Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: what all-time great (ATG) has been forgotten/slept on in recent years?

Havlicek.

Thank goodness Clyde has kept himself in the spotlight with announcing duties at MSG

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: what all-time great (ATG) has been forgotten/slept on in recent years?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeezy View Post
    karl malone and john stockton are basically products of each other. one would have been half the player without the other. they ran the pick and roll literally every single time. there was never any isolation for these guys

take away stockton and malone never wins a league mvp. so hes not underrated. hes overrated

they're like if nash and amare played together their whole lives
    just like Jerry Sloan made them despite them being stars before he was coach. They would have been great regardless. Jazz drafted Stockton because they thought Portland wanted him and they could trade him to them. I could certainly see him having a lot more success with those loaded teams than he did in Utah. Jazz thought Malone would be gone before they picked to a team like Dallas who was also loaded with talent

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Yeezy View Post
    karl malone and john stockton are basically products of each other. one would have been half the player without the other. they ran the pick and roll literally every single time. there was never any isolation for these guys

take away stockton and malone never wins a league mvp. so hes not underrated. hes overrated

they're like if nash and amare played together their whole lives
    I'm not sure this is the case per se. Of course Stockton had a significant impact, but Malone probably puts together a great career without Stockton. Stockton was a bench player in '86 and '87. '86 they weren't that great, but in '87, there was no Adrian Dantley and Malone led the team to 44 wins putting up 22/10/2/1 on 51%. That was just his second season in the league.

Then in '98, Stockton missed 18 games. During that time, the Jazz were still 11-7 and Malone put up 25/11/4/1/1 on 52%.

The point isn't about what Malone would have done without Stockton. The point is to show how well he performed and the career he had which is now unnoticed.

National High School Star

Jeff Malone, Thurl Baily, and Jeff Hornacek all put up great numbers on those Jazz teams. Malone went to play with a bunch of all-time greats and he couldn't do it.

My take is Stockton should have gotten an MVP and not Karl especially when he broke the 14 APG line that has never been done since.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    Jeff Malone, Thurl Baily, and Jeff Hornacek all put up great numbers on those Jazz teams. Malone went to play with a bunch of all-time greats and he couldn't do it.

My take is Stockton should have gotten an MVP and not Karl especially when he broke the 14 APG line that has never been done since.
    I would have been happy if the cut Jeff Malone and they got Horny for him!

When they got him he was supposed to give Karl more room to work down low. The problem was Jeff's game was 10-12 feet. One of the most one sided trades ever!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

a personality has to stick out in any sport to have no time period of fame.

Earl the Pearl Monroe had how many chips ??
    His flash and moves similar to Kyrie has always put him in my memory bank as well as others.
    Kyrie may have the same impact / but his personal vocalization could deter him a NBA player legacy.