Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Is Edwards facing punishment for posting hate speech on social media?

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    They just issued his punishment. Looks like the league is coming down hard on anyone who isn't 'woke'. This is beyond excessive in my opinion :

Default Re: Is Edwards facing punishment for posting hate speech on social media?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    The guideline I referred to is the maximum punishments. The fine maximum was raised by the owners themselves and he just paid it. As I said Silver is his employee and has no true power over them. That’s what Silver struggled explaining when he tripped up and admitted they have different standards. He can’t remove an owner. Owners remove an owner. The nba is the owners. They punish themselves within their own guidelines. Silver is a public facing manager. He isn’t able to punish owners any more than owners allow.

For players? The nba players association negotiated punishments with the league and how they can be handed down and for what.

You pretend to want to know the difference so there it is. Workplace misconduct….AT work…by the owners who have no union because they are the corporation and police themselves. The other is a person not at work who even if he was has a union with a negotiated discipline process.

Google the social media policy if you actually care. But you don’t.
    Youre completely deflecting.

Silver was tasked with deciding on the specific level of punishment for Sarver. The fact Sarver is his boss is immaterial. Silver still chooses the exact punishment. You think Sarver punished himself? You think Sterling banned himself for life?

Silver also selects player punishments.

What should Edwards’ punishment be?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

You can’t decide the punishment of someone you work for. Go watch the interview he had to do. He CANT just do what he wants. He can’t remove an owner. He can’t exceed the fine they voted to be the max. He works within a framework agreed by his bosses. Not having the power to do whatever he wants is his defense for not doing more. The owners set the punishments. He’s a face to put in the public.

And no Sterling didn’t ban himself and silver didn’t either. Did you not listen to him address that? He CANT do it. There is a process to eject a member but it absolutely is not within the power of the commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    What should Edwards’ punishment be?
    Whatever the NBA wants it to be. It's in their contract that he is an extension of the NBA brand and is responsible for upholding that brand. He also has the luxury of a powerful union that can keep his employer in check. It's not even like his statements were said in confidence and got leaked. Then there'd be grounds to cry foul. But he posted it publicly himself. This is a non-story.

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    They just issued his punishment. Looks like the league is coming down hard on anyone who isn't 'woke'. This is beyond excessive in my opinion :

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    You can’t decide the punishment of someone you work for. Go watch the interview he had to do. He CANT just do what he wants. He can’t remove an owner. He can’t exceed the fine they voted to be the max. He works within a framework agreed by his bosses. Not having the power to do whatever he wants is his defense for not doing more. The owners set the punishments. He’s a face to put in the public.

And no Sterling didn’t ban himself and silver didn’t either. Did you not listen to him address that? He CANT do it. There is a process to eject a member but it absolutely is not within the power of the commissioner.
    I understand that. Maybe you misunderstood my original post. I wasnt asking about Silver giving him a lifetime ban, I was asking about all the people out there on social media CALLING for Sarver to get a lifetime ban. Evidently unaware that it’s not feasible. These people believe he DESERVES a lifetime ban. They are silent on punishment for Edwards.

Youre one of the people who seems to think Sarver’s punishment was DESERVED (at minimum). Correct me if Im wrong on that.

What punishment do you think Edwards deserves?

First of all:

A person doing what he did who didn’t own his company would be fired every time just to duck a lawsuit but as an owner he can’t be fired so deserve isn’t really the issue. He can’t get the punishment normal people get because the punishing body is owned by him. The issue with you was acting like he was being punished for nothing because for whatever reason you feel obligated to defend a scumbag. You want to have that discussion go read it. I don’t need to have it again. It’s still on the first page.

Far as Ant I don’t know the precedent or the social media policy. He isn’t an owner he’s a union member with defined guidelines. As I said the only similar thing I can think of was a white guy who got a fine for saying “I’ll fight ever ****** here” or something.

The non workplace rules are obviously different. Show me who got punished for those things and I’ll tell you what it seems in line with.

The was Eagles WR Riley Cooper who said that at a country music concert. He was only fined by the Eagles, while the league didnt punish him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo View Post
    The was Eagles WR Riley Cooper who said that at a country music concert. He was only fined by the Eagles, while the league didnt punish him.
    Yeah the Cooper thing was bad, altho a couple points: He was being secretly recorded saying something that wasnt intended to be public. Edwards was willfully POSTING hate speech.

Second: That was the NFL and altho youd expect the same factors to go into a punishment, you cant say the NBA is being “inconsistent” for doing it a different way than some other league.

Actually I just realized the most direct comparison is Meyers Leonard calling a video game opponent a “k1ke bitch” on a livestream.

He was suspended indefinitely by the team (I think he ultimately missed one game) and the team said this:

”The Miami Heat vehemently condemns the use of any form of hate speech,” the team statement said.
    Will the Wolves call Ant’s statement hate speech, or is that once again only a standard applied to white people?

I dont care whether the league does or doesnt punish anyone for these kinds of things, thats league business. But the double standard thing regarding speech is racist and frankly violates the civil rights laws kblaze was just lecturing us about.

Banned

I understand that. Maybe you misunderstood my original post. I wasnt asking about Silver giving him a lifetime ban, I was asking about all the people out there on social media CALLING for Sarver to get a lifetime ban. Evidently unaware that it’s not feasible. These people believe he DESERVES a lifetime ban. They are silent on punishment for Edwards.

Youre one of the people who seems to think Sarver’s punishment was DESERVED (at minimum). Correct me if Im wrong on that.

What punishment do you think Edwards deserves?
    Who care what people on social media are calling for? You can find fringe outliers of every group imaginable and everyone in between on social media. It doesn't actually mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    Who care what people on social media are calling for? You can find fringe outliers of every group imaginable and everyone in between on social media. It doesn't actually mean anything.
    You count Lebron and CP3 as fringe outliers when it comes to public influence?

Banned

You count Lebron and CP3 as fringe outliers when it comes to public influence?
    I'm sure they have a significant following, but their opinion is their opinion. I don't recall CP3 weighing in on issues, so I'm not sure what his history of that is, but Lebron is notorious for having dumb takes and putting his foot in his mouth. They're only as influential as people allow themselves to be influenced by them.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

He's black

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    I'm sure they have a significant following, but their opinion is their opinion. I don't recall CP3 weighing in on issues, so I'm not sure what his history of that is, but Lebron is notorious for having dumb takes and putting his foot in his mouth. They're only as influential as people allow themselves to be influenced by them.
    Cp0 def clutched his pearls on the twitters regarding the Sarver issue. But he hasnt condemned Edwards.

And my point is just to figure out who wants equality to be a two way street, and who doesnt.

So far, I do.

Kblaze, Lebron, and CP0 dont.

The only equality you would honestly want in this situation is for Sarver and Ant to both go unpunished because you’re an awful person all around. Real world equality doesn’t apply here only when you twist it to make a point you don’t even believe in. For the two things to get equal treatment they would need to be somewhat equal transgressions. Not comparing 18 years of documented abuse, racial issues, and demeaning women all of which is in the workplace and a social media clip on private time once for someone with a union negotiated set of rules governing his potential punishment.

Attempt to do all that Sarver did not only would you not have a job long enough to get through all his factual transgressions if you did them all done you would get sued and lose if there were witnesses. Go do what Ant did it’s entirely possible your job wouldn’t even ask you to explain yourself since it’s off the clock and touchy legally. One is a PR issue. One is a legal issue of an abusive, racist, and sexist boss.

No equality to be found between the two.

Go out in the real world and yell at a subordinate female co worker till she breaks down in tears, complain about women crying too much, do it again with another one, talk to an employee about their pubic hair shaving habits, how well their wife probably sucks dick, tell a pregnant woman she can’t work there after the baby and see how well that goes without the racial issues.

Sarver is fired anywhere that he isn’t the boss…Ant? Depending on the job they might be powerless to punish him. A public facing one might be annoyed and have him issue an apology. Sarvers transgressions get anyone else fired about….6 times before you get to him calling employees ******s.

Hes a shit person. Only another shit person would defend him. There are 200 posts on the issue already. Go read them if you want more.