16 61.54%
  • Luka Doncic

10 38.46%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Zion Williamson vs Luka Doncic

Feel like Zion won't get the same rebounds as Luka due to styles they play

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Based on what we've seen, you can probably slot Zion onto any team and he'll fit. Luka is more of a 'he is the system' player and if you give them equal talent, he will probably take the team to a better record but the team will maximize when he has pieces around him that can allow him to play more off-ball and be a finisher. He wears out by the 4th because of how much he has to do based on the current roster.
    And yeah agree with this

Very good NBA starter

Zion is probably the other player besides Luka that I think is just fun to watch in the league now.

He hasn't shown any kind of impact that matters though, so we'll have to see with Zion in the playoffs.

It's good for the league if Zion becomes a megastar like Luka, because he plays so differently from Luka and most other stars. Love his attacking, bully ball and drives.

The league has a lot of interesting young stars.

Zion has been playing well lately.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

I'm not the biggest fan of Luka but this question seemed weird... and then I saw the poll had Zion up 16 to 4 in the voting which made me feel like I'm in an alternate universe. I do realize it was 15 months ago but Zion did zero things to make this a valid comparison let alone him dominating the poll.

Facts Are Misleading

Zion is not even in the same stratosphere. The difference is like comparing Shawn Kemp to a peak Bird

Zion averaging under 6 rebounds a game with his physical gifts is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Zion is not even in the same stratosphere. The difference is like comparing Shawn Kemp to a peak Bird

That’s disrespectful to Shawn Kemp.

I recall, when Zion was in high school, might have even posted it here if someone can search, that “they better get a dunk contest or two out of Zion early, before he eats himself out of a career, into a future of perpetual injury after injury”

The combination of “knock-kneed, heavy, and explosive” is a battle nobody can win, not even if Phoenix/Denver/Golden-State/Spirs all pooled their training/rehabilitation staffs together and focused on keeping Zion healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post

Given Zion's track record, this could partly be an effort issue, but there's another factor you have to bear in mind which is standing reach. That is crucial for rebounding, and it can vary greatly among guys of similar height.

According to the info I see online, Zion has an 8'7 standing reach. That is 2 inches lower than Luka (8'9), who is in turn one inch shorter than Lebron (8'10). For comparison, Dwight Howard was measured at 9'3.5. Elton Brand was allegedly 9'2. There are sources suggesting Barkley was 8'10 altho I dont think it's confirmed but it would make sense. But the point is these guys all have a reach multiple inches longer than Zion. Which given Zion's compact body type, isnt surprising.

And you cant simply say "well he jumps higher so that should compensate." Every rebound isnt a straight up-and-down leap. Sometimes you have to reach for a ball careening past you at an angle and it doesnt matter how vertically high you can jump. You have to just stretch your arm out quickly and grab the ball. And obviously shorter arms puts you at a disadvantage. Also consider that Zion only plays 30 minutes a game, so his raw numbers are at a disadvantage compared to someone playing 36-38 minutes.

There's definitely more context to it than "he only gets 6 rebounds a game, he's not trying."
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 03-17-2024 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Given Zion's track record, this could partly be an effort issue, but there's another factor you have to bear in mind which is standing reach. That is crucial for rebounding, and it can vary greatly among guys of similar height.

According to the info I see online, Zion has an 8'7 standing reach. That is 2 inches lower than Luka (8'9), who is in turn one inch shorter than Lebron (8'10). For comparison, Dwight Howard was measured at 9'3.5. Elton Brand was allegedly 9'2. There are sources suggesting Barkley was 8'10 altho I dont think it's confirmed. But the point is these guys all have a reach multiple inches longer than Zion. Which given Zion's compact body type, isnt surprising.

And you cant simply say "well he jumps higher so that should compensate." Every rebound isnt a straight up-and-down leap. Sometimes you have to reach for a ball careening past you at an angle and it doesnt matter how vertically high you can jump. You have to just stretch your arm out quickly and grab the ball. And obviously shorter arms puts you at a disadvantage. Also consider that Zion only plays 30 minutes a game, so his raw numbers are at a disadvantage compared to someone playing 36-38 minutes.

There's definitely more context to it than "he only gets 6 rebounds a game, he's not trying."
    Word.
    Standing reach is the most unknown factor to fans. It’s why McHale was such a ridiculous shot blocker and rebounder despite barely getting a few inches off the ground on his multiple quick jumps. Dude was 6’10.5” but his shoulders were at the level of a 7’1”-7’2” dude, and with a sick wingspan.

EASILY Luka! Not even a debate. Zion is a beast no doubt about it. But Luka is the arguably best PG on the planet. Peak-prime wise, saying Luka is a top three PG ever peak-prime wise ISN'T outta the question at all. Zion isn't ANYWHERE CLOSE to that type of level among the PF's. Luka is the better scorer, passer, and rebounder by a LARGE MARGIN in all three areas. Zion's rebounding IN PARTICULAR is hella troubling.

National High School Star

Yeah Luka is on a top 30 trajectory while Zion is merely pushing the Hall of Fame. Both are great players who get stupid levels of hate but the time will come for both players.

Reportedly Zion has lost 25 lbs since the in-season tourney...

https://nypost.com/2024/03/18/sports...embarrassment/