Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2022 off-season - a big one!

Ben Anderson: The @Utah Jazz are hosting an off-season free agent mini camp tomorrow. They’ve traditionally done this during the off-season amid draft workouts, and it’s where they found Royce O’Neale in years past.
    – via Twitter BensHoops

After weeks of conversations with ownership and management, Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyder’s future remains unclear and a possibility exists that he could decide to end his eight-year tenure with the franchise, sources told ESPN.

– via Adrian Wojnarowski, Tim MacMahon @ ESPN

While talks are described as “good faith” attempts at a resolution that’ll keep Snyder, discussions with owner Ryan Smith and CEO of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge have yet to secure the coach’s return for next season, sources said.

The Jazz has offered to extend Snyder’s current contract, which has two years left including his option for the 2023-24, sources said. The organization would also welcome Snyder simply returning on his current contract for next season, sources said.

There’s no timetable on reaching a decision and talks are expected to continue, sources said. Conversations have largely been centered on philosophical issues and how the sides can work together moving forward with a franchise trying to make the next step in Western Conference contention, sources said.

Snyder expressed no interest in discussing open jobs in the marketplace this offseason, sources said, but sitting out a season would certainly leave him one of the most sought-after candidates in 2023 and beyond. Snyder has been recovering from hip surgery since the Jazz were eliminated in six games by Dallas in the Western Conference quarterfinals.

ridiculous that they are waiting on him while coaches are being hired. He should have been long gone after the bubble

David J. Smith. Good discussion about the Snyder situation. Tim MacMahon: “My informed speculation is that Quin Snyder is going to end up leaving… if that happens, the Jazz would be appreciative of that decision coming sooner than later.”

The Hoop Collective on Quin Snyder’s looming decision about whether to leave Utah: https://t.co/p9qpVE6Ug4 @WindhorstESPN @TimBontemps
    — Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) June 2, 2022
    Get him out of town! Atkinson is about to take the Hornets job and he should be considered. Vogel?

Juan Hernangomez: “I can’t picture myself returning (to Europe). It’s no disrespect to the ACB or the Euroleague, very much the opposite, I don’t see it as a step back in my career. But when they talk about Madrid, Barça, CSKA… I don’t care. I’m no supporter of any basketball team. I have spoken to nobody or signed any offer.”
    – via Daniel Arribas @ El Pais

Juan Hernangomez on his Boston stint: “I wasn’t happy there, it was very hard. There was no communication, I didn’t know what was expected of me. There were many super selfish players, no team building. I lost my love for basketball a bit.”
    – via Daniel Arribas @ El Pais
    only a couple selfish ones in Utah

Why do I get the feeling Johnnie Bryant will be a shoe-in for the Jazz job since he's tight with Mitchell?

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Why do I get the feeling Johnnie Bryant will be a shoe-in for the Jazz job since he's tight with Mitchell?
    yeah. Maybe Hayward and Millsap will be back for their guy too

And right now, the roster has a lot of questions without a lot of ready-made answers. League sources say multiple teams have called the Jazz to inquire about the trade availability of Mitchell, only to be given a firm no. The Jazz have made it clear they intend on building a roster around Mitchell. The only thing that could possibly pry Mitchell from the Jazz at this point is a monstrous offer. They simply don’t have the intention of trading him.

– via Tony Jones @ The Athletic

But nearly everyone else, including star center Rudy Gobert, has some sort of availability on the trade market. League sources suggest Gobert and small forward Bojan Bogdanovic have been two names that have garnered significant interest from teams. The Jazz expect to be a team that will be aggressive on the trade market.

I'd push Conley and Clarkson. maybe Gay and others depending on who is the new coach and what those guys bring back in their deals. Bojan to 6th man. He does one thing well. He's made for the role

The Jazz are likely going to be aggressive on the trade market and could make a trade that affects the top of their roster. At the same time, sources tell The Athletic, the Jazz have no plans on relinquishing their status as a year in and year out playoff team in the Western Conference. And they have every intention of trying to continue their years-long pursuit of putting themselves in a position to compete for a deep playoff run, even a title run.

Seven names comprise the initial list of head-coaching possibilities, several league sources tell The Athletic.

Phoenix assistant Kevin Young and Milwaukee Bucks assistant Charles Lee are also two names who hold interest from the Jazz, according to league sources, as does Boston Celtics assistant Will Hardy. Adrian Griffin, an assistant for the Toronto Raptors, and father of lotto prospect A.J. Griffin out of Duke, has also been mentioned.

Sources say that list could expand, and that, as of this minute, is a preliminary one. But the Jazz have a base from which to work when they sit down and ready themselves for the interview process. Internal franchise discussions, sources say, are expected to start as soon as Monday morning, but the Jazz are expected to take their time in the process.