Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: From 08-10 who was better Kobe or LeBron

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    I already have stated that I thought Kobe was ultimately better in 2009. You having to formulate the argument based on what you need isn’t healthy for anyone.

Kobe was better in 2010 and 2011

Do I need to post Lebron's stats from the last 3 games of those seasons?

The 2011 Finals wasn't a 1-off - Lebron simply sucked against top comp at that time - see the 07-11 playoff where he was literally AIDS against the top comp

Lebron was getting 24 on 35% against the 07' Spurs and 08' Celtics, while Kobe averaged 30 on 50% against the 07' Spurs and about the same against the 08' Celtics.. Then Lebron fell apart in the 10' and 11' Playoffs.. he sucked compared to Kobe from 07-11'

2008 - Kobe
    2009 - Kobe
    2010 - Toss up

Please tell me in what world does a guy who wins a ring, wins FMVP and is the dominant force in the WCF and finals the lesser player? I am talking about 2009 of course.

You can take your FG% and TS% and shove it up your arse. A volume shooter who shoots a ton of midrange shots being judged by those stats is like judging a C on his FT%. Also, Kobe was an elite defender. 2010 was when he had that knee issue and free lanced more. But pre 2010, Kobe was healthy and an engaged defender. Lakers went 65-17 and chipped.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival View Post
    2008 - Kobe
    2009 - Kobe
    2010 - Toss up

Please tell me in what world does a guy who wins a ring, wins FMVP and is the dominant force in the WCF and finals the lesser player? I am talking about 2009 of course.

You can take your FG% and TS% and shove it up your arse. A volume shooter who shoots a ton of midrange shots being judged by those stats is like judging a C on his FT%. Also, Kobe was an elite defender. 2010 was when he had that knee issue and free lanced more. But pre 2010, Kobe was healthy and an engaged defender. Lakers went 65-17 and chipped.
    Well said. The playoffs and NBA finals matter here when you're talking about the entire season and not just the regular season.

College star

I'm taking 2009 Kobe over LeBron. You can't ignore Kobe leading that team to 65 wins in the Western Conference, winning FMVP, while LeBron and co. lost to the same team with HCA.

7-time NBA All-Star

2008 - Kobe
    2009 - Kobe
    2010 - Toss up

2010 lebron and 2011 lebron are the same - he melted down in BOTH playoffs, so he's nowhere near Kobe until Wade taught him how to perform under pressure.. That's the historical record

NBA Superstar

2008 - Kobe
    2009 - Kobe
    2010 - Toss up

I know you’re talking about 2009. But if the warriors win are you prepared to tell me that Steph is better than Giannis right now?

I know you’re talking about 2009. But if the warriors win are you prepared to tell me that Steph is better than Giannis right now?
    Different scenario. Kobe was 31 in 2009 and closer to his prime while Steph is 33.

And Kobe was dominant in the WCF against Denver and the finals against Orlando. Check the stats.

I seriously doubt Steph has that type of level in him at 33. But if he does Kobe type stuff and wins a FMVP, there will be talks.

But in the grand scheme of things, Giannis is just better right now due to his height, athleticism, impact and age.

Better yet, if Boston wins is he prepared to say Tatum is better than Giannis

Bron was definitely an athletic force 2008-2010 but he didn't know how to win yet. He needed to be humbled in 2010 and 2011 to go back to the drawing board and reinvent his game and mental fortitude.

2008-2010 Kobe was already a winner and knew how to win. That's why he went to 3 finals, won 2 chips and 2 fmvp and Bron went to 0 finals, 0 rings and 0 fmvp.

NBA lottery pick

Well Dwight and Dirk are better than Lebron as they beat him without HCA with inferior teams.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    I'm taking 2009 Kobe over LeBron. You can't ignore Kobe leading that team to 65 wins in the Western Conference, winning FMVP, while LeBron and co. lost to the same team with HCA.
    Well yea lebrons team is much worse. It’s crazy how that’s just being glossed over in this thread. 09 lebron is one of the best years of his career and it’s not a debate peak lebron>peak kobe even on here. It’s not a strong argument but the west-east record was close that year so you could argue the conferences were close. The west had more quality playoff teams but the East had the 3 best teams after the lakers and the west had a few awful teams.

Winning FMVP can close a regular season gap but it’s not always enough. Unless curry does something really special, Giannis is still bitw right now.

Different scenario. Kobe was 31 in 2009 and closer to his prime while Steph is 33.

And Kobe was dominant in the WCF against Denver and the finals against Orlando. Check the stats.

I seriously doubt Steph has that type of level in him at 33. But if he does Kobe type stuff and wins a FMVP, there will be talks.

But in the grand scheme of things, Giannis is just better right now due to his height, athleticism, impact and age.
    Well stephs prime is better than Kobe’s prime while lebrons prime is better than Giannis’ so even if curry is a bit past his prime, it’s a good counterexample. It will take more than a kobe lvl finals to pass Giannis, steph needs more of a historically great series. Kobe was great but it’s not like a top 10 all time finals series.

Your last sentence applies directly to lebron vs kobe too in 09. Lebron was taller more athletic younger and had a higher impact. The main difference is Giannis got the benefit of the doubt because he won a title last year. It’s understandable but not how we should view players for how they played over an individual season. You’re basically saying if Kyrie wasn’t injured last season, Giannis wouldn’t be bitw right now

NBA Superstar

I don’t need to check the stats I was there and watched. I agree that I would probably trust Kobe more during that period mindset wise. He was not a better player in 2010 though.

Lebrons impact was crazy then. Very similar to Giannis now.

Good college starter

Lebron would have killed to have someone good as Gasol in those three years.

Those were his stats in the 2009 playoffs.

Over 4 games against the Pistons, LeBron averaged 32.0 / 11.3 / 7.5 / 1.5 / 0.8 on 62% TS.

Over 4 games against the Hawks, LeBron averaged 33.8 / 8.3 / 6.0 / 2.5 / 0.5 on 66.6% TS.

Over 6 games against the Magic, LeBron averaged 38.5 / 8.3 / 8.0 / 1.2 / 1.2 on 59% TS.

Overall, he averaged 35.1 / 9.3 / 7.3 / 1.6 / 0.9 with 2.7 TOs on 61.8% True Shooting

Lebron utterly dominated the Magic compared to Kobe.

The only reason why the Lakers beat the Magic was that Gasol averaged 18 and 9 while shutting down Dwight who averaged 15 and 15.

Which was way down from what he averaged against the Cavs as he averaged 26 a game and shot 65% from the field in that series.
    Last edited by coastalmarker99; 05-30-2022 at 10:16 PM.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by coastalmarker99 View Post
    Lebron would have killed to have someone good as Gasol in those three years.

Those were his stats in the 2009 playoffs.

Over 4 games against the Pistons, LeBron averaged 32.0 / 11.3 / 7.5 / 1.5 / 0.8 on 62% TS.

Over 4 games against the Hawks, LeBron averaged 33.8 / 8.3 / 6.0 / 2.5 / 0.5 on 66.6% TS.

Over 6 games against the Magic, LeBron averaged 38.5 / 8.3 / 8.0 / 1.2 / 1.2 on 59% TS.

Overall, he averaged 35.1 / 9.3 / 7.3 / 1.6 / 0.9 with 2.7 TOs on 61.8% True Shooting

Lebron utterly dominated the Magic compared to Kobe.

The only reason why the Lakers beat the Magic was that Gasol averaged 18 and 9 while shutting down Dwight who averaged 15 and 15

Lebron isn't good enough to beat a top 5 SRS opponent with poor scoring and efficiency from a sidekick (like Mo's 18 on 37%).. Lebron can't beat good teams with bed-wetting teammates because his high scoring levels are too ball-dominant to beat good teams.. He can only beat Finals teams with near-equal-scoring partners because his own high scoring levels are too ball-dominant.