NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Default If this were to happen in 2100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIxRVfCpA64

I'd be in deep shit trouble - Patrick would be my neighbor

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: If this were to happen in 2100

I'm living in your head rent free buddy.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    I'm living in your head rent free buddy.
    this above comment would not of been said 6 months ago .. (I see you think we are all good)

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

My immediate thought was "Idk if I'd be alive then. Sorry future generations". Then I went down a rabbit hole of researching artificial immortality or enhancing lifespans.

https://www.biospace.com/article/abb...-immortality-/

It is very well that telomeres, the protective end-caps on chromosomes, shorten as the body ages. Each time a cell divides, the telomeres become a little shorter. When they hit a critical length, cells no longer divide or die. Researchers, such as those at Stanford University School of Medicine, have developed experimental procedures that result in lengthening the telomeres, which appears to make the cells “younger.”
    We're closer to this shit than I thought. Wild.
    Last edited by j3lademaster; 01-04-2022 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    My immediate thought was "Idk if I'd be alive then. Sorry future generations". Then I went down a rabbit hole of researching artificial immortality or enhancing lifespans.

https://www.biospace.com/article/abb...-immortality-/

We're closer to this shit than I thought. Wild.
    I don't like all this playing god shit. Life works fine as it is. Big dillemas come into question if lifespans are doubled or something...what happens to populations numbers, what happens to the family dynamic etc. People need to die more not less, this idea of everyone having to be saved and kept alive as long as possible is crazy to me, too many of us already

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54 View Post
    I don't like all this playing god shit. Life works fine as it is. Big dillemas come into question if lifespans are doubled or something...what happens to populations numbers, what happens to the family dynamic etc. People need to die more not less, this idea of everyone having to be saved and kept alive as long as possible is crazy to me, too many of us already
    Doesn't matter. Billionaires who want to live forever will fund it and it will happen.

It'd be a fascist dystopia with a one child policy though I'd imagine. That's if most people can even get it. I'd imagine the billionaire class would just keep it for themselves. The rest of us in the bottom 99.999% will just get priced out.

Heads will roll if that were the case

Heads will roll if that were the case
    Will it? People die because they're priced out of medicine all the time, and we seem to keep that contained well enough. Whether it's medicine or enhanced lifespan, you're essentially getting priced out of life either way. I guess if EVERYONE was in an uproar that'll be a different situation.

edit: They're probably using Hurley as a test subject already. A 56 year old woman, let alone a British woman looking this good:

Last edited by j3lademaster; 01-04-2022 at 09:03 PM.

Medicine is one thing, elongating life with the fountain of youth is another. I doubt populations will just be OK with elites having access to that and continuing to **** us over by living even longer while we don't have access to these fountains of youth. I know humanity too well to think there wouldn't be massive uproar.

Medicine is one thing, elongating life with the fountain of youth is another. I doubt populations will just be OK with elites having access to that and continuing to **** us over by living even longer while we don't have access to these fountains of youth. I know humanity too well to think there wouldn't be massive uproar.
    It's not a well defined line in the sand. A lot of modern life is so artificial we might as well be playing God. Knowing human nature, the envelope will continue to be pushed. But I'm of the opinion that with any "progress" something of value is inevitably lost. Notwithstanding that a lot of the times it's a beneficial trade-off.