Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Victor Wembanyama has GOAT Potential

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    Yeah, he has GOAT potential, but so do/did a number of players. Lebron, Kobe, Giannis, Luka, KD all had GOAT potential, but none of them lived up to it. We'll see if Wembanyama does. It would be cool if he does.

If you have a career like some of those guys that wouldn’t be falling short of anything. The problem is people decide who the goat is, and then treat everybody else like they’re garbage in comparison, for reasons beyond their actual accomplishments. Nobody actually caught Russell’s accomplishments and maybe not kareems(6 titles, 6 mvps, 20 time all star, all time scorer, 15-17 time all nba and so on). But we decide Jordan is it, disregard the accomplishments of the others, then act like everyone has to chase Jordan who never really topped the accomplishments of the people we put him above.

And my point isn’t that Jordan can’t be the best because if I had to pick with a gun to my head, one name no explanations his would be it, but at a certain point it’s just splitting hairs among people who had careers so otherworldly you can’t genuinely expect it from anybody.

If this kid comes in and has 4-5 rings , 4-5 mvps, scores 37000, is 18 times all nba and all that….

Hes had a goat level career regardless of if you personally concede the title. At some point, we’re just arbitrarily assigning value to the accomplishments that back up our personal opinions. Nobody is ever going to catch Bill Russell’s accomplishments. We just don’t care, but we will keep acting like other people can’t catch Jordan without his accomplishments. It’s all just rigging the race to get the winner we want.

We don’t need to be out here downplaying the greatness of guys like Kobe/Lebron/next guy as if simply being better at basketball guarantees accomplishments on that tier.

Wemby could be better than Lebron or Duncan and not have close to that career because too much has to fall in line for such careers to happen.

All you can do is project the basketball playing ability. The rest isn’t something you can count on even if you have the game. And even if you have the game and the luck and circumstance to have a career like that most cling to their pick and deny you anyway. So then he “fell short” no matter what he did.

To me once you hit that top tier of guys there is no reason to say you failed to reach whatever status. Goat status to me is a level of basketball. Actually getting the #1 ranking takes a lot more than being good enough. But you can’t control that part.

Banned

Whether the dude lives up to it or not, time will tell, but the hype is definitely justified.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

And yes, Luka is still young, so his GOAT ship hasn't sailed yet, but I'd give lower odds of it than I would have a couple years ago.
    Correct. He hasn’t had a 2010 ECSF, 2010 free agency, 2011 Finals three peat moment of total failure yet.

Banned

Is lil mikey destined to be third all time just like his draft position?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKyrie View Post
    Correct. He hasn’t had a 2010 ECSF, 2010 free agency, 2011 Finals three peat moment of total failure yet.
    The fact that you continue to bring those up only show that you have some severe derangement syndrome about him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny32 View Post
    You can tell Bronies feel threatened. Lebron/Curry era is over.

NBA Superstar

I wouldn't call it falling short. It's a compliment. They showed the skill to potentially be the GOAT. 99% of players that have the skill will still never make it to the top.

And yes, Luka is still young, so his GOAT ship hasn't sailed yet, but I'd give lower odds of it than I would have a couple years ago.
    There's only one GOAT. Of everyone that has ever played basketball. And even that is arguable.

Outside of Luka you just mentioned a few of the greatest who have ever played. Just because they had unreasonable expectations put on them doesn't mean they didn't live up to something.

Help me out here to think of someone who proves me wrong, but the GOAT never ends up being an athletic freak, they end up being, sometimes, very talented athletically, but they need to be somewhat "normal" to have the drive / chip on their shoulder in order to make it happen. I think even LeBron was too far into the athletic freak category to get it, looking back. But he did alright haha.

Edit: "If this kid comes in and has 4-5 rings , 4-5 mvps, scores 37000, is 18 times all nba and all that…" <-- place a friendly wager on whether that happens? haha

-Smak

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    Help me out here to think of someone who proves me wrong, but the GOAT never ends up being an athletic freak, they end up being, sometimes, very talented athletically, but they need to be somewhat "normal" to have the drive / chip on their shoulder in order to make it happen. I think even LeBron was too far into the athletic freak category to get it, looking back. But he did alright haha.

Edit: "If this kid comes in and has 4-5 rings , 4-5 mvps, scores 37000, is 18 times all nba and all that…" <-- place a friendly wager on whether that happens? haha

-Smak
    lebron, mj and wilt are all athletic freaks though.

lebron, mj and wilt are all athletic freaks though.
    Mj not. Athletic big hand, small feet prol avg johnson. Hence chip. Bron and wilt are in that they have no weaknesses athletically. Not even size. They dont have hunger. Ai was a freak of sorts but he was tiny. Mj was 6’4~? Perfect height just like Kobe. Shaq is an athletic freak. If u think of peoples skill level and who had goat skill, you are overusing freak. A freak is a guy who u look at him and his body and say he has goat potential. Mj not that. Def athletic tho n worked hard to stay that way.

-Smak

No pip?

Saying MJ wasn’t an athletic freak has to be the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen posted.