Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: If you wanna see Google squirm read their Twitter topic on losing ESPN for YouTub

When you realize that Disney owns 67% of Hulu and that’s where the live sports fans are flocking it’s even more diabolical.

Default Re: If you wanna see Google squirm read their Twitter topic on losing ESPN for YouTub

Don’t wanna make another digital rights topic so I’ll add this in here…..

Leaks say Apple just got the rights to NFL Sunday ticket and maybe redzone from direct tv. Apple gets fully into the game they and Amazon will divide up the pie and nobody else can compete.

The nba is gonna milk one of them for league pass rights.

John Skipper the ex ceo of ESPN said on a podcast that everyone knows live sports is the only things keeping pay live tv going and that both apple and Amazon are ramping up to take it. Apple has a long term plan to get an Apple TV into everyone home to replace cable boxes and they need sports to do it. Amazon is already trying to fold all these new things into prime. Like Thursday night football. You can only see it on prime video going forward. Amazon and apple will take all these can get of both the nfl and nba before dividing up college football.

He talked about how one of them will eventually just offer to buy espn from Disney since it’s really nothing for them to absorb and how if they refuse it’s not impossible one of them simply buys Disney itself.

200 billion is doable for Amazon or Apple. And if they do it…and wall off espn…they take over tv. Congress would have to stop them.

You might hate espn but entire industries live off it. In 10 years it’s probably all just apple. Apple already replaced some spectrum cable boxes and just fold their service into it.

They are coming for the holdouts that won’t get iPhones.

Funny enough I just started using a two week free trial of YoutubeTV to watch all these games

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Still reading about the cap ramifications and I keep reading how the last spike is how the Warriors got the cap space to add Durant. If agents are smart enough to keep their people available 3 summers from now we are gonna see some wild super teams. Every team will have space. Whoever the best team is in 2024 will likely get cap space to add another max or near max player.

When does the league just refuse to keep adding to the salaries of the same number of players and decides to just add teams for the same money? They are just gonna accept paying guys 85 million for a season with it still increasing?

Would the union be against adding 100 roster spots that lowers average pay but increases opportunity?
    I'm pretty certain, yes.

Unions in general do not serve the interests of future members, prospective members etc. From what I've read in the past, every agreement they make is based on the best interest of current members. In many cases they fight against things that would benefit the health of the business overall, not simply make owners richer, because long term revenue and future opportunity etc is not their concern. Their concern is always what the people currently in the union will benefit from during their own careers.

That said, it is a negotiation and if the owners want expansion the union may concede that in exchange for other concessions from owners. But in principle the union would not be on board with expansion.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 04-19-2022 at 10:53 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Funny enough I just started using a two week free trial of YoutubeTV to watch all these games
    No need

https://scor.nbabite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Bookmarked.

Great thread by kblaze.

Refreshing to see amongst all the self unaware slobbering sizequeen fanboys, metaphorically sh!tting all over our sidewalks.

Preciate ya, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I'm pretty certain, yes.

Unions in general do not serve the interests of future members, prospective members etc. From what I've read in the past, every agreement they make is based on the best interest of current members. In many cases they fight against things that would benefit the health of the business overall, not simply make owners richer, because long term revenue and future opportunity etc is not their concern. Their concern is always what the people currently in the union will benefit from during their own careers.

That said, it is a negotiation and if the owners want expansion the union may concede that in exchange for other concessions from owners. But in principle the union would not be on board with expansion.

The obvious benefit they sell to current members is more roster spots gives more spots for veterans who would otherwise be forced out by young prospects. More Haslem roles to go around on 17 man rosters with 32 teams.

They get the apple and Amazon money in on top of networks and eventually every state gambling?

The cap will be too high for 30 teams won’t it? The rosters are too small to have a cap like the nfl. A 200 million dollar cap in like 10 years is what? 70 million first year max contract? 90ish million final year Supermax?

I know it sounds impossible but before 2015 individual non all stars making the entire cost of some modern championship teams seemed impossible too. That shit is gonna go crazy.

Seattle, Vancouver, Vegas, London, Paris, and Barcelona all get teams and the players would still be richer than we ever thought possible.

Owners gonna want to sink 350 million down a guy like John Wall to maybe not play in the future? The massive money of bad contracts might be the tipping point for the league to make concessions on team sizes and totals.

The child support owing vets would probably vote to allow more teams if they get more years in the league out of it. 200 million cap, 32 teams(small expansion) and 17 man rosters still have average salaries around 12 million. Better than ever. Reduce games to 72 to help the load managers out….the lost games made up by more teams and bigger rights deals. Everybody wins.

^ Yeah thats true expansion may be a lifeline for some subset of players. Those guys would probably have to do some politicking within the union itself to get the majority on board, but Im sure it’s not impossible. And I agree there may be other factors that could increase the overall financial appeal of expansion for the union, I guess it would all depend on how the math works out. If members are gonna give up some per capita salary as a percentage of the players’ cut, I imagine theyd want some hard proof that revenue will go up enough to compensate through higher gross earnings.

As usual a lot would depend on the leadership in the union, because you know most players simply do not care or pay attention. Theyll just go along with whatever is decided.

Well this is possibly happening now:

.John Skipper the ex ceo of ESPN said on a podcast that everyone knows live sports is the only things keeping pay live tv going and that both apple and Amazon are ramping up to take it. Apple has a long term plan to get an Apple TV into everyone home to replace cable boxes and they need sports to do it. Amazon is already trying to fold all these new things into prime. Like Thursday night football. You can only see it on prime video going forward. Amazon and apple will take all these can get of both the nfl and nba before dividing up college football.

He talked about how one of them will eventually just offer to buy espn from Disney since it’s really nothing for them to absorb and how if they refuse it’s not impossible one of them simply buys Disney itself.

The new/old ceo of Disney acknowledged it.

Disney is open to potentially selling an equity stake in ESPN — and is looking for a strategic partner in the business, CEO Bob Iger said Thursday morning.

Iger adds Disney is also open to spinning off its legacy cable networks and ABC.

You’re gonna get breaking news before too long that Apple or Amazon bought espn. Then or the Saudis. Espn is nothing to them. Saudis especially might want to take a look. Is there a better way of “sportswashing” than to own espn? Half the company would quit and someone would come along as a new major landing spot. Probably apple or Amazon if they don’t get espn.

One way or another someone is gonna take it over and reshape American tv with it. If apple or Amazon get it cable is finished or just migrating itself to streaming on apple/fire tv.

Disney got me now. They removed all ESPN channels from spectrum right at the start of football season because they know spectrum won’t stand up to this pressure from their customers. Diabolical. Disney actually released the statement and cut it off right at kick off last night. College fans are outraged.