Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Turn the pro bowl on for a second. It’s on espn.

They are literally….literally…playing 2 hand touch.

The refs have just started blowing the whistle when contact is gently made. People paid to watch a walkthrough. It’s always been less physical than real games for obvious reasons but it’s even further gone than the nba game.

We really need to just abolish the exhibition games that go with being named to these teams.

Make it a weekend of individual games and contests and be done with it.

I can’t imagine it makes that much money anymore.

The time for serious games to let stars compete is past. Which league will be first to stop the sham? The nba has made changes to freshen it up but still. It’s a dying concept. Someone has to let it go.

Has to be nfl right?

This going on right now is madness. Though as I say that I see the passer is at least being rushed right now. I bet someone had to go talk to the players during the break.

Default Re: Turn the pro bowl on for a second. It’s on espn.

Yeah.

Time to get rid of the weekends and also the popularity contest.

Name the literal best players in each position, throw some more on the bench, but skip the event, give the players a weekend off to rest (NBA) and then full steam ahead to the playoffs.

It's just a fashion show now with cringe celebs, cringe ego feeding to players and a boring game that will never be anything else.

The gimmicks have just made everything even worse

The skills competitions and all are fine for the most part. Occasionally amazing. You can get people to try at those. A one on one contest would probably get some actual effort too. Maybe limit it to guys on rookie contracts so winning half a million might actually matter. You can do things.

Just don’t play a game nobody cares about.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I’m good. I’ll take your word for it.

The pro bowl has always been the most absurd. These guys are just coming off a 17+ game season, you'd have to be legitimately insane to give any effort playing football in a literally meaningless game.

Sadly, it may take a star suffering a significant injury in one of these games for one of the leagues to dissolve it.

Nah you need to see this for yourself. I demand it. I won’t be alone in having to witness what’s going on.

Retired

the only time I ever watched even a minute of the probowl was when kobe died. I've known its a joke since I was a kid

Nfl football is a religion in American. Millions of people will watch it every year no matter how “soft” the game is. It’s not going anywhere any time soon yall. Once again football is a religion in America. People will take whatever they can get and watch it

The pro bowl and all star games were not always a joke. Less intense but a real game. Back in the day guys used it to prove who was best. Kareem is still salty Willis Reed got an mvp over him in one. He mentioned how all the players saw it as an even playing field to prove themselves away from the unfair advantages of one guy having the best team. And as late as the 90s you could see guys laid out on the opening plays in the pro bowl.

It was stupid but they cared a bit.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    The pro bowl and all star games were not always a joke. Less intense but a real game. Back in the day guys used it to prove who was best. Kareem is still salty Willis Reed got an mvp over him in one. He mentioned how all the players saw it as an even playing field to prove themselves away from the unfair advantages of one guy having the best team. And as late as the 90s you could see guys laid out on the opening plays in the pro bowl.

It was stupid but they cared a bit.
    the nba allstar game died after kobe retired. he's the last guy to have literally any pride whatsoever.. the east vs west thing being abolished didn't help either. that was where most of the pride came from. like who the **** gives a shit if "team lebron" wins or loses unless you're a lebron fan

I thought we had a few decent nba all star games recently. The new rules made the players go hard toward the end of the game. The dunk contest is the event that needs help.

Also probably need to put a rule where you can’t be team captain two years in a row. Lebron picking teams for the fourth straight year is a bit much. I mean he already does during the off-season!

These things were also from a time when there was no sunday ticket, nfl red zone, or prime time games on 4 different nights per week. Nor even round the clock internet coverage and highlights.

Tuning into the Pro Bowl was one of only about 25 opportunities a year to watch pro football.

Nowadays we are football saturated with endless coverage and packages and prime time games. On top of which there are far more other options outside of football altogether. Also players were less pampered and therefore took at least some pride in actually performing respectably.

Theres no reason to watch a pro bowl exhibition today.

Just none.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Pro Bowl used to be pretty entertaining when I was a kid, one of the best hits I've ever seen came in a pro bowl game, think it was Sean Taylor who layed out a kicker.

But it has become a joke, the players don't play any defense whatsoever and it seems like some players who were selected always never even participate in the game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Okay i turned it on for a sec....its hilarious lmao

There's literally no point