Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Where would Kareem be ranked all-time nowadays had he retired after the 1983 finals.

In this hypothetical scenario.

A 35 to 36-year-old Kareem decides to retire after being destroyed and Swept by Moses in the 1983 finals.

As a result, his resume would now look like this.

3 rings

5 finals appearances

1 finals MVP

6 MVP's

8 x all NBA first team.

4 x all NBA second team.

5× NBA All-Defensive First Team

5× NBA All-Defensive Second Team

29810 points which would see him now be ranked eight on the all-time scoring list.

14,418 rebounds which would see him now be ranked 12th all-time on the all-time rebounding list

3632 playoff points which see him now drop out of the top ten.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Where would Kareem be ranked all-time nowadays had he retired after the 1983 fina

If anyone wanted to objectively rank players by their accomplishments and leave their personal feelings out of it Russell and Kareem are a fairly easy number one and number two all time with the only argument being between MJ and Kareem for second with no clear #4 considering the gulf between those 3 and everyone else in either rings or mvps. 3 guys have 6 or more rings and 5 or more mvps and the closest anyone comes is Magic with 5-3, Duncan with 5-2, and Lebron with 4-4. Wilt 2-4 , Kobe 5 and 1, Bird 3/3, and Steph 4 and 2 get mentioned but don’t stack up to the first 3 just going off major accolades and all.

But that isn’t what most care about. Much as people swear those things matter in individual comparisons they get tossed out talking big picture because nobody wants to accept Russell and Kareem as 1 and 2 so they decide who goes where then build the case to justify it in individual arguments between players ignoring matchup to matchup contradictions.

I said all that to say…

Kareem is probably ranked where he is right now because most people don’t actually care what you accomplish. They put you where they want then fabricate the reasons why later.

Default Re: Where would Kareem be ranked all-time nowadays had he retired after the 1983 fina

Half the people here wouldn't even care about him.

Having your own opinion is ok but why the comparisons of such players that play NOTHING at all like each other has ruined basketball chit chat imo. It's mindless even when people go in depth. I personally know that the ole' MJ highlight videos made an impact on people who DIDN'T study the game. None of it even matters anyway. Just enjoy the shit then go hug your wife and kids.

Sorry if I seem condescending to anyone here btw...

Apart from a couple people. **** them.

Good High School Starter

Difficult question. I think he would be viewed as one of the greatest RS players of all-time but an underperformer in the post-season. Similar to Wilt Chamberlain, I suppose.

National High School Star

I have him at #5...I think I would put him behind Magic and Bill so he would be #7.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    If anyone wanted to objectively rank players by their accomplishments and leave their personal feelings out of it Russell and Kareem are a fairly easy number one and number two all time with the only argument being between MJ and Kareem for second with no clear #4 considering the gulf between those 3 and everyone else in either rings or mvps. 3 guys have 6 or more rings and 5 or more mvps and the closest anyone comes is Magic with 5-3, Duncan with 5-2, and Lebron with 4-4. Wilt 2-4 , Kobe 5 and 1, Bird 3/3, and Steph 4 and 2 get mentioned but don’t stack up to the first 3 just going off major accolades and all.

But that isn’t what most care about. Much as people swear those things matter in individual comparisons they get tossed out talking big picture because nobody wants to accept Russell and Kareem as 1 and 2 so they decide who goes where then build the case to justify it in individual arguments between players ignoring matchup to matchup contradictions.

I said all that to say…

Kareem is probably ranked where he is right now because most people don’t actually care what you accomplish. They put you where they want then fabricate the reasons why later.
    Well if you want to be objective, rings are team accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Well if you want to be objective, rings are team accomplishment.
    In that case you can say every achievement and stats are team based.
    The amount of points assists etc you get are based on what job your team needs you to do and it can change if you play with a different team.
    MVPs depend on the quality of your team etc
    I am speaking in a broad sence tho as their are always a few exceptions

Quote Originally Posted by nayte View Post
    In that case you can say every achievement and stats are team based.
    The amount of points assists etc you get are based on what job your team needs you to do and it can change if you play with a different team.
    MVPs depend on the quality of your team etc
    I am speaking in a broad sence tho as their are always a few exceptions
    No no, team accomplishment. Not based. Your stats are yours. Team wins the championships.

Everything is based on something else. How about parents based. Yao Ming having any NBA stats at all depended on his parents allowing him to play basketball.

No no, team accomplishment. Not based. Your stats are yours. Team wins the championships.

Everything is based on something else. How about parents based. Yao Ming having any NBA stats at all depended on his parents allowing him to play basketball.
    Kinda feel your taking it to the extreme.
    Let's go with MVPs are based on team accomplishments

Kinda feel your taking it to the extreme.
    Let's go with MVPs are based on team accomplishments
    Sure. It is also based on many other things like voters' subjectivity and preference.

Sure. It is also based on many other things like voters' subjectivity and preference.
    Nah it's almost always been based on the best player on the best team.

Nah it's almost always been based on the best player on the best team.
    'almost'

Decent college freshman

Kareem transcended the game. Retiring in 1983 wouldn't have changed that.

Still top 2.

Last edited by jayfan; 09-21-2022 at 06:31 AM.

'almost'
    Eh that's not helping you 95 percent of the time doesn't help your point of view