Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: If Embiid and Jokic had to run the center gauntlet in 1995 how many get outpayed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Which has what to do with your reply to me talking about rebounding relative to era with Jokics rebounding in this era? He and all the top rebounders these days benefit from small ball letting them often be the only real bigs on the floor. How you take that into racial issues is weird.

Todays good rebounders get huge boards in low minutes which makes them comparable rebounders by numbers alone to the guys in question while not accounting for era related differences was the point. I don’t think I mentioned his defense at all in the post you replied to.

I just don’t think it’s by chance all these guys have historic rebounding numbers in less minutes than some of the best bigs ever. Moses Malone in his absolute prime as an mvp got 14 rebounds a game playing 42 minutes a night. Capela got 14 a game in 30 minutes despite the Hawks taking less shots a game than Moses’ Rockets and a lot less of them being around the basket.

I just don’t think that’s an accurate way to judge their rebounding. One is a good rebounder or even great…but in a league that doesn’t play many real bigs. One is a goat tier guy in a league that played and focused on them. Andre Drummond got 10 rebounds a game in 22 minutes on the Nets. I don’t necessarily think that we need to compare him as a rebounder to Ewing and say he works him because at times Ewing got 10 in 40.

The numbers can’t be looked at the same in my eyes. League too different.
    You implied 14 boards a game is a number inflated by the era, I pointed out that hardly anyone else is putting it up in this same era. You listed less than a half dozen of the best rebounders in the last 10 years to suggest everyone is doing it.

But clearly everyone is not doing it.

Default Re: If Embiid and Jokic had to run the center gauntlet in 1995 how many get outpayed?

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    You implied 14 boards a game is a number inflated by the era, I pointed out that hardly anyone else is putting it up in this same era. You listed less than a half dozen of the best rebounders in the last 10 years to suggest everyone is doing it.

But clearly everyone is not doing it.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Nothing I said implied everyone was doing anything and you know it. You absolutely know that I know and was not saying the entire league averages 14 rebounds. I said the top rebounders of today have an obvious advantage relative to those players in question who played in a league full of true bigs trying to rebound as opposed to a few tall wings and shitty inside modern bigs. To back that I gave examples of many less than special bigs getting incredible rebound numbers often in relatively low minutes which should make the current advantage clear. And this came from me responding to this point:

I would like to see Jokic and Embiid try to get their numbers against Ewing with Oakley and Mason by his side.

I explain the changes and say the old guys rebounds would go up in this situation and you tell me I should tell everyone because the whole league doesn’t average 14 as if that has anything to do with what a David Robinson or Hakeem would do under these circumstances.

And for the record I think most of the league does in fact know which is why 7 of the top 11 rebound rate guys of the last 50 years are active players. KAT is ahead of GOAT tier rebounder Charles Barkley because KAT can go get 12+ a game in only 31-33 minutes despite being soft as Twinkie filling because he’s not in a league full of the kinda guys Barkley had to fight for them.

It is easier to stack rebounds vs 2(or 3) guards, 2 wings, and a tall wing playing center/no inside game jumping Jack than it is 2 guards, a rebounding tweener, a true power forward, and a true center which is one reason guys today can be less imposing inside yet stack huge totals.

An actual competent, old school tough, big bodied big like Jokic should get a lot of rebounds when coupled with his higher than normal minutes from superstar status.

Enes Kanter and Jonas both have higher career rebound rates than Moses Malone. Jokic better get 12-14 rebounds when he gets star minutes in this league that would probably have Detlef and a lot of 90s tweeners as centers if they came along now.

I watched a team play PJ Tucker at center. Hell the same team put Westbrook at center too. Real bigs should feast.

Whatever else he is Jokic is absolutely a “real” big. He’s one of the best players of all time and one of the best centers ever. And he’s in a league that is absolutely not setup to deal with him.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

I don't think they would outplay Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson and Shaq. Against Zo, Dekembe, Smits etc i think they could.