Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Turn the pro bowl on for a second. It’s on espn.

The main problem is they make too much money and everybody has this "omg what if they get hurt in a meaningless game!" mentality. Like they couldn't get hurt on any of the 100s of other plays in regular season games. They need to add incentives to all star games like they used to have in baseball where conference winner got HCA in the Finals. Give them something to play for and the kid gloves come off and it becomes something worth watching. Otherwise get rid of it.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    The main problem is they make too much money and everybody has this "omg what if they get hurt in a meaningless game!" mentality. Like they couldn't get hurt on any of the 100s of other plays in regular season games. They need to add incentives to all star games like they used to have in baseball where conference winner got HCA in the Finals. Give them something to play for and the kid gloves come off and it becomes something worth watching. Otherwise get rid of it.
    With the NFL I kind of understand it. I don’t like it, but I get it.

The NBA is exponentially more stupid though because the risk of injury is nothing comparatively. It’s just laziness. I truly believe that HCA should be decided but the all star game. At least for a couple years just to see what happens.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Nah you need to see this for yourself. I demand it. I won’t be alone in having to witness what’s going on.
    I watched the highlight called “Patrick Mahomes throws pick six with fake lateral” thinking it was gonna be a good play.

Yeah. Saw enough. Wow.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Thanks for sharing that = I never saw that hit before and he literally lifted both his feet off the ground and sent him backwards with the ball flying out = wow!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

They are literally….literally…playing 2 hand touch.

The refs have just started blowing the whistle when contact is gently made. People paid to watch a walkthrough. It’s always been less physical than real games for obvious reasons but it’s even further gone than the nba game.

We really need to just abolish the exhibition games that go with being named to these teams.

Make it a weekend of individual games and contests and be done with it.

I can’t imagine it makes that much money anymore.

The time for serious games to let stars compete is past. Which league will be first to stop the sham? The nba has made changes to freshen it up but still. It’s a dying concept. Someone has to let it go.

Has to be nfl right?

This going on right now is madness. Though as I say that I see the passer is at least being rushed right now. I bet someone had to go talk to the players during the break.
    haven't watched a pro bowl in years ... never was entertaining , and now that I know the NFL is like the WWF (I don't care about any of it as a whole)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    years ago in a sand lot game I got waxed like that ... Woke up (saw stars , crowd around me) Stood up , and said lets go , trust me , I was looking every where ...lol

7-time NBA All-Star

It's 2022

This kind of stuff is standard

The modern sports business model is to give as little value as possible... As little as you can get away with

And let's change the rules to make offense as easy as possible - this neat, organized, beginner format produces players with less pure instinct and skill for the game than previous eras.

That's the modern sports business model - as long as there's more points on the scoreboard than before, most fans won't notice or care.

Pro bowl is a waste of time. I have not watched it in probably a decade.

I also stopped watching the NBA all-star game a few years ago. I might tune to it in the 4th, but I don't pay attention.

I would agree they should cancel the exhibition games. Celebrity game, sophomores vs juniors, NBA all-star game.. Cancel it all. Just have an all-star Saturday with skills challenge, 3pt shootout, and dunk contest.

I don't enjoy the dunk contest anymore either. I don't know what you would replace it with though. They tried Horse some years ago, but that was not fun. What else can you do that would be worth trying? Maybe an expansion of skills competition for a part 2, but I don't know what you can do basketball-wise that would be entertaining..

Perhaps expand the dunk contest to bring in other professional dunkers? Perhaps replace dunk contest with people who do cool stuff at halftime shows like stack up 20-30 chairs on top, etc. Make it a cool talent competition? That might get beyond basketball exclusive things though
    Last edited by bladefd; 02-06-2022 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Pro bowl is a waste of time. I have not watched it in probably a decade.

I also stopped watching the NBA all-star game a few years ago. I might tune to it in the 4th, but I don't pay attention.

I would agree they should cancel the exhibition games. Celebrity game, sophomores vs juniors, NBA all-star game.. Cancel it all. Just have an all-star Saturday with skills challenge, 3pt shootout, and dunk contest.

I don't enjoy the dunk contest anymore either. I don't know what you would replace it with though. They tried Horse some years ago, but that was not fun. What else can you do that would be worth trying? Maybe an expansion of skills competition for a part 2, but I don't know what you can do basketball-wise that would be entertaining..

Perhaps expand the dunk contest to bring in other professional dunkers? Perhaps replace dunk contest with people who do cool stuff at halftime shows like stack up 20-30 chairs on top, etc. Make it a cool talent competition? That might get beyond basketball exclusive things though
    1 on 1 or 2 on 2 tournament. EVERYBODY would tune in to that.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    It's 2022

This kind of stuff is standard

The modern sports business model is to give as little value as possible... As little as you can get away with

And let's change the rules to make offense as easy as possible - this neat, organized, beginner format produces players with less pure instinct and skill for the game than previous eras.

That's the modern sports business model - as long as there's more points on the scoreboard than before, most fans won't notice or care.
    6th graders today have more skills than Jordan did

They're draining 3's and making passes Jordan NEVER made... that's how much the game has advanced since baldans time

Go away old man, your time is a joke and your hero is dead

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    6th graders today have more skills than Jordan did

They're draining 3's and making passes Jordan NEVER made... that's how much the game has advanced since baldans time

Go away old man, your time is a joke and your hero is dead
    This is a 10/10 low iq post

Congratulations

I’m all for many more individual skills competitions in every sport.

Every all star weekend should be a legit break, where the real focus is on light hearted but still competitive individual skill contests.

What could rival the dunk contest or 3pt shootout ? The home run derby ?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Finally….

Finally….

Maybe the other leagues can follow suit. I admittedly haven’t watched the MLB all-star game in 20 years, and never watched the NHL, so if those are somehow legit whatever, but I would not miss the NBA all-star game at all.

If they get rid of all star games, I would hope they would still give out all star recognitions even if they don't play the game. Being named to an all star team is still something players value on their career resumes.