Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Is Edwards facing punishment for posting hate speech on social media?

Guy didnt simply use a generic word with homosexual connotations but in a completely unrelated way.

He filmed a group of homosexuals without their knowledge and posted on social media that they were queer ass ****** and basically complained about their presence in society.

Is Lebron or the NBA gonna speak out about this as a serious issue or nah?

How many games do you think he should be suspended?

Banned

Default Re: Is Edwards facing punishment for posting hate speech on social media?

I'm not comfortable at all with our society getting to the point where speech is regulated like that. Nobody has some inherent right to not be offended. However, we DO (in theory, or according to the Constitution at least) have the right to free speech. What people say on their private social media accounts shouldn't be any of the NBA's business.

I mean, if Bronie wants to make a fool out of himself and support Communist China, he should be able to do so without repercussion from the NBA. Same for all the other players. It's a slippery slope, and policing speech usually ends up with policing thought.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Default Re: Is Edwards facing punishment for posting hate speech on social media?

No, only heterosexual white males are held to a higher yet double standard

Decent playground baller

only an issue if the correct boxes aren't ticked on The Narrative's front page

It doesn't seem like it.

Why?

I think we all know

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    I'm not comfortable at all with our society getting to the point where speech is regulated like that. Nobody has some inherent right to not be offended. However, we DO (in theory, or according to the Constitution at least) have the right to free speech. What people say on their private social media accounts shouldn't be any of the NBA's business.

I mean, if Bronie wants to make a fool out of himself and support Communist China, he should be able to do so without repercussion from the NBA. Same for all the other players. It's a slippery slope, and policing speech usually ends up with policing thought.
    This is a fair position to take, I’m just wondering why a lifetime ban is being called on for Sarver but the same people arent asking Edwards to face a major suspension for hate speech.

Sarver had a pattern of rude/inappropriate workplace behavior, altho the NBA specifically found it NOT to be motivated by bigotry.

So if he gets a lifetime for that, maybe Edwards should get half a season for a first time offense of emphatic and premeditated hate speech?

I think half a season should be the minimum, right?

Will Chris Paul commment? What about Lebron? Or NBPA exec Tamika Ngolwailika?

Kblaze, you have experience with HR.

Any thoughts?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    This is a fair position to take, I’m just wondering why a lifetime ban is being called on for Sarver but the same people arent asking Edwards to face a major suspension for hate speech.

Sarver had a pattern of rude/inappropriate workplace behavior, altho the NBA specifically found it NOT to be motivated by bigotry.

So if he gets a lifetime for that, maybe Edwards should get half a season for a first time offense of emphatic and premeditated hate speech?

I think half a season should be the minimum, right?

Will Chris Paul commment? What about Lebron? Or NBPA exec Tamika Ngolwailika?
    I think you're making a false equivalence here though. Posting something on social media is not even close to the same as conduct with your subordinates that creates a hostile work environment. I don't see the Sarver thing as a free speech issue in any way.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Kblaze, you have experience with HR.

Any thoughts?
    Not that you actually care about the issue but I was out of HR before the rise of social media. That said I know it’s hard to regulate non workplace speech especially when the person you want to punish is in a union that negotiates what can and cannot be punished and how.

If he said it to employees at work…and specifically to subordinates…. there would be easier to follow guidelines. I don’t know how the personal conduct policy applies to offseason social media unrelated to the workplace. Most of the people discussed lately(Sarver, Sterling, Snyder) had long lists of in the building and direct business related issues over decades.

Closest comparison to this is maybe Riley Cooper who got caught yelling the “n word” at a country music show. He ended up being fined something but not suspended. In the end it’s a union thing. Can’t pull a punishment out of your ass in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    I think you're making a false equivalence here though. Posting something on social media is not even close to the same as conduct with your subordinates that creates a hostile work environment. I don't see the Sarver thing as a free speech issue in any way.

That's why I didnt equate them. I outlined exactly how they're different issues, but my point was if being a dickhead boss for a period of years is a lifetime ban, maybe public hate speech is half a season?

It's hard to see one being a lifetime ban and the other being a slap on the wrist, no?

Or is asking CJ Watson why Draymond Green is allowed to say n!gga really just that much worse than secretly filming a group of men and publicly calling them queers and asking the entire social media universe what the world has come to?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Not that you actually care about the issue but I was out of HR before the rise of social media. That said I know it’s hard to regulate non workplace speech especially when the person you want to punish is in a union that negotiates what can and cannot be punished and how.

If he said it to employees at work…and specifically to subordinates…. there would be easier to follow guidelines. I don’t know how the personal conduct policy applies to offseason social media unrelated to the workplace. Most of the people discussed lately(Sarver, Sterling, Snyder) had long lists of in the building and direct business related issues over decades.

Closest comparison to this is maybe Riley Cooper who got caught yelling the “n word” at a country music show. He ended up being fined something but not suspended. In the end it’s a union thing. Can’t pull a punishment out of your ass in most cases.
    True, altho it's ultimately a judgement call by the company either way. Silver made a judgement call on Sarver, and now either Silver or the TWolves owner has to do likewise on Edwards.

Also in Cooper's case he was the one being filmed. And I dont think he yelled at the person (could be mistaken) but rather referenced him that way to the people he was with. Obviously a tasteless thing to do, but I'm not sure a private conversation can be deemed hate speech. (I'm genuinely not sure, but I would assume hate speech refers to public statements).

Edwards made a public statement deriding an entire group of people and questioning their value to society.

So I'm just curious what kind of punishment you think that deserves?

Silver did not make a judgement call on Sarver. Sarver is his boss. Sarver and the other owners decide on punishments for themselves and even the limits. The fine was exactly the number the owners voted to make it after they felt the one Sterling got was seen as too small. Silver can’t do anything to Sarver that he and the owners don’t accept. They have to show something because his behavior leaves them open to a lot of legal action. He’d be fired 5 times over if he didn’t own the entity that has to agree to do it.

You’re talking a part owner of a company accepting a punishment he votes on the limits of due to in the workplace multiple witness abuse, racism, and misogyny.

It is not even in the same solar system as what someone says outside work on social media. The policies policing those things are entirely different and very different in application from a legal pov. It’s a union issue. Sarver is a company policing itself internally.

You wanna play dumb and defend Sarver for another 200 posts of scumbaggery have at it but the two things are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Silver did not make a judgement call on Sarver. Sarver is his boss. Sarver and the other owners decide on punishments for themselves and even the limits. The fine was exactly the number the owners voted to make it after they felt the one Sterling got was seen as too small. Silver can’t do anything to Sarver that he and the owners don’t accept. They have to show something because his behavior leaves them open to a lot of legal action. He’d be fired 5 times over if he didn’t own the entity that has to agree to do it.

You’re talking a part owner of a company accepting a punishment he votes on the limits of due to in the workplace multiple witness abuse, racism, and misogyny.

It is not even in the same solar system as what someone says outside work on social media. The policies policing those things are entirely different and very different in application from a legal pov. It’s a union issue. Sarver is a company policing itself internally.

You wanna play dumb and defend Sarver for another 200 posts of scumbaggery have at it but the two things are unrelated.
    Lolwut, Silver said in an interview it was his call on this. There is no guideline that says “if owners talk about someones wife giving oral sex and then use the n-word like players do they get banned 1 year and fined 10 mil”

Silver made a judgement by weighing the damage to the league vs fairness to the accused.

Sarver and Edwards both damaged league image and thats what they get punished for. Whatever agreement owners have with outlining punishment is no different than what the players union has. Both get put in Silver’s hands.

If you think gay bashing is cool just cop to it. Or maybe you think whites should be punished and not blacks. I dunno. But if youre a homophobic racist might as well just admit it instead of trying to condemn from one side of your mouth while making excuses from the other.

Youre accepted here either way, just keep it consistent bro.

The guideline I referred to is the maximum punishments. The fine maximum was raised by the owners themselves and he just paid it. As I said Silver is his employee and has no true power over them. That’s what Silver struggled explaining when he tripped up and admitted they have different standards. He can’t remove an owner. Owners remove an owner. The nba is the owners. They punish themselves within their own guidelines. Silver is a public facing manager. He isn’t able to punish owners any more than owners allow.

For players? The nba players association negotiated punishments with the league and how they can be handed down and for what.

You pretend to want to know the difference so there it is. Workplace misconduct….AT work…by the owners who have no union because they are the corporation and police themselves. The other is a person not at work who even if he was has a union with a negotiated discipline process.

Google the social media policy if you actually care. But you don’t.

They just issued his punishment. Looks like the league is coming down hard on anyone who isn't 'woke'. This is beyond excessive in my opinion :