Very good NBA starter

Default Spain wins Eurobasket - Lorenzo El Marrón is the real MVP

Congratulations to Spain with the Eurobasket win!

And congrats to the real MVP of the tourney Lorenzo El Marrón!

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Spain wins Eurobasket - Lorenzo El Marrón is the real MVP

Honestly I think it's pathetic that a great basketball nation like Spain feels the need to buy a mercenary to help them win. Lorenzo Brown has zero connection to Spain, never lived there, never played there.

Unlike what people here think, I have no issue with the Garubas, Giannis, Goberts and I consider them spanish, greek and french, but I have a huge problem with greedy teams making a mockery of international teams by using mercenaries like this.

What's the point in winning an international competition if it isn't won by your countrymen?

Naturalized players have been around for quite some time tbh, especially in smaller national teams. But its probably the first time that one of the major nations have an american as one of the top players (only other example that comes to mind is probably Russia with JR Holden).

What makes it even "worse" is that almost all naturalized players are from the USA, so it feels like an american FA signing.

But the thing is that it has been like that in football as well. Actually FIFA doesnt even put a limit in the number of players, while FIBA only allows one player per tournament

In the end its a matter of each country's law. If the government accepts an individual as a resident, I doubt that FIBA can do much.

Take for example Domantas Sabonis. Born and raised in the US, never actually lived in Lithuania, but since his dad is Lithuanian, he gets Lithuanian citizenship by law (citizenship by descent), so obviously he is not considered naturalized. Same goes for Tyler Dorsey, whose mum is Greek.

So where do you put the ethnicity limit? If the government's laws allow the naturalization process, you cant do much.

It will be even worse if Embiid decides to play for France, since he is an MVP candidate who has never lived in France either, but he just got his French passport

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK View Post
    So where do you put the ethnicity limit?
    Jus Sangiunus - citizenship by blood (Domantas in Lithuania)

Jus Soli - citizenship by birth in territory (Giannis)

Ideally, these should be the only ones that matter in sports and Jus Soli, usually requires you to affirm your citizenship when you become a legal adult.

Most citizenships today in Europe are also hard to get from residence and requires 5-10 years of continuous residence to even be elligble.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Honestly I think it's pathetic that a great basketball nation like Spain feels the need to buy a mercenary to help them win. Lorenzo Brown has zero connection to Spain, never lived there, never played there.

Unlike what people here think, I have no issue with the Garubas, Giannis, Goberts and I consider them spanish, greek and french, but I have a huge problem with greedy teams making a mockery of international teams by using mercenaries like this.

What's the point in winning an international competition if it isn't won by your countrymen?
    Well that’s what they are so why wouldn’t you?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Well that’s what they are so why wouldn’t you?
    If I was a racist then I likely wouldn't.

Also, ethnicity, language, culture and citizenship is very nuanced in Europe. Lots of people in Europe have citizenship in one country, but do not consider them part of that ethnic group at all.

There are the romani, who define themselves as such and definitely not romanian/bulgarian. There are serbs living in Bosnia and bosnians living in Serbia. There are spanish who don't consider themselves spanish, such as the Basque and Catalan. There are swedes in Finland, poles in Germany, russians in Lithuania and Ukraine.

So we in Europe are not moronic americans who think just because you're born one place, means that's the ethnicity you belong to.

Giannis has been pretty vocal about being nigerian though, so I don't consider his heart to truly be greek so he'll remain a greek-nigerian or nigerian-greek.

Rudy's mother is actually white, so here in Europe, we don't think of him as black at all, just french or european.

Garuba is a son to nigerian migrants, so it's a Giannis situation, where his heart will decide where he belongs.

Jus Sangiunus - citizenship by blood (Domantas in Lithuania)

Jus Soli - citizenship by birth in territory (Giannis)

Ideally, these should be the only ones that matter in sports and Jus Soli, usually requires you to affirm your citizenship when you become a legal adult.

Most citizenships today in Europe are also hard to get from residence and requires 5-10 years of continuous residence to even be elligble.
    You are a Filipino.

NBA Superstar

If I was a racist then I likely wouldn't.

Also, ethnicity, language, culture and citizenship is very nuanced in Europe. Lots of people in Europe have citizenship in one country, but do not consider them part of that ethnic group at all.

There are the romani, who define themselves as such and definitely not romanian/bulgarian. There are serbs living in Bosnia and bosnians living in Serbia. There are spanish who don't consider themselves spanish, such as the Basque and Catalan. There are swedes in Finland, poles in Germany, russians in Lithuania and Ukraine.

So we in Europe are not moronic americans who think just because you're born one place, means that's the ethnicity you belong to.

Giannis has been pretty vocal about being nigerian though, so I don't consider his heart to truly be greek so he'll remain a greek-nigerian or nigerian-greek.

Rudy's mother is actually white, so here in Europe, we don't think of him as black at all, just french or european.

Garuba is a son to nigerian migrants, so it's a Giannis situation, where his heart will decide where he belongs.
    Well good thing that's not what we're talking about.

Ethnicity and nationality are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    You are a Filipino.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Hats off to Spain, Gobert lost it for France, complete non factor in the finals

NBA rookie of the year

Local High School Star

Spain is always so good at these tournaments