed. However yet has made the NBA Finals. If this is the case then how were MVP's denied for guys like MJ, Shaq, Lebron, Duncan, Kobe, Kawhi.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Jokic going to 3 peat as MVP despite not making finals

Who's to say the Nuggets won't make the Finals this year? This is the weakest the West has been in years in terms of top tier teams.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhileonard2 View Post
    So in the history of the game no one ever won there 3rd mvp without having made the NBA Finals. Jokic got MVP as a 6th seed, 3rd seed and maybe now as a #1 seed. However yet has made the NBA Finals. If this is the case then how were MVP's denied for guys like MJ, Shaq, Lebron, Duncan, Kobe, Kawhi.

Well Lebron was hurt in 2011 by The Decision and the fact the team didnt gel right away. If not for that he wins 5 in a row basically.

As far as MJ, I think when you play on a dynasty team people at some point realize youre not the only great player on that squad. They probably felt it was too awkward to give Pippen an MVP outright, even tho it was well known he was Madonna’s MVP, so they gave it to guys like Barkley or Malone or whoever, to make the point that MJ was previously 1-9 before they added GOAT coach and GOAT sidekick.

As far as the other guys, I dunno.

The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Who's to say the Nuggets won't make the Finals this year? This is the weakest the West has been in years in terms of top tier teams.
    Embiid vs jokic sounds like a good finals to me. I’m rooting for him to make it there so big wiggle can “Hakeem” him on the biggest stage. So everyone can finally see it’s not close between the 2 of them and never really was….

Hakeem his ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Mask the Embiid View Post
    Embiid vs jokic sounds like a good finals to me. I’m rooting for him to make it there so big wiggle can “Hakeem” him on the biggest stage. So everyone can finally see it’s not close between the 2 of them and never really was….
    Embiid has to get out of the 2nd round first ;)

You would be very disappointed with the results of that series.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    You would be very disappointed with the results of that series.

Let’s be honest we all know who is hakeem in this gif and who is David robinson …. We know who is jumping early on pump fakes and who has guard like handles…. I think I’ll very much like the outcome. Do better troll

Let’s be honest we all know who is hakeem in this gif and who is jokic…. We know who is jumping on pump fakes and who has guard like handles…. Do better…..
    Jokic being better than Embiid makes you so ****ing mad

Quote Originally Posted by kawhileonard2 View Post
    Thank you, captain obvious.

Jokic being better than Embiid makes you so ****ing mad
    A man who doesn’t know how to play 1 side of the game could never be better…That’s like saying gobert is better than embiid….not possible

A man who doesn’t know how to play 1 side of the game could never be better…That’s like saying gobert is better than embiid….not possible
    All the available data suggests Jokic is a positive defender, you can whine about it all you like, won't change it

Jokic is also on a different planet offensively.

Hakeem his ass!

The little wiggle is not making the finals

He'd be the only fourth three-peat MVP after Wilt, Russell, and Bird. When you narrow the field like that, such anomalies shouldn't be as remarkable.

Also, as others stated, you can't write him off from making the Finals this year. He finally has a top-seeded team, his supporting cast might be healthy for the first postseason of his peak, and no playoffs-proven team out West is looking indomitable at the moment. It remains to be seen whether or not he'll get ousted in his conference this year—or if he'll even actually win his third-consecutive MVP.

Let's stick with the facts for now, which is that he's currently a back-to-back MVP, and certainly not the first who failed to make the Finals during his reign—Nash, LeBron, and Giannis from modern NBA history alone. And unlike most of that group, Jokic has consistently played up to par in the playoffs for his first-two MVP seasons.
    Last edited by Naero; 01-19-2023 at 01:05 AM.

All the available data suggests Jokic is a positive defender, you can whine about it all you like, won't change it

Jokic is also on a different planet offensively.
    Advance metrics lie…look at +/- it literally lies all the time