Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2022 off season Post Gobert. A new era begins

https://www.ksl.com/article/50434922...or-all-options

"I think a lot of it is going to be tailored to the players, especially on the offensive end," he said of the type of basketball he will bring to Utah. "Defensively, there's always things that you believe in. But I wouldn't be doing my job if I wasn't trying to tailor what we do to our roster."
    that's refreshing. Now you just have to get him some talent again!

While the exact system is still up in the air, he did reveal how he plans to run the program. Hardy said he wants the Jazz to embody three words: toughness, sacrifice and passion. And he plans to practice — a lot. But that doesn't mean Quin Snyder's infamous three-hour sessions will be sticking around.
    Rudy had all of those things. Not sure too many of the guys left do. That's been part of their problem

https://kslsports.com/489204/best-mo...ith-utah-jazz/

Going To Three-Straight All-Star Games
    should have made 5

That record still stands today.
    was on pace to beat it when he got the Trump virus the first time. Doubt he approaches it again. He won't see the ball as much

https://www.deseret.com/2022/7/5/231...ess-conference

The front office was honest with Hardy throughout the interview process about the different paths the Jazz could take moving forward and how that could mean that he could be coaching a contending team or a team that is facing a rebuild. Hardy wanted to position no matter the roster or what the future might be.
    pretty obvious which one he has rather the Jazz know it or not yet

The Jazz front office, namely Ainge and general manager Justin Zanik have been open and communicative with Hardy about roster decisions, and they have made him a part of the decision-making conversations. But, Hardy said he has full trust in Ainge and Zanik’s ability to construct the roster without his input.
    hopefully they'll be on the same page unlike the Wizard and COTM

Hardy has been in contact with the Jazz’s current players and said that everyone has been receptive and excited to get to work with him.
    what else they going to say?

https://thejnotes.com/2022/07/05/3-t...league-game/2/

Unfortunately, while Butler wasn’t overly terrible, it just felt like the offense wasn’t clicking together, and it may be the first game of Summer League, but the hope was that Butler with plenty of NBA experience could lead this team in game 1. The Thunder were led by 2021/22 rookie sensation Josh Giddey and Chet Holmgren, and look much more fluent and organized, once again showing there’s a clear lack of overall talent on this Jazz Summer League roster.
    they don't really have an offense or a defense so it's probably a bit tougher than OKC sending in most of the regular season roster

It’s been well-documented that the Utah Jazz didn’t get themselves any high end talent in this years draft, and in the first Summer League game of the year, it was very apparent that they didn’t have anyone that could stand out and take over a game the way that Holmgren did for the OKC Thunder.
    we don't know really know what they got in the draft yet. Let's see him play first eh?

One big reason for this could be the fact that Johnny Juzang, the big name UDFA didn’t play due to a car crash recently that may hold him out for the entirety of SLC Summer League, but the team was also missing Leondro Bolmaro and Walker Kessler, two names acquired in the Rudy Gobert trade that could have made a big impact in this game. Kofi Cockburn wasn’t anywhere near effective enough when guarding Holmgren, and didn’t make any type of impact until late in the game, and one of the only players who flashed any sort of potential was Xavier Sneed.
    they also didn't play some guys that might have helped like a former lottery pick

https://thejnotes.com/2022/07/05/uta...art-offseason/

Point Guard: Patrick Beverly, Mike Conely, Jared Butler

Shooting Guard: Donovan Mitchell, Jordan Clarkson, Malik Beasly, Nickeil Alexander-Walker

Small Forward: Bojan Bogdanovic, Leandro Bolmaro

Power Forward: Jarred Vanderbilt, Rudy Gay

Center: Udoka Azubike, Walker Kessler, Kofi Cockburn or Tacko Fall
    I get the uneasy feeling that they might go into the season with a veteran line-up and give Mitchell a chance to show that he can lead them. When it fails Ainge will sell everyone off and it will look more like this with whatever they get in return.
    Point Guard: Mitchell, Jared Butler

Shooting Guard: Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Juang has a two way

Small Forward: Leandro Bolmaro

Power Forward: Jarred Vanderbilt

Center: Udoka Azubike, Walker Kessler

Keep in mind that the Jazz have time to add players, which they will desperately need to do. Jarred Vanderbilt only became a starter last season, and he did not show out for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Udoka Azubike is by no means a starting center in the NBA, but he is technically the only center the Jazz have under contract. Depending on how the Summer League goes, Cockburn and Fall might arrive at the party.
    Vanderbilt is probably now the best rebounder on the team. Looking at his stats I'd say he's an energy guy, rebounder, defender? Shoing out yes? Udoka actually looked good starting last year. Certainly good enough for a tanking team.

The backcourt is in good hands. Between Mitchell, Clarkson, and Beasly, the Jazz might have the best shooting guard core in the league. I placed Mike Conely behind Patrick Beverly for purely defensive reasons. If they both remain on the roster, I expect them to split minutes.
    they at least have two of the biggest gunners and worst defenders at guard. Doubt Conley will be around. Beverley shouldn't either. Mitchell is the pg supposedly. Butler should get a shot to back him up

The frontcourt is where work needs to be done. Between the power forward and center positions, Rudy Gay is the only player who has ever been a quality starter, and that was back in 2017.
    depends on what you consider quality. Vanderbilt would be considered quality in a different era for sure.

https://thejnotes.com/2022/07/04/3-u...mmer-league/3/

Many players will bounce around in their early basketball career, hoping to find a spot where they can establish themselves and call home, and after doing just that for the past two years, the Utah Jazz and Xavier Sneed hope he can settle in with the Jazz and make a name for himself as a scoring wing. The 6’5″, 215 pounder played four years at Kansas State, and it was his final season, in which he averaged 14 points and 5 rebounds a game that got him attention, and with consistent playing time, it’s believed he can replicate those type of numbers at the next level.
    expecting a guy that averaged 14 his 4th year in college to become a scoring wing?

Usher is the guy everyone is talking about so watch out for him tonight

“Rudy Gobert getting traded for an arm, a leg and two mountains is helping their cause. There’s no way the Nets will ever trade Kevin Durant for anything less than what Rudy Gobert got Utah,” said one Western Conference executive. “If nothing comes, I can see them saying [to the players], ‘We just all have to come back.’ If I’m them, I just try to string this out as long as possible.”

– via Jake Fischer @ Bleacher Report

Rudy is significantly younger and more durable

Toronto and Indiana have repeatedly been mentioned as looming landing spots for the talented young center, but Utah has been described to B/R as an unlikely destination for Ayton, despite the Jazz moving off Gobert.

– via Jake Fischer @ Bleacher Report

good

But pairing Gobert with the 6-foot-11-inch Karl-Anthony Towns is an interesting hoop mixture when the league is generally going smaller. (The Celtics started Robert Williams and Al Horford, but both are versatile defenders.) “It changes who they are drastically, that’s for sure,” a coach from one close competitor of the Wolves told Heavy.com. “We’ll see if those two guys can work together. I’m sure Towns is going to love being able to play out on the perimeter more on offense; the question is can he guard anybody out there?

– via Steve Bulpett @ Heavy.com

protecting the rim when Rudy has to leave the paint will be bigger

The Utah Jazz partly blew up their core last week, trading Rudy Gobert to the Minnesota Timberwolves for an absolute haul and also shipping Royce O’Neale off to the Brooklyn Nets. These moves left Donovan Mitchell scratching his head. According to Brian Windhorst, who spoke on his Hoop Collective Podcast, Mitchell approached the front office and asked them what their plan is after parting ways with two key players. Windhorst revealed the Jazz are essentially looking to “do what’s right” for the franchise, with Danny Ainge, in particular, believing that giving up Gobert and O’Neale was in the best interest of Utah.
    – via Quinn Allen @ Clutch Points

When Hardy started to explain to Ainge that three-word motto and how he would approach practices, Ainge lit up. “There were three things,” Ainge said. “First, he doesn’t like five-on-zero practices, and I don’t either. He wants his players to feel the pressure of a game in every practice scenario. Second, he wants practices to involve more transition, which is what we all think needs more attention, on both sides of the ball. And third, he wants to practice more.”
    – via Sarah Todd @ deseret.com

“For me to be an effective leader, I have to have that personal capital built up with everybody, and so my goal these first couple of months is to really hope that everybody here gets to know me as a person before you get to know me as a coach.” Hardy has sacrificed a lot to get to this point and he’ll be putting in as much if not more work now than he ever has. His wife Spencer and the couple’s two young daughters will also be sacrificing. Hardy is a long way from home (Richmond, Virginia,) and he’ll miss out on things for the greater good of the team.
    – via Sarah Todd @ deseret.com

be interesting if it changes at all. Jazz still have some work to do no matter what direction they are going in. Conley I would think has to go for sure if Mitchell is the one. I'd guess Beverley too with Butler in the wings. I'd hope Bojan, Clarkson, Gay and Beasley as well

The Milwaukee Bucks have signed forward Joe Ingles. “Joe is a proven shot maker who will add great depth to our roster,” said Bucks General Manager Jon Horst. “He is a terrific person and teammate who will fit in well with our team and community. We’re thrilled to welcome Joe and his family to Milwaukee.”
    – via Milwaukee Bucks @ NBA.com