Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default For what it's worth, Jokic & Giannis on pace to break the single season PER record

https://www.basketball-reference.com...er_season.html

I don't put huge stock into that stat, but I honestly didn't know this. A bunch of people always use PER, thought I would have seen this being discussed on ISH.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Default Re: For what it's worth, Jokic & Giannis on pace to break the single season PER recor

Just a ridiculously stacked era.

Today to be the best you have to dominate in multiple facets. Jokic isn't just a good passer, he's arguably the best. While being by far the best post scorer in the NBA and an elite rebounder. Exceptionally high bball IQ as well.

LeBron changed the NBA

Giannis, Jokic, and luka are all LeBron disciples.

Lebron pioneered this super player era and it adds to his legacy.

Default Re: For what it's worth, Jokic & Giannis on pace to break the single season PER recor

Jokic's also on pace to finish 12th in WS/48, 1st in BPM, and 24th in VORP

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    For a sec I thought you were talking about 2022 ranks, then realized those are all-time single season ranks.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Just a ridiculously stacked era.

Today to be the best you have to dominate in multiple facets. Jokic isn't just a good passer, he's arguably the best. While being by far the best post scorer in the NBA and an elite rebounder. Exceptionally high bball IQ as well.

LeBron changed the NBA

Giannis, Jokic, and luka are all LeBron disciples.

Lebron pioneered this super player era and it adds to his legacy.
    I know you're brain-dead trolling but no

As I understand it the big flaw with PER is that it overvalues inefficient scoring. You can raise your per just by chucking up shots even if you shoot a bad percentage.

Neither guy does that though. I do wish Giannis would stop shooting 3s ffs.

Hard to analyze stats across eras, even advanced ones. However, the eye test doesn't lie: these guys are all-timers. No doubt about it. These two are looking like the best of their era.

Quote Originally Posted by BigShotBob View Post
    I know you're brain-dead trolling but no
    All the best players are multifaceted beasts like lebron.. they took pages out of his book.

He changed the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    For a sec I thought you were talking about 2022 ranks, then realized those are all-time single season ranks.

He would join very rare territory. Of guys to finish top 25 in all 4 categories

Jordan several times
    LeBron several times
    Curry in 2016
    Robinson in 1994

Curry didn't change the game... that's a complete myth...

The NBA was gonna evolve to 3pt heavy shooting regardless of if he existed or not. That was just a natural evolution of the game.

Otoh, LeBron changed the way great players are judged . There had never been someone like LeBron who dominated every facet of the game while being the leagues smartest player

His domination gave birth to players like Jokic, Luka, Embiid, Giannis and all the greatest players today. Their development was predicated on LeBrons game...

He completely changed the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    As I understand it the big flaw with PER is that it overvalues inefficient scoring. You can raise your per just by chucking up shots even if you shoot a bad percentage.

Neither guy does that though. I do wish Giannis would stop shooting 3s ffs.

Funny story, the original statistical model John Hollinger devised for measuring player efficiency ended up ranking David Robinson as the most effective player ever. Hollinger decided nobody would take that seriously, so he tweaked the formula to something where MJ came out on top.

(True story.)

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Funny story, the original statistical model John Hollinger devised for measuring player efficiency ended up ranking David Robinson as the most effective player ever. Hollinger decided nobody would take that seriously, so he tweaked the formula to something where MJ came out on top.

(True story.)
    The guys at Basketball Reference also tweaked its BPM stats because Westbrook broke it.

Why was BPM changed?

The simplest answer: Russell Westbrook. Westbrook's 2016-17 MVP season graded out at 15.6 in the original BPM. Essentially, his 10.7 RPG and 10.4 APG broke the interaction terms between those statistics. So Westbrook's great season ended up being 20% better than any other season in the database, which just didn't pass the smell test. Along similar lines, assists without rebounds and rebounds without assists were penalized in the original BPM (hurting the likes of John Stockton, Steve Nash, Hassan Whiteside and Patrick Ewing).

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post

(True story.)

Never heard that but lol.

I have seen a couple of math experts who studied the formula say it overvalues inefficient scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Never heard that but lol.

I have seen a couple of math experts who studied the formula say it overvalues inefficient scoring.
    I think it really likes rebounding, too.