Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default “I'll stab you with the sharpest knife I can grab. Come back the next week…

…… and re-open your scab”

Killer instinct. I’d like to discuss it. If you even accept it’s existence. And who you think has it if you do. And if possible do so without the example being any of the following players who I think are about the only ones ever said to have it:

Jordan
    Kobe
    Bird
    Isiah

Who else do you often hear it said of?

They have to make up about 95% of all references to it in ball. And the other 5 might just be Russell and West.

So I have to ask is it a trait just assigned to a few and worn out or do you see enough of it in others to justify the label?

It’s hard to even define. It isn’t just will to win. Lots of guys who play hard as hell never get that mentioned as a quality. It isn’t just being clutch either. Ray Allen made like a dozen big shots even if you ignore his prime. Who ever said he had a killer instinct? You don’t really hear it of super intense guys either. How often you hear KG described that way?

So how are you loosely defining it and do you assign the quality to any but those I mentioned already who seem to own all rights to the term?

Who are the active guys you give that label?

Dame?

Default Re: “I'll stab you with the sharpest knife I can grab. Come back the next week…

All the greatest Finals game performers, easily

Default Re: “I'll stab you with the sharpest knife I can grab. Come back the next week…

We all know who doesn't have it

People have their own subjective definition of killer instinct is why it's hard to define.

What it actually is: "an aggressive tenacious urge for domination in a struggle to attain a set goal"

I'm guessing not many players have this kind of urge. I don't even think Bird has it. Meanwhile, there might be players who has this urge but just not good enough to dominate. i.e Patrick Beverley.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    …… and re-open your scab”

Killer instinct. I’d like to discuss it. If you even accept it’s existence. And who you think has it if you do. And if possible do so without the example being any of the following players who I think are about the only ones ever said to have it:

Jordan
    Kobe
    Bird
    Isiah

Who else do you often hear it said of?

They have to make up about 95% of all references to it in ball. And the other 5 might just be Russell and West.

So I have to ask is it a trait just assigned to a few and worn out or do you see enough of it in others to justify the label?

It’s hard to even define. It isn’t just will to win. Lots of guys who play hard as hell never get that mentioned as a quality. It isn’t just being clutch either. Ray Allen made like a dozen big shots even if you ignore his prime. Who ever said he had a killer instinct? You don’t really hear it of super intense guys either. How often you hear KG described that way?

So how are you loosely defining it and do you assign the quality to any but those I mentioned already who seem to own all rights to the term?

Who are the active guys you give that label?

Dame?
    Good list!

It gets difficult when a guy like Dame who is so good during clutch time but has some games where his intensity isn't great in a close out game. He doesn't necessarily smell dieing flesh the whole game. Russell, like KG, plays hard all the time so seeing more intensity is going to be harder: sobeit, he does go more into a frenzy, not necessarily an instinct you want to see. Giannis has the instinct despite playing hard all the time. He could do 180 blocks on centers, chase down blocks, clutch free throws, key three pointers... .

I had an uncle that played his reel to reel of Frazier humiliating Jerry West in an elimination championship game over and over. It was one of the best finals games ever. Interesting because Frazier was uncommonly cool so people didn't even call him clutch mainly due to his style. But he was very clutch. I didn't see enough to say, killer instinct man, but in that game he manifested it. Duncan also had the instinct but style makes you not want to say killer.

Robert Horry had it. Something took over him in close crucial games. He was a below average player to me except when he could eliminate a team - a true Game of Thrones guy. Magic Johnson and Lebron both had something extra that would manifest in big times. And yeah, there would be bodies after they attained that higher level.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Joe Johnson

NBA Superstar

Of current guys Luka and Jimmy Butler are the closest.

jordan kobe bird isiah thomas scottie barnes

all HOF top-tier players

Some guys just get a boost from pressure. One of the great aspects of all sports is finding out who has it.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el View Post
    Some guys just get a boost from pressure. One of the great aspects of all sports is finding out who has it.
    But that's being clutch. That's different imo.

Killer instinct is about giving something your all when giving less would have sufficed. It's probably closer in spirit to being a good front runner than it is to being clutch.

Very good NBA starter

Classic eminem line. Still don't give a ****

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce View Post
    Classic eminem line. Still don't give a ****
    Trash rapper, that only whiteboys like

Good High School Starter Chuckbe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
    Trash rapper, that only whiteboys like

Imagine if kd won two rings or more without the aid of a superteam. He would make that list.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Dirk. Maybe Paul pierce.