Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Talent evaluation over the years. ISH serving up the piping hot takes.

2002:

bballguru
    High School Varsity
    (7/26/02 10:58 am)
    Reply lebron
    harold miner material.

Get off the wagon............he's not going to be a household name, because of image already. Can a superstar just not have tattoes anymore? America wants a jordan type image not a tattoed up freak with a wack nose.

loggin23

High School Varsity Star
    (7/26/02 11:20 am)
    Reply Re: Will Lebron James be a bust...
    lebron has been so hyped up that there is really nowhere for him to go but straight or down. expectations have already been set in, and they are very very high.

playground834
    NBA Starter
    (7/26/02 11:27 am)
    Re: Will Lebron James be a bust...
    Take over the league with a shoot-first mentality on a crappy team. Realises he isn't going to win championships that way after awhile, so changes his game. Basically I see him on the same par as Jerry Stackhouse.

chingchongchinaman
    NBA Superstar
    (7/26/02 1:47 pm)
    Reply hmm
    My only gripe with LEBRON is that from the dunks i have seen etc. HE is not really that athletic. NOt sure if he can do well in the pros..hope he does though.

loggin23
    High School Varsity Star
    (7/26/02 1:49 pm)
    Reply Re: hmm
    compared to lebron, carter and stackhouse had more hops in high school.

playground834
    NBA Starter
    (7/26/02 1:55 pm)
    Re: hmm
    Hops doesn't measure basketball ability

I B STROKING
    NBA Star
    (7/26/02 2:30 pm)
    i read the artically in slam with him and Sebastian Telfair (the highschool junior point guard that they will be jocking in 2005 when he leaves to enter the NBA and also Stephan Marbury's cousin) on the cover and he talk about living up to the hype and how people expect as good as the newspaper clippings say that u are all the time. in a AAU tournment in NY he only score 2 points and it was in the sports section the next day. never mind that fact that his team won cause nobody really care, they were too busy yelling OVERRATED!!!

JohnnySic
    NBA Superstar
    (7/26/02 2:39 pm)
    Lets just wait until he's in the league folks...Lebron James a household name? Ask the average person if they've heard of him. Only die-hard hoop fans know his name. Michael Jordan is a household name.

monthh
    NBA Legend
    (7/26/02 2:40 pm)
    He is not the most athletic, but he is a much better passer, rebounder, and shooter then those guys were. He has good size and pretty good athletic abilty even if it isn't top notch. He might not be a highlight reel, but neither are Paul Pierce or Tim Duncan.

Return of God of BBALL
    NBA Legend
    (7/26/02 2:40 pm)
    Funny kid has another year of HIGH SCHOOL

Forget him not even getting drafted and lacing them up in the NBA yet. He has 1 more year left. Funny how the media can pump you up to be a GOD and in the same story tear you down to be SH!T. The power they have is amazing because the only reason he is getting this much hype if because of them. Goes for alot players but its funny to see how much influence they have on how good an athelte is thru the public.

I never seen this kid play at all. Yet media pumped him up so much its like I can front and defend him saying he will be a superstar in the NBA.

MMKM
    College Hoops Star
    (10/26/02 9:56 pm)
    Reply Re: Will Lebron James be a bust...
    I think he'll be a bust. All the guys that get hyped that early never live up to their expectations. Remember Schea Cotton?

DaHeezy
    College Hoops 6th man
    (11/1/02 5:36 pm)
    Reply He ain't a bust...
    But ain't no super star either...
    Why can't we all just wait and see.
    Member Ronnie Feilds?

Da KO King
    High School Varsity Star
    (2/19/03 2:43 pm)
    He will be a superstar the same way Darius Miles is a superstar. He will dunk on someone and people will say that makes him good.

TheKingOfVa
    Strong playground player
    (9/10/03 12:00 pm)
    Reply Re: lebron
    he will be iight not a 30pts 6 ast 6 reb guy like Kobe and T-mac now. He will be a bust as the number 1 probably but end up to be a decent 14 pts 3 ast 7 reb Lamar Odom type guy. This is just my guess.

Default Re: Talent evaluation over the years. ISH serving up the piping hot takes.

2009:

Curry

He's the next Mo Williams. Will make a good complimentary shooter.

Curry is just not that good; you have to watch him, not just read his boxscore. He is a bigger AI-lite at best (ball hog rookies can't find good homes) with better three point shooting. (His brother Seth will be a better prospect in a few years).
    ^
    Warriors fan

Another Warriors fan:

If we draft Curry i will crucify Walsh. I can already picture him pulling the "Reggie" card like he did last year with Danilo. He already passed up on Lopez, Gordon and DJ for a role player.

Curry is a volume shooter and won't get to put up 20 shots like he did in college. Will never be Mo because he's built like a little girl and doesn't have the quickness to get to the rim and finish.
    I'd much rather have Flynn, Clark or Henderson. And i wouldn't get mad if we went with Derozan

Curry is like 6-1, 175. On the mid-major level he gets some steals, but isn't good on defense. He is quick, but he isn't strong and won't be able to get to the basket in the NBA. He is a shooter. He is a Dell Curry, Steve Kerr, Tim Legler type of player. He isn't going to be able to hit 3's like that every night in the NBA and will just play spot minutes and be instant offense off the bench. A rotation player, but not a 6th man that plays starter minutes or anything.
    He's like AJ Guyton or Trajan Langdon, a one-dimensional shooter who's severly undersized to play the 2 in the NBA, he lacks size and athleticism, and useless on defense.

A mid to late 2nd rounder.

Curry might go round two. Then will end up maybe living out his rookie contract. Then he will hit the bars and talk about the good old days of the ncaa run tha led to him getting drafted.

I don't understand why people are so high on Stephen Curry... what position is going to play in the NBA?? Does anyone actually think he can run an NBA team at the point, or even guard ANYONE at either PG or SG??

My NBA comparison for him is Eddie House

I can't believe people think Curry'd get iso'd. He won't be able to get open without a screen in the NBA. I think he's got a role in the NBA, but I'm amazed he's rated so high in some mocks, he's a early 20s pick at best. I just don't think his game'll translate.

I do think Donnie Walsh saying he wants him is a smokescreen, certainly wouldn't be the first time.
    Curry is a role player at best, there is no way he should be going Lottery outside of him having big games last season in the NCAA Tournament.

Lester Hudson is a much better player but wont even get drafted.

I swear 1/3 of GM's only watch ESPN to scout basketball players.

Bayless, Gordon and Mayo are all better than Curry.

Curry is just the flavor of the month.

Bayless, Gordon and Mayo will all be lotto picks.

Curry would be a late first rounder.

Comparing Stephen Curry to Reggie Miller is laughable.

he barely gets shots off against short college level guards. he's a poor man's jannero pargo. and he's a future second round pick.
    After Stern announces the pick:

no no no no no no no no no no

why warriors why

horrible horrible pick for the warriors

this is exactly what i didnt want

GOBB
    Curry will make many people eat crow. They'll end up arguing for Curry in threads acting like they werent nonbelievers prior.
    Random I stumbled over:

LeBron James -

Quote:
    Of all the players in the NCAA tournament, James singled out Davidson sophomore Stephen Curry as the one he's most eager to see play at the next level. "He's a very, very, very, very, very good basketball player," James said. "I don't know if he's coming out (in the draft) this year. When he does, he has a spot."

Default Re: Talent evaluation over the years. ISH serving up the piping hot takes.

Bit on Harden

We all obviously know Blake Griffin is best player in this draft and he is a lock to go 1st overall, but who is the best player in this draft outside of Blake Griffin ? If you asked me this 2 weeks ago i wouldved said James Harden, but he seems to dissapoint everytime the pressure is on. Makes me think, can he handle the pressure of being a Top 3 pick or will he crack on the pressure.

Harden is looking more and more like another Cuttino Mobley.

James Harden I haven't seen much of, except that overtime win against UCLA, but all he did was draw a bunch of fouls. He reminds me somewhat of Paul Pierce, but I haven't really seen enough of him to judge.

James Harden: I know he had a horrible tournament, but this guy is very good fundamentally. The next mayo.

Whiiiiiiiite guys

Once Morrison plays a season, you are all going to regret this silly comparisons.

Adam will be Adam Morrison.

Not all players are comparable. The best comparison I've seen for him is Glenn "BigDog" Robinson. Think BigDog but not so much into posting up. Has Larry Bird spot up ability, and face up ability. Huge drive too. He will succeed.

Nuff Ced.

there's no way morrison's gonna be a bust. He's way too determined, way too skilled, and way too willing to work on every aspect of his game, and that includes defense.

I'm baffled at why the percentage of people who see that Aldridge is gonna be abust is anything short of 100%. His softness is staring you right in the face.

Morrison will be Rookie of the Year. He'll be an allstar in no time. Unless his career is sabotaged by people who don't want white guys to be successful.

Jimmer....

I just watched him chuck contested 3 after 3 after 3 and miss like 90% of them. He's the reason they lost. He's horrible and just another puppet for BSPN to hype up.

If he tries that sh*t in the NBA, his ass will be benched within the first 5 minutes of his rookie debut for the entire season.

At least Redick played within a system and shot 3's from inside-out offense. But this guy literally takes the ball in the half-court, dribbles to the 3 point line, and chucks a 3.

I don't care about his teammates' offensive abilities/inabilities, he plays like a moron. And any idiot would know for sure that the coach didn't draw up those "plays."
    Am I really this much smarter than you f*cks?

Seriously, you all tout Irving as a clear #1 pick prospect and yet someone who plays in a similar fashion is a second round grade?

Fredette will be a good point guard in this league. I see very little that separates him from Mark Price while a lot that reminds me of him. He has a nasty change of direction dribble, has an epic release and creates great elevation on his jumper.

These traits alone will allow him to be a starting point guard in this league. I find it laughable the amount of hype that goes to point guards like Irving and players like Wall when skillsets like Jimmer has is far more difficult to find.

I'd take him with a top 5 pick.

Guy can flat out score, no matter who's on him. He's not going to see the double and triple teams in the NBA.

Some NBA level defenders he's gone up against:
    Dropped 25 on Tyler Honeycutt (long, athletic and 6'8"; excellent defender)
    Dropped 43, 30, and 25 on Kawhi Leonard (probable lottery pick and known for his stellar defense)
    Lit up Elias Harris (another NBA caliber athlete) for 34.

I found a post of mine apparently saying Marcus Camby > Kevin Durant in college and wanted to slip it in to see if anyone would notice....but it would have been too obvious.

Blaze, you got any on Dirk/Wade or Darko/Oden. How far does that shit go back, '02?

Ha, well at least LeBron seemed right

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Blaze, you got any on Dirk/Wade or Darko/Oden. How far does that shit go back, '02?
    You don't even need ISH for that. Chad Ford said Darko would be better than LeBron..

"Return of God of BBALL" is still right.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    You don't even need ISH for that. Chad Ford said Darko would be better than LeBron..
    But what really excites them is his mature low-post play. "More than Nowitzki, Gasol or even Divac, Darko has a nasty streak in him that will help him succeed in the post," a league executive said. "A lot of the Europeans are really threes in the pros. He'll be a true low-post player. His coach is doing us a huge favor by forcing him to develop those skills now. He already has moves that remind me of (Hakeem) Olajuwon in the post. Once we get a hold of him, the sky's the limit."

I stopped trying to make predictions about draft prospects a long time ago. I dont watch much college ball any more and even if i did, i doubt i would be able to make good predictions consistently.

It is a different game in the NBA. Some guys show or develop skills nobody saw coming (Kawhi is a recent example). Other guys look good against college players but completely fall flat in the NBA (ex Derrick Williams, Thomas Robinson).

I am very confident that Zion will be a star but in general i avoid trying to predict what college players will do in the NBA.

No ISH in 98 for Dirk. closest you would get to that would be Hoopstv which several ISH people did post on....I had an account in maybe 2000 but I dont know if I really used it. I barely remember it. I might be able to find some ISH talk about Darko....

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents

Wade was an undersized shooting guard who couldn't shoot. There were definitely some reservations about him.

JohnnySic and DaHeezy are old as fvck

Im surprised im not in those quotes about Curry.

I was mad the warriors chose him we already had way too many guards we needed a bigman.

Over the time I learned in the NBA you draft talent over need.

Closest we are gonna get:

May 22, 2003 #1
    Can you believe that luck? Damn. Maybe the NBA Champions will come out of the East this year. Carmelo or Darko with Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Chauncey Billup, and who gives fcuk else? Damn.

luck??? no, i don't think so. the only word to describe this is FIX!!!!!!

detroit's gotta take carmelo, he'll be their leading scorer his rookie season, will give them rebounding that they need, and give them a chance at a championship his first year in the league. he could be like worthy was with the lakers, good team ends up with a high ass pick, who ends up being the x-factor. or detroit could trade that pick, you could get almost anyone you want for carmelo.

They will take Darko. Thats what the guy that asked them said. He really impressed them in workouts.

^
    *****that ones me****

Darko and Wallace is a crazy tandem in the post. Prince is a prospect at the 3 and Rip/Billups is close to the best backcourt in the East (in terms of scoring.)
    Could be a shift in the balance of power...
    And to think they got the pick for Otis Thorpe

Well, time for me to leave the Cavs fam.

playground834
    Posts 6,104
    Unread post May 22, 2003 #10
    im glad i joined the cavs bandwagon before they got the number one pick