Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    National High School Star Akeem34TheDream's Avatar

Default Re: Pat Beverly on watching film of Gobert.

He has an unlikeable character. Fragile, unfunny and prideful.

Not even sure Rudy gobert parents would campaign for him as much as some folks. Sheesh. Lol

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Is it the social media eras immediate access to everybody’s thoughts and half the sideline comments or is he the most disrespected defensive player with his accolades?
    It's the social media era. Can you imagine the shit Gary Payton would write if he played?

Players roast him forreal damn

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Gary would talk more than he’d be talked about. I don’t k one who from the past would get the disrespect Rudy gets from other players. Dwight is the closest but it wasn’t like…in his day. At least I don’t think so. I could be wrong. He had clown tendencies.

Rodman was mocked for his antics but not his defensive ability.

I don’t know if DPOY guys really get mocked by their peers like this.

Mark Eaton today would be mocked I guess. But he wouldn’t play too much on most teams. And he didn’t have an easily mocked personality.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Mark Eaton today would be mocked I guess. But he wouldn’t play too much on most teams. And he didn’t have an easily mocked personality.
    Eaton was mocked by anyone paying attention at the time. Would have never played in the league if not for renowned comedian Frank Layden. Sat the bench in college. He certainly wouldn't be in the league today. Jazz tried to hide him at half court on offense so he could get back and stand in front of the basket with his arms up. 46% on short bricks and missed dunks. It's not a coincidence that they went to another level when he had to retire. Playing 5 on 5 at both ends was a game changer. Who would have thought?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akeem34TheDream View Post
    He has an unlikeable character. Fragile, unfunny and prideful.

When he said he'd lock up shaq I lost it. Rudy Gilbert is bascally a poor mans mutumbo. He probably grew up on baguettes and pastries but still looks like he's starving. And if he did put on weight he'd lose the mobility that makes his defense good without the post skill to capitalize on the size gain. He's just a bum in general. French people are known for their arrogance though. And their softness.

Eaton was mocked by anyone paying attention at the time. Would have never played in the league if not for renowned comedian Frank Layden.
    And yet the other coaches were content to name him defensive player of the year back when they voted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Why does he lead them disproportionately to regular season success versus playoff success?
    Honestly that's not all his fault. Teams target Jazz because they have the worst collective perimeter D from guards in the league. Rudy often goes back to the rim when they get beat, and and it's an easy bucket from someone else. If he didn't have to pick up their ass all the time, he would look significantly better. Not 35-45m good but still great.

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    Honestly that's not all his fault. Teams target Jazz because they have the worst collective perimeter D from guards in the league. Rudy often goes back to the rim when they get beat, and and it's an easy bucket from someone else. If he didn't have to pick up their ass all the time, he would look significantly better. Not 35-45m good but still great.

The problem(beyond choosing to give up 3 to avoid 2 at times) is guys like Rudy in this era are put in that position because they can’t guard everyone. It’s a switch everything league and 4-5 successful stops on a wing doesn’t change that he can’t just go to the point of attack and do it himself like say…Draymond.

Big wings who guard the entire floor are harder to exploit than a rim protector these days. He’s Mutombo not Hakeem and that ability to not be exploited no matter the spot on the floor is key in a league that will put 5 shooters on the floor. You can’t easily make a mobile big have to go help or allow layups because they can just go guard the spot where the action is initiated.

Joakim Noah would be more useful than Gobert for some matchups. Kevin Garnett ideally. Guarding the paint when nobody on the other team really needs to go to the paint to hurt you is an obvious issue. Teams drive to create threes not to score these days. If you collapse in to stop it you play their game. And if you are relegated to help D by a lack of mobility you’re susceptible to that attack.

That’s why perfectly good interior defenders get flat out benched at times these days. Teams will play 2 points and 3 wings and leave him with nothing to do but leave one open or stay out of the way entirely.